Bunji's Layout - Smellitt & Runn Sewer Construction Co.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bunji

Bunji's Layout - Smellitt & Runn Sewer Construction Co.

Postby bunji » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:16 pm

After being inspired by 'That Dam Railway', I began to think more about focusing a layout on the construction of large-scale civil engineering. I chose a sewer layout after reading about the Mt. Albert Tramway in New Zealand. This was a small industrial line used to build a sewer tunnel beneath a residential neighbourhood. So then I thought 'why not expand?' There we opportunities for spoil dumps, an industrial yard and lots of different bits of rolling stock. So I drew up a nice plan:

I've planned everything out (as always!) I've also started scratchbuilding the supply hut out of some spare balsa wood. The dimensions of this layout are going to be based around the dimensions of the boot of our car. Once I get more information on silent running, I'll get started on it. Narrow gauge heaven, here I come!
Last edited by bunji on Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Raider

Postby Raider » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:32 pm

Nice plan there Bunji - don't think anyone else has modelled a sewer system

Are you just doing this one or are there other layouts as well?

Chris

bunji

Postby bunji » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:51 pm

My previous Brunchton and Son Coilery was given up due to lack of operational interest and the fact that it wasn't narrow gauge. The signature mentioned Porceh Lane Clay is still up in the air; I might build it in the future as a scenic test or as a display for my (hopefully) future collection of rolling stock.

Found my camera and took some pictures of the hut. Still in its basic stages, mind:

This shows the main body of the hut which will be displayed to a viewer. I wanted to include windows, but on a test piece of balsa wood the surrounding material kept breaking. So I boarded up the wall. :D

This shows the door, which will be kept permanently closed. I'm still deciding whether I should board it up as well to make the building completely abandoned.

This final picture shows the high quality building material: sellotape. :lol: I now need to build a roof, paint it and weather it. Not much to do, is there?

grippets

Postby grippets » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:03 pm

Nice plan there bunji, i remember 'That dam railway' from model town that was on discovery channel, it's a great layout
Follow me on Instagram @deanstreetstation

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:05 pm

Nice plan bunji, and a nice start on that shed too!

Raider

Postby Raider » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:50 pm

Cheers for the clarification Bunji - I lose track of who is doing what these days.

Look forward to seeing your progress with the layout

Chris

bunji

Postby bunji » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:43 pm

I've decided to use this model made by Harburn Hobbies for the workers' rest area. I intend to change the 'fish today' sign and replace it with some sewer related notice.

The scratchbuilding is going slowly - I'm practising making a wood effect by scraping grooves into the wood to represent planks. Hopefully I'll be able to find a suitable silent running method and I can begin baseboard construction. Thanks for the support everyone.

mikem

Postby mikem » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:49 pm

Oh dear.....what would be a suitable sewer related reference instead of fish today?

Effluent today? :shock:

Good looking layout though
Will I ever open all these red and yellow boxes?

Phat Controller

Postby Phat Controller » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:48 am

ohhhhh I like that! :D
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

bunji

Postby bunji » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:57 am

mikem wrote:Oh dear.....what would be a suitable sewer related reference instead of fish today?

Effluent today? :shock:

Good looking layout though

I've got to be mature... I've got to be mature! *Reists writing 'poop is smelly' on the noticeboard*

I was thinking about writing some random notice about disease or 'today's jobs', that sorta thing.

I like it too, Phat Controller. Found it in Railway Modeller. It's even cheap at 15 pounds ready assembled! I might wash a diluted black emulsion over it though to get the bricks to be a bit more weathered - they look too bright in my opinion.

Phat Controller

Postby Phat Controller » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:54 pm

It's even cheap at 15 pounds ready assembled!

Bleedin' 'eck!! CHEAP!??? thats $AUD35.00 I dun call THAT cheap! :?

Still it IS nice! :wink:
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

bunji

Postby bunji » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:23 pm

Phat Controller wrote:Bleedin' 'eck!! CHEAP!??? thats $AUD35.00 I dun call THAT cheap! :?

Still it IS nice! :wink:

Seems cheap to me. :P

I've started etching lines into my hut to represent planks of wood. Also, from a suggestion made by dr5euss, I've decided to shorten the hut's height as well. Has anyone ever tried to get a heavily weathered wood effect before? Or does anyone have any suggestions on what paints to use? I'm open to all comments, thanks. :)

Raider

Postby Raider » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:28 pm

I guess if you want it to go black and there is no paint on the wood you could try black shoe polish or cigarette ash rubbed onto it.

I have not tried either of these so have no idea if they would work or not so best try on a scrap piece of wood first.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:57 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bunji

Postby bunji » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:59 pm

dr5euss wrote:To weather wood, most people use india ink with a little alcohol - steady with the alcohol *hiccup*

For that sign, what about:

'Grease in the Gutter' Karaoke Night

Featuring Wendy the Hobo

Singing

~~ Hopelessly Devoted To Poo ~~

Can someone please ban him? :lol: There is actually a hobo camp on the layout, so its possible. :P

Thanks for the tips of weathering. I'll have a muck around and see what suits it. :wink:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”