Boxfile Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Hanuller

Postby Hanuller » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:48 pm

Very nice layout with beautiful scenery! :lol: May I suggest that you add one or better two railway stations or factories in order to create an even more realistic transport situation? But then you should definitely think about digital control... :roll:

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:17 am

I would have to agree, a railway station would be a great idea as its a main feature! :wink:

I love digital control, you should look it to it! :shock:
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

D2850

Postby D2850 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:37 pm

The layout has had the card base for the track replaces so i took the opportunity to cover most of the inner area with lichen, which i feel looks better. I have some pictures which i need to upload sometime.

re digital control. I already have a digital system (ok a bachmann e-z command) and two locos (bachmann, from a train set). This loco lacks the required room to put a decoder anywhere except directly on top of the motor (in the cab) and the current power supply is sort of incompatable with DCC.

The station is coming on the next 009 layout, which will feature a mooorland terminus of a 'preserved' narrow gauge line. Thye layout will come complete with a run-round loop and siding and use only 2 turnouts on the senic section (I'll leave you to figure out how).

Of couse to have a station also means i need coaches.

A transport system generally needs rolling stock to transport stuff in, and at the moment i am waiting for my roco v tipplers to arrive (in the country) (ok they need to be made first)
Humour is subjective, so please supply your own witty statement.

D2850

Postby D2850 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:57 pm

The layout really ought to have a name - i am open to suggestions

Taw Valley

Postby Taw Valley » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:49 pm

magic roun-a-bout :)

hmmmm , you talk about a transport system , can you not just give cab rides :P

have you thought about making a home made wagon with a silly load on it to have a laugh at :)

ALSO this DCC stuff that people are talking about for your boxfile layout can you not just save money and use isolation brakes in the track , im sure that way you could easyierly have 3 locos going round and round and round and round ----you get the idea :P

I'll_be_in_the_loft

Postby I'll_be_in_the_loft » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:02 pm

How about Lever Arch junction? Just a thought.
My ebay sales may be viewed by clicking HERE.
Feel free to place bids, GENUINE bidders only please.

D2850

Postby D2850 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:35 am

OK here are the photos of the layout with the modified scenery

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:05 am

I'll_be_in_the_loft wrote:How about Lever Arch junction? Just a thought.

Nice! :wink:

D2850

Postby D2850 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:56 pm

Update

I now have rolling stock!
However the couplings prevent the train staying on the track as it goes round the corners. :(
Photos will hopefully follow soon
The layout will be named leverach until such time as someone comes up with something better.

Taw Vally, i will (eventually) make a special wagon for the layout (although it will not operate on it).

The wagon will be...
(drumroll)
A 'small green piece of paper' transporter.

Form 2 sources:
1) this layout is built in a boxfile (which you usually store paper in)
2) the following passage:
Douglas Adams wrote:Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.
Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-decended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are apretty neat idea.
This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerened with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper which were unhappy

The only problem is i cannot think of any reason why the paper would be visible, so it will probably be a 'private owner' wagon.
I am also undecided on whether to have a flat top (ie the wagon is a boxfile) or a peaked roof (as on salt/lime wagons)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”