Clifton 009 Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

smallick wrote:Excuse me being foolish, but what is the problem you are having with your trees? I was gonna do the same thing using twigs and litchen. Is the problem with the PVA and the litchen or the PVA and the twigs!!
Not exactly sure.

I used All Purpose glue to stick it to the twigs, but I think that the solvent started to kill the lichen - the twigs are fine. The lichen started to fade and the little bits on the ends seemed to dissapear, leaving the "skeleton" :shock: I suppose it kind of shriveled up. Also some bits went a bit brown. It was perfect until I glued it as I picked the best bits to stick to the twigs. As far as I'm aware the lichen is a living moss type thing, which I pressume they spray with paint which then sort of preserves it. I think the solvent in the glue has then poisoned it??? I also stuck some lichen onto a test piece using PVA, this also now looks a bit dead!

I think the trees look more realistic now anyway!!
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

smallick wrote:Excuse me being foolish, but what is the problem you are having with your trees? I was gonna do the same thing using twigs and litchen. Is the problem with the PVA and the litchen or the PVA and the twigs!!
Following on from previous post:
Here is a comparison on the trees.

Left hand one is newly done. Middle one is about a month old and dieing!. Right hand one is the one that I stuck the scatter on. The left hand one is fluffier than the othe 2 were.
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Update....Progress With Station

Here are a few pictures showing the progress on the scratch built station and canopy:

Further detailing added to building. Just painting & glazing to do now.
Still need to glaze the canopy. Will do this after painting.
zabdiel

Post by zabdiel »

Clifton009 wrote: Image
Who makes these kits? They're very nice.
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Thanks Zabdiel.

They are Parkside Dundas DM59 & DM61 Ffestiniog bogie carriages. The guard/luggage end carriage is based on an actual Ffestiniog carriage, the standard carriage is just made to match as no real one exists!
Krislights

Post by Krislights »

A very similar coach does exist..[img][img]http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj14 ... 110728.jpg[/img][/img]
If the wheels don't fit...
it's probably narrow-gauge.
"Awkward thinking".
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Update.....More Work Done On Station

I have now started to paint the station building - dark green paintwork & stone base colour, blackened the ballast & rails in front of the station, planted some trees and fenced the platform:

The station canopy is well under way. Just waiting for it's latest coat of paint to dry. Then it just needs glazing & fitting.

Still not decided on what surface to use on the platform.
Curious Orange

Post by Curious Orange »

Clifton009 wrote: Image
Now that is a nice shot, I wish I had room for an engine shed on my layout.
zabdiel

Post by zabdiel »

Those low relief / half relief trees are quite effective! I'd never have thought of trying to fit trees into such a small space in front of the back scene and I wouldn't have though that it would look so good if I hadn't see the pictures.
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

zabdiel wrote:Those low relief / half relief trees are quite effective! I'd never have thought of trying to fit trees into such a small space in front of the back scene and I wouldn't have though that it would look so good if I hadn't see the pictures.
Thanks. The trees are all made from specialy selected twigs. The ones by the station are made to measure! I was very pleased with how they looked. The glue is just drying on the next batch of trees. I definately recomend the method I used to make the trees - Twigs with lichen glued on, paste the lichen with PVA and sprinkle scatter on, leave for a couple of days - I used Javis "Rough Pasture" scatter, but will use different shades on some trees.
Curious Orange wrote:Now that is a nice shot, I wish I had room for an engine shed on my layout.
Thanks. I liked this shot best too! I took about a dozen photo's, this was by far the best. The photo's are taken in macro mode and I tend to get a lot of blurred ones :roll: The shed was always going to be a key part of my layout. I traded the possibility of a larger station to get the loco & carriage shed area. I will make a larger station on board 2 when I get round to it (probably 2009!). I'm just scratch building a coaling platform etc for the shed area.
Chuffer Chuff

Post by Chuffer Chuff »

Jason, the layout looks awesome! 8) You have done a great job with the station and it fits in really well with the backscene. I particularly like the last photo with the busy engine shed! The trees are superb!

By the way, what do you use for ballast? :D

Keep up the great work!
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"
Blaqkaudio009

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

it is a very nice layout! just hope my next one can equal it!
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Thanks for the nice comments :D
Chuffer Chuff wrote:By the way, what do you use for ballast? :D

Keep up the great work!
Chuffer Chuff the ballast is Javis Extra Fine. All the others I saw were far too big and looked out of scale. I have had the same problem with coal. I have now managed find some that looks the right scale! It's called Carrs Dark Grey Ballast (Small) - looks black to me & the size is just right i.e. won't look like huge rocks! Pictures will follow when I have completed the scratch built coaling platform I am working on and loaded the 2 coal wagons I have.
Blaqkaudio009

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

ite, just wandering how you operate your points?
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Blaqkaudio009 wrote:ite, just wandering how you operate your points?
The old fashioned way :wink:

None of those point motor thingy's in Clifton :lol:

All are within easy reach. Gives me something to do & requires no wiring.