"Troysdale" in 0-16.5mm .....almost a Micro !!!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:58 pm

A bit more done on the terrace now, the "shop" is covered in stone and the roofs are on,

I cut individual slates for the shop end ( to give an older/aged appearance) and the next 2 I cut them into strips and just picked the odd one or 2 slates to cut short or score a "crack" into, just trying to give them character. You may also notice that "no.3 Station Road" has had major structural damage :shock: :shock: :shock: .

You know those moments when you just wish youd kept your ideas to yourself :?: :?: :?: , well weeks ago I said to my son " it would be cool to model a building with fire damage", I left it at that, and today he came home from school to see all 3 houses with full roofs, well that was it he pestered me until I surrendered and took the scalpel to the roof and heres the result, took loads longer than a standard slate roof but I did get a bit carried away and detailed the Purlin (fire damaged of course) the underfelt, the battens and the broken slates.

Lots more detail needed to this house in particular but its "different and the added bonus is I have 2 less window frames to make as I will just have these bedroom windows "boarded-up" :shock: :shock: :shock:

Enjoy...

Charlie

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:30 pm

Quick update before wife & kids return from shopping & my peace is shattered for the rest of the day :D :P :) .
Continuing the saga of these terraced houses, I eagerly awaited the postman today bringing my ordered windows & frames. I thought I had boxed clever and ordered differentb types from different sources, one set in whitemetal another in resin. Ripped open the packets had a good look and then soooo dissapointed :cry: :cry: :( . The resin ones were "pooh" to say the least, crappy mouldings and mega fragile with almost no resin at all in certain parts, the whitemetal ones well "clumsy" is the best description :shock: :shock: , it seems to get over the flimsyness of whitemetal the manufacturer had decided to add more metal and thicken them up, downside to this was I had window bar mouldings which were thicker than stone walls :shock: :shock: :o .

The family announced they were going on an epic shopping spree , so slightly dissheartened I stared at the parts and decided to get the Plastikard out once again. So two hours later and here we have the result!!!, one scratchbuild sash window & frame (glazed of course) and one scratchbuilt 6-panel front door and frame.

I purposely took these outside to get the reflection of a tree & house in the window panes (how SAD eh???) camera has let me down a bit though :( :(

so I think the row of houses might take a little longer to complete now but they will be TOTALLY scratch-built :P :P :P

Enjoy,

Charlie

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Looks great! Plus you don't have to detail the inside of the fire damaged house, just paint it black, (plus some smoke spread to the middle house?), trust me, it spreads everywhere.

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:57 pm

No direct railway progress as such, But at last came across some ply lining boards and spent last 2 days lining the shed out. Brilliant plywood, 4mm thick covered one side with a textured HD vinyl, used in caravans & motorhomes, If anyone needs some of these boards my local supplier has bought over 4,000 sheets of it slight seconds but at £2 for an 8' x 4' sheet you cant go wrong :shock: :shock: :shock: .

Anyway "troysdale" is in its nice new (well lit) setting now, with a nice big work area for me too, now I wont have to hurriedly scurry evarything away at the sound of tiny ( or SWMBO's) footsteps....

Charlie

PS anyone interested in the Plywood sheets post it up, you will have to travel to East Yorks of course :( :( :(

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:50 pm

DriffCharlie wrote: ... I eagerly awaited the postman today bringing my ordered windows & frames ... Ripped open the packets had a good look and then soooo dissapointed :cry: :cry: :( . ...

I hate those moments too - lessons learned - but you're recovery from the situation was masterful. Very nice work, as is everything else you've done too date. I love the fact your houses are on an incline - nice detail.

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:42 pm

A little more progress, although modelling tme has been very scarce this week.
I made the backboard though its only in white undercoat at the mo, also made a wall to enclose the engine siding, coal water etc...

The station board was recovered from my unfinished 00 layout :lol:

I also made YET ANOTHER waiting shelter for the platform, this is now the third and I am still unsure, heres the latest,

the simple planked wooden shelter,

heres the earlier one

I thought this looked a bit too "expensive/grandeur" for a NG platform but am not so sure the timber planked one looks better or worse.....

.... any Thoughts anyone welcome????

Charlie

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:12 pm

This is coming on really well Charlie.

The wall looks good, very neat.

I like the bench on the platform, what brand is it???

I'm not sure what to think about the platform, I am also in a dilema as to what to cover my platform with :? I was thinking about large slabs along the edge and then sticking a layer of fine gravel on the rest??

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks Jason,
Sorry but I dont know the make of the bench, picked it up on eBay :wink: :wink: ,
I think I have the platform surface sorted, I got some textured plasticard "broken earth" pattern from a wargaming site, this seems as it will look ok when suitably painted/weathered, my real problem is with the waiting shelter.... timber lap.....or...stone built..????? I just cant decide :shock: :shock: :shock:

Charlie

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:41 pm

After working a few more nights on the layout, I have decided to stop any more work on this layout, its not going the way I wanted and if I stop now I havent really lost much financially as most stuff will re-use on another layout.The layout has given me the chance to practice modelling again and I've definately got the "bug" for it again.

The reasons to stop the layout are quite a few but mainly
1. I have ended up with a "typical" station /goods shed, village street etc.. which is not what I wanted and this could have been far easier modelled in "standard gauge".
2. the layout is practically unusable without the traverser which then makes it much longer than my 4 foot "limit".
3. I need "round & round" operation as my 2 year old daughter cant understand why the trains can't run when dad is busy modelling, plus I have no way of "running-in" engines without a 70 mile round trip to a friends house.
4. the layout is too "flat" and its not feasable to add a third dimension.

So I am gonna start and remove the track/electrics and strip the board.
I have a few ideas for a new layout which will allow me to realise most of my ideas so "watch-this-space" as they say, in readiness of a new layout thread...which will start very soon.

Thanks for all who showed an interest in "Troysdale" , but I hope I'll capture your attention again with the next layout

Charlie

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:24 pm

Seems like a good call in view of your reasoning ... You've certainly impressed with your skills to-date, I think your row of cottages are a little gem. But onwards and upwards and as you suggest - I'll be 'watching this space :)

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:41 pm

Bit of a bump I know, but a slight wiring issue:

The transformer in the corner- BUILD A CASE FOR IT! As it is, you have mains 230v electrics with no casing around it to keep prying fingers away. Also if the mains wiring gets caught up with a loose low voltage wire, the results could be disasterous. Ideally get a suitable metal box to go over it and connect it to earth, but failing that even plywood is better than nothing.

Pete
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:18 pm

Pete calm down and STOP SHOUTING :shock: :shock: :shock: . I am quite happy for that transformer to sit there, Firstly if you expand the photo you will see that ALL mains wires/solder joints/connections etc... are buried in at least 10mm layer of hot glue - that is insulating, the transformer saddle is earthed direct, and all the sockets in my recently rewired (by Myself :shock: :shock: ) house are safely able to cope with a problem. I appreciate your concern but perhaps "tact" is an unknown word to yourself and you could have approached the situation a little better. I had not posted that picture as advising anyone as to "how to wire & site a very dangerous uncased transformer" and was neither condoning or condemning my approach to siting the transformer. Had the layout progressed ( which obviously its been scrapped anyway) I would have, as I always do cased the whole of the underneath of the layout in thin ply .. It protects all the wiring/point motors etc... and with a PROPERLY wired layout its very rare you have to remove it for repairs.

Pete perhaps you could furnish us with a few pictures of your own wiring installation on your layout???

Charlie

Korschtal

Postby Korschtal » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:08 pm

I seem to have missed this thread- nice modelling...
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.blogspot.com

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:30 pm

I agree, you have done some great work on the layout, I particularly like what you have done with the track and the ballasting, looks very realistic! :D

Thats a nice tall water tower you've got there! :shock:

Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing more progress.

....I do happen to agree with Pete on covering that transformer up! :wink:
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:39 pm

Chuffer Chuff wrote:
....I do happen to agree with Pete on covering that transformer up! :wink:

Hi Alex cheers , I too agree with Pete that it DID need covering up eventually , what I dissagreed with was his manner in telling me so :lol: :lol: :lol: ,

But never mind the layout is no more :cry: :cry: :cry:

Question is what will I do on the New Layout :?: :?: :?:

Happy Modelling

Charlie

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”