Clifton 009 Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.

Postby 80064 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:26 pm

Looks cracking little layout! Always kind of fancied 009, but don't know too much about it.

I had a look at the early stages of this thread and some of the photos aren't there anymore....was one of them the trackplan as I'd be curious to see it....?

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:30 pm

80064 wrote:Looks cracking little layout! Always kind of fancied 009, but don't know too much about it.

I had a look at the early stages of this thread and some of the photos aren't there anymore....was one of them the trackplan as I'd be curious to see it....?

Thanks.

Hmm. I made the mistake of moving some photos in Photobucket. Didn't realise what would happen as I was new to using it! Yes there is a plan, but it's not been posted on here as it's on excel and I don't know how to get it on here!! I tried xtra cad, but gave up with it :? When i get chance I will print a copy & take a photo of it!!

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:57 pm

80064 wrote:Looks cracking little layout! Always kind of fancied 009, but don't know too much about it.

Here is the plan for board 1:
The centre area has some cottages and a road through from the crossing down to the shed area:
More progress has been made on this, so I will post an up to date photo when I get chance.

The actual track location bares a close resemblance to the measurements on the plan :roll:

Board 2 looks like this at present:
I use this to allow a longer run round for the trains. I have a plan for it, but it's under wraps as it keeps changing!

There are also a couple of points to allow for future expansion (SWMBO has not noticed this :wink: )

Thanks for your help in sorting the jpeg Dave :wink:

Postby 80064 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:10 pm

No worries, and looks good. Are the boards 2' x 1'? Was trying to work it out in old money....! Also are the backscenes papered that sky blue or painted?

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:26 pm

80064 wrote:No worries, and looks good. Are the boards 2' x 1'? Was trying to work it out in old money....! Also are the backscenes papered that sky blue or painted?

The boards are 68cm x 125cm and are 12mm Ply with a frame under.The dimensions are deliberate as 68cm wide allows the boards to be carried out of the room without tipping them up. 125cm long was the minimum to allow the size of oval & siding lengths I required.

The photos don't show the sky colour very well. It's an emulsion called "Cloudless" from Wilkinsons. I painted the back boards then cut the sky off the Peco back scenes and stuck them on (With a careful bit of matching / overlapping and adjustment where the crossing is). I have some tester pots in other shades for adding clouds at some stage. Board 2 is still grey primer.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:16 pm

Update......Detail Added To Station

I have now added some detail to the station to bring it to life:

Postby 80064 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:03 pm

Absolutely stunning little layout, well done! Had a good look at the pics now and very impressed with your work, it looks very real and yet fun - good balance. :D

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi Jason

Great to see this little cracker is developing nicely. Wonderful detail around that signal box :D

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Krislights

Postby Krislights » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:24 am

J...
Had another look at your curves, having spent a bit of time trying to bank what I thought was a pretty easy bend.. to try and get backwoods Lyn round... I reckon a 15 '' curve minimum, on a banked curve, if you are thinking of going brass...
Will let you know after Owain Glendawyr is made..
Fat Bu**er at 8 foot plus, over the rails...
If the wheels don't fit...
it's probably narrow-gauge.
"Awkward thinking".

Krislights

Postby Krislights » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:28 am

Incidentally, loads to read on Everard Calthrop'sbook on how they built the Leek and manifold. Not only were his couplings used on the L & B, but was major engineer in Narrow gauge... and lived just around the corner from me... so doing alot of reading ATM...
But.... Bank your curves... will get you that extra centimetre or so... fiddle a bit....
"Awkward thinking".

Krislights

Postby Krislights » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:41 am

Worked it out on a bit of paper, but really worth a look at the book, if you are doing countryside corners...
"Awkward thinking".

Clifton009

Re: Clifton 009 Layout

Postby Clifton009 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:13 pm

Thanks for the comments.

K I know what you mean about the corners! I have been looking to see what N locos I have that can be used to donate a chassis. I have a Pannier Tank 0-6-0 that is ok & 2 x Prairie Tanks 2-6-2. The Prairie Tanks only just go round the corners! I think most locos I will make will be 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 anyway. I will probably use the Prairie Tanks though as it will save me some cash :wink: I have 2 bodies lined up for purchase :D Will finish Prince first though.

Not got too much done on the layout this week as I have been working on Prince. I am also part way through making 2 x Hudson 3 planks wagons, 2 x small 2 axle carriages, 1 x open bogie carriage! They are taking a while as there is a fair bit of painting to do.

I have done some work on the Permanent Way / Goods Yard - platform painted, track rust painted & ground covered in scatter. Ballasting to do next.

Only about 3ft of track still to rust paint now :roll:

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:01 pm

Update......New Rolling Stock

Not got much scenery done over the last couple of weeks as I have been building more rolling stock...

Open Carriage:
I have added more detail to this then previous carriages, including brass handles & hand rails. Will probably retro fit this to the other carriages.

Local Train:
The local train consists of 2 Hudson 3 plank wagons & 2 Ashbury carriages.

santene

Postby santene » Thu May 01, 2008 10:08 pm

cool considering how long ago? you were at baseboards i think this layout had orgressed fantasticlly
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Update......Goods / Permanent Way Yard Ballasted

I have now got the goods / permanent way sidings ballasted. Had a lot of trouble getting the points to work again :oops: All the other points I have ballasted so far have been fine, but these two seemed to get really glued up. Running ok now though after some tinkering :D Just need to touch up the rust paint.

This just leaves about 3ft of main line across the front (Including 2 points) to rust paint and ballast on board 1 :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”