LNER Rural Terminus

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
thebuisnessman

LNER Rural Terminus

Postby thebuisnessman » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:14 pm

The plan is to build a 2'x8' Endie layout, with a small fiddle yard at one end, feeding into a rural terminus. It will be set from around 1930 - 1940. I am undecided on an exact date. I'd quite like to do a wartime layout, as this gives greater scope regarding loco's etc.

The plan will roughly follow the above plan, with a few alterations.

The layout will be built in two 2' x 4' modeles, with 9 or 15 Pin plugs to carry the current over the joins in the layout. I'll be using a Gaugemaster Combi, along with standard peco point motors mounted from the bottom. Due to the lack of suitable loco's readily availble, stock will consist of kit built coaches (plus a few Hornby Teaks), private owners wagons and LNER branded wagons.

I'm currently repainting some old teak stock and have stripped a few coaches down already. I have bought four loco's this week for the layout - all Hornby ones, a J72, J52, N2 and a B12.

I am hoping to build this layout (excluding locos and stock) in £200 or less. So far, expenditure is quite high, but only due to the amount of stock I've bought.

The plan states an Eastern Region layout, but due to lack of suitable stock on the RTR market, it will be built with a NE theme.

Since last Saturday, I have built the boards...

...and cut up a sheet of Hardboard for the sides. As you can see, it packs up into a nice little box:

Cork tiles have now been glued onto one half of the layout, but I have run out so need to get some more.

I'm probably going to build a fiddleyard too, to go on the end of this layout, about 1'x4' seems about right. Funds are quickly burning a hole in my pocket, but should be on track if all stock is excluded.

Once I get the track (Code 100 Electrofrogs), I will begin the fun task of wiring.

Owen

leopard

Postby leopard » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:30 pm

looks good, nice boards

I have a soft spot for LNER layouts, probably cus you don't see all that many, well except ones stuffed with pacifics of course.

nice plan as well :-)

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:14 pm

The second hand loco's have all been delivered now, all run quite well - the N2 is one of the best at low speeds. When I have spare time, I shall begin to try and detail these up. Does anyone know of any whitemetal detailing kits for these?
Of all, the B12 is the worst in terms of detail as it is quite clunky. Still, it isn't a bad runner and the paint job ain't too shabby either. A bit of improvement needs to be done on the tender connection and some replacement low profile couplings need to go on all. I've also got a few repainted teaks that are in the process of renumbering, plus the Chivers Finelines Pidgeon Van on the workbench too.

Cork Tiles have been layed onto the two sections too, and are due to be fitted onto the fiddle yard once a suitable entry/exit hole has been made in the backboards. The furthest board was corked up, but it wasn't a very good job as it was done with PVA. I found an old pot of Cork Tile Adhesive in the shed and this has worked much better. As you can see in the picture, a rough trackplan to gauge size was done using flexitrack:
I'm hoping to finish the fiddle yard at the weekend - the bulk of it is done but cork tiles need to be laid down and it could do with a lick of paint. I need to drill holes for the bolts to make the two sections fit nicely together into a box and the fiddle yard needs to have holes drilled to bolt it to the other sections. I should also put an order in with hattons for the points and electrics next week if all goes to plan.

Owen

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:02 pm

Looking foward to see how things progress - what kind of buildings will you use? - scratchbuilt, kits, readymade?

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:42 pm

I haven't given it much thought, but mostly from kits if I can. Finding a suitable LNER style station and signal box will probably be the hardest part.

Postby 60007 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:37 pm

I'll be looking at this thread with interest buisnessman, as a fan of the LNER, I'm interested how this layout will come out.

if your stuck for ideas on a signal box, I think a trip to the NYMR is in order!
If I wasn't me, I'd be someone else!

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:41 am

I've been stretching the legs of some of the stock and loco's that I've bought/been building this evening, I quite like this one of B12 8578:

I've also been building a Chivers Finelines LNER BY Pigeon Van:

Owen

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:53 am

Hi Owen

That Pigeon van look superb mate. It looks excellent connected to your subby rake. Awaiting the video with baited breath... :twisted:

Now all you need is a nice quad-art set ;)

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:12 am

Quad Arts...mmmm... Got a spare set? :wink:

I found out that Cooper Craft make a kit of Composites or Thirds... only a snip at £48, but I think I might have to when I get the cash!

And who said anything about a video - you read minds well :lol:

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:03 pm

This is the First time i've seen this thread Owen :oops:

I like the idea of a small Countryside Rural terminus, reminds me of a layout i seen quite a while back but i cant remember the name :x Anyway it showed quite a simple track plan similar to yours and how detailed and the overall effect of the layout was absolutely breathtaking!! So im hoping for the same of yours :wink: A big task but im sure you will be able to create the effect you want to achieve.

Great start and will keep my eyes peeled for new updates :)

Adam

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks Adam. I forgot to mention that I put up a video on the toob of some of my stock on North Clipperby:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cfpcR5__OPE

Onto the layout though. I haven't had much time for this recently, it's been packed away having finally sorted out the bolts to hold it together when in storage. I unpacked it on Saturday and marked out point positions. This morning I cut holes for the point motors. I had originally hoped to use mounting plates, but these didn't work in the end so I bottled out and went for a hole with a plasticard surround between the motor and point.

I'm only concentrating on the fiddle yard/Right board at the moment. So far three points have been laid down along with three more in the fiddle yard. To save on expenses, I'm using old Setrack ones that I've had in a drawer for a couple of years. I tested them and they are fine, just a little dirty on the tops. Nothing elbow grease can't sort out :clap

The join between the two boards is also working well. Once the other board join is sorted and I'm in the mood, I need to work out the wiring. I've got a M/F 21 pin D-Sub for the Fiddle Yard to Right Board to carry over the current/3 point motor connections and a 15 Pin for the Left/Right Join to carry over current on four lines and one point motor and an iscolating switch. I hope it is enough!

Owen

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi Owen,

Coming along nicely, i think your doing the right idea there by working on 1 part of the board at the time than rushing into things! thats the one thing i want to change when i work on my layout!
Setrack points are ideal for using in the fiddle yard and on the main layout if you haven't got enough space, I use them all the time and thank god no Derailments of yet (* Touches wood*) :lol:

Just had another look of your track plan again and realised the amount of space left, (bottom right).......any ideas on what you going to put there? I would possibly suggest a small stream or roughen up grass to create that overgrown state would look great.

Cheers mate

Adam.

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:46 pm

Class 60 wrote:
Just had another look of your track plan again and realised the amount of space left, (bottom right).......any ideas on what you going to put there? I would possibly suggest a small stream or roughen up grass to create that overgrown state would look great.

A cameo! I was thinking of making a small diorama style cameo of the Home Guard (AKA Dad's Army!) training - i.e. bayonets on the end of broomsticks, stabbing sacks of potatos with German WW1 helmets on etc! I'll see how it goes. There will be a road bridge covering the fiddle yard hole, so possibly a small cutting will go in. I quite like the style of 'making the railway part of the scenery', so maybe I'll do that on a smaller scale :idea:

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:43 pm

I got this one out again this evening and did a bit more on the track. The passing loop is now laid, just the two sidings left to go now.

I need to make some removable corner card sections as there is a nasty gap between the baseboards on the corners. I also need to do something similar on the baseboard join to cover up the bad jig-sawing.

Once the sidings are finished, the time honoured and enjoyable task of wiring is to be undertaken :yawn . I've got some 15 and 21 pin D-Subs with Hoods to connect up the three sections. The Point motors will probably be the most fustrating, but thankfully there isn't much to the layout.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”