Clifton 009 Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:04 pm

Thanks for the comments. I'm really pleased with the carriage shed, it's come out just how I pictured it. A bit of weathering and it will be done.

Spavo wrote:Fantastic photo's, looks like such a lot of fun to operate too, very nice work

I've run more trains this weekend than I have since November when I layed the track! Much easier now the sidings etc are ballasted so I can leave the rolling stock on them.

smallman28 wrote:Looks good,like how you tied in the road on the back drop with the level crossing.
I take it that wasn't an accident :wink:

No not an accident! Took a bit to line up though. I had to stick one back scene in front of another and cut at an appropriate point where the buildings could be matched. I then had to re paint the road and pavement on the back scene as it originaly had a fence accross it.

Infrontcat wrote:Where does the road go to on this side of the level crossing?

There will be railway cottages down the front edge of the bit thats currently done, with a small bus stop and turn round point near the carriage shed. The road will go down the front of these from the crossing to the tunnel where it cuts round the back of the carriage shed for access to the depot. There will also be a turning off that goes to the other sidings you can see which will be a permanent way yard, with a small wooden platformed station. I will try to post some sort of picture that shows this better![quote]

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:29 pm

Nice work Jason. Blackening the ballast around the sheds has made all the difference, and the whole thing is looking great. I like the idea of completing all the scenic work in one area - would mean there's always some variety in the stuff to be done.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:39 pm

guitardave_1 wrote:Nice work Jason. Blackening the ballast around the sheds has made all the difference, and the whole thing is looking great. I like the idea of completing all the scenic work in one area - would mean there's always some variety in the stuff to be done.

Thanks. Yes I agree. It's hard work ballasting & rust painting the track. I would get fed up if I tried to do it all at once. Also at least I can take pictures in one area that looks ok! The ballast does look better around the depot. I tried blackening a test piece first as I didn't want to spoil the ballast after hours of work!

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Update

Road added using grey tarmac scatter (2 coats), white lining to do. Cottages & Terraces in position (Not stuck down). Bus stop bottom left - will be making a small shelter for this. Station platform at the back now in position, with ground level signal box. Fencing in front of the back scene continues.

Just making the Wills timber yard kit - this will be going this side of the level crossing on the right.

To do next:
Finish fencing in front of back scene, ballast in front of platform and make the ramps etc for the crossing etc etc!!

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:34 pm

Update...New Trees etc

Made some more trees today. They look a bit fresher than the first ones I made. All made with Lichen & twigs. The newer lichen I bought yesterday looks better than the old stuff (Tree on left). Does Lichen deteriorate?? Whats it made of??

Also built and painted the Wills timber yard.

The Classix truck is liveried for a timber company so I will use the same name and colours for the sign on the building. you get loads of timber with the kit aswell, need to glue this in stacks and maybe paint it.

Also ballasted accross the front of the station platform.

Undercoated the Harlech Castle diesel loco I'm building.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi Jason

That timber yard is a good model and will look good once in place! Great to see the progress you have made. The road looks good and I like the bus :)

Just wondered what you were going to put in the wee bit of 'land' inside the road loop. Would you maybe put somat like a war memorial in it or a statue there? It could be an interesting feature!

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:11 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Hi Jason

That timber yard is a good model and will look good once in place! Great to see the progress you have made. The road looks good and I like the bus :)

Just wondered what you were going to put in the wee bit of 'land' inside the road loop. Would you maybe put somat like a war memorial in it or a statue there? It could be an interesting feature!

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim.

I was thinking the same thing about the bit of land in the middle of the road. It's not very big, but big enough for a memorial or maybe a couple of the new trees. It was originaly going to be a roundabout!

The bus is a Western Welsh Leyland Tiger as I thought the welsh theme works well with NG. I also bought a Crosville Bedford OB for board 2 as it will tie in with the slate mine scene I am planning - both are Corgi OO. Will post a picture of both these at some point. I also have a few more Classix vehicles. I think they are good quality and not too expensive.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:02 pm

Update...Ballasting etc

Ballasted infront of the platform now, just need to weather it a bit. Also finished the fencing in front of the back scene.

Not decided how to surface the platform yet :? Thought about covering in fine stone except a stone slab edge? - Any suggestions??? The gap in the fence is where the station building is going.

Also ballasted infront of the other tunnel portal.

Also here are the local buses:
Crosville Bedford OB for board 2 & Western Welsh Leyland Tiger for board 1. Will probably change the destination on the Tiger to Clifton.

Level crossing to finish next.......

blackpool_fy2

Postby blackpool_fy2 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:06 pm

Great ballasting, there. Particulalrly outside the tunnel portal. Great buses. I've got that Bedford one, too. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Thomas.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:01 pm

Update.....Work done on level crossing etc

I have finaly got round to making the level crossing. The gates have been stuck down for a couple of weeks. I used Wills wood effect sheet for the base. Will paint this dark and weather it a bit. Wanted the crossing to look like an old wooden one.

Also found a problem with the trees I made. They are dieing :( . I think the All Purpose glue I used to stick the lichen to the twigs has killed it off :roll: . So I have painted one with PVA and sprinkled scatter on it. I think it looks better than before :D , so I will do them all like this now.

I have also started the following bits as I like to have a few different things on the go!!:
Lining the inside of the tunnel with black card and made a suitable base for the removable top.
More rolling stock - 2 bolster wagons & a goods brake van.
Scratch built station building with canopy.

Pictures of the above to follow when they look ok :wink:

Blaqkaudio009

Postby Blaqkaudio009 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:33 pm

your right, the tree looks ace! and i like the wooden effect, very nice!

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:07 am

I love the fencing against the back scene, that really works well and frames the whole scene.

Mark

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:54 am

Hi Jason

Top job on the level crossing young man! Looks really good and I like the scratchbuilt base ;)

Good idea too re blackening out the tunnel as it always enhances the view through the portal. I'll be most interested in how the station is developing so please pop up a couple o' pix when you're ready, even if only part done as I like 'under-construction' shots 8)

As for the buses, they are a superb buy :)

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:33 pm

Infrontcat wrote:I'll be most interested in how the station is developing so please pop up a couple o' pix when you're ready, even if only part done as I like 'under-construction' shots 8)

Here you go Tim. Just added some more bits tonight.
Still a bit to do.

Starting work on the canopy tonight.

Infrontcat wrote:As for the buses, they are a superb buy :)

I like the buses too. Even though it's only a small layout I think I might invest in a couple more :wink:

smallick

Postby smallick » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Excuse me being foolish, but what is the problem you are having with your trees? I was gonna do the same thing using twigs and litchen. Is the problem with the PVA and the litchen or the PVA and the twigs!!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”