"Troysdale" in 0-16.5mm .....almost a Micro !!!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DriffCharlie

"Troysdale" in 0-16.5mm .....almost a Micro !!!

Postby DriffCharlie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:53 pm

Well its time to start a thread so here goes, after my intro Here most will be aware of what I would like to achieve, the inspiration is kindly from the micro-layout site once again shown below,

as I'm modelling in 0-16.5 I have increased the measurements on the site's plans a little, but not much as I still have to carry this layout in/out to suit family commitments etc...,
spent the last couple of weeks spare time jointly between launching/selling on evilbay,all my old 009 & OO gauge stuff which has been stored for over 7 years,, but its selling well and using the proceeds back on ebay to buy more 0-16.5mm gear, and the rest of my spare time converting this

to this...

Baseboard is now made and description is covered Here

so just a couple of piccies of this

The track layout is marked out on the surface now

And now 3mm cork tiles are laid and cut to the track layout

I must have had TOO MUCH time on my hands as I have even chamfered all the edges of the cork :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well thats the scene set and hope to have more progress to show soon,

Charlie

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:23 pm

Ok so another installment, not much progress but the baseboard is now sealed/varnished BOTH sides, hopefully will prevent much movement through absorbing any moisture when it has to spend time in the shed,

Pretty AWFUL coulour that varnish but is was only £1 :shock: :shock: at my local hardware shop!!!, also painted the cork under the track grey and temporary fitted the track with good old drawing pins

at bottom corner you will also see my point control switches and the Din plug for the walkabout controller, closer shot below

Also managed to site the point motors, I did fancy fitting slow-motion motors but as I have loads of these from our old layouts I decided they would be good enough

Well thats all for now, have spent today fitting Kadee couplings and experimenting with "burying" magnets under the track/cork....more to follow...

Charlie

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:00 pm

Not exactly my style of loco, but hey each to his own

I do like the neat little bank of switches

Lofty

DaiStation

Postby DaiStation » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:07 pm

That's looking very good; very well constructed.

Is that engine ex-live steam and now electric? I see it used to have a whistle but now seems not to.

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:17 pm

The layouts progressing well, and it looks very nicely built! Those point motor switches are very neat! :wink:

Interesting set of loco's you've got!

Looking forward to seeing some more progress! :shock:
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

bunji

Postby bunji » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:57 pm

That loco certainly looks the part! I love your plan; I'm an avid reader of Carendt as well. Be sure to submit it when it's finished! I'd be interested in hearing more about burying the magnets, I'm planning to use Kadees and hidden decouplers on my layout as well.

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:45 am

Nice work. I thought the ends of the loops looked a bit short but I'd forgotten about the cassette on the plan!

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:39 pm

Not really layout build ...but it is relative to the layout... finally finished assembling my latest present from my wife .....

Very welcome pressie indeed but she did have her reasons... she gets the kitchen table back and also the under stairs cupboard as my large r/c car has to go in there too :shock: :shock:

Got the inside lined with 40mm polystyrene to help combat the weather,

just need to get some wallboards now ( one advantage to living near the East Coast is there is an abundance of caravan manufacturers around here so thin wallboard is easily sourced "hopefully" with damaged corners

Well the layout's here in its new home ( and might just get bigger now :D :D :D )

More to follow on the "under track magnets" later this evening

Charlie

headshot119

Postby headshot119 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:04 pm

Good start, the switches are very neat and tidy.

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:07 pm

bunji wrote: I'd be interested in hearing more about burying the magnets, I'm planning to use Kadees and hidden decouplers on my layout as well.

Well after a bit of expirimenting I think I've found the "happy" solution,
Firstly I bought off evilbay some rectangular Neodymium magnets, I had the intention of rebating the cork underlay and having them sitting directly under the sleepers, tests showed these to be far too strong and they "gripped" the wheels/axles far too much, so I ordered some smaller ones, tests with these were no good as they were nowhere near strong enough once placed under the sleepers, I went back to the original magnets and started to experiment with burying them deeper into the baseboard, eventually tests showed that burying the magnets 2mm below the surface and covering with 2 layers of 1mm plasticard worked, but was still a little too strong, then I thoght what about the 2-3mm of ballast???, so a test section of ballast was laid/glued up and left to dry. Tests showed this to be almost perfect, I obviously have no electrics on my layout yet but LOTS of "PUSH-PULL" tests withn different stock showed they worked just as well as the Kadee "surface-mount" uncoupler so the finished article is shown below,

The magnets are just to the left of the bottom points, obviously you cant see them...thats the idea :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately this next picture has not come out too clear I will try tomorrow in daylight but it should show that both the Kadee couplings are in their "pulled open" state ready to uncouple & shunt.

Below is the piccies of the procedure I used to get there,

After marking the edge of sleepers/track, the track is lifted and the magnets are used to mark the shape of the cutouts,

This shows one magnet glued into the recess & covered with two layers of 1mm plasticard, below is the hole for the 2nd magnet, I used a dremel to make the cutouts and it took no more than a few minutes for each hole to be made, I used Cyno glue to secure the magnets in the holes but be warned they are VERY strong you must hold them till the glue sets or they will leap out and attatch to each other ( I cheated and used 'kicker' on the superglue.

And finally track re-laid you can just about make out the magnets under the track, ready for ballasting over.

Well thats how I did it, probably there is an easier way, but I couldnt find anyone stocking Kadees own under track magnet so I had to do it this way.

One point of note, I have gathered up various s/h stock off ebay to get me going for now and some must have metal wheels some must be Nickel?? or something as some stock is still "pulled" to the magnets but I experimented a little and adding weight to the offending stock lessens the effect the magnets have.

Charlie

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:26 pm

Just to add a note to the magnetic uncoupling system, I installed all the rest today, and on testing one of the pairs of magnets refused to trip the Kadees at all, upon investigating I had the magnetic poles "opposing" each other so the magnetic field between them was making the Kadee's loop stay dead centre. A quick lift of the track dig up with a screwdriver, spin the magnet over & reglue, re-lay track and all is fine again,, So if you choose this route be sure to install with the magnet's poles "attracting" each other.

Charlie

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:53 pm

managed to make a start on wiring the board up today, got all the track feeds in,

I like to use tag-strip for the main track connections, I just solder a bus bar across however many tags I want to connect together,

Should have a few hours spare tomorrow to make a start on wiring the points up :D :D :D

Charlie

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:41 pm

I CAN FINALLY PLAY TRAINS !!! :D :D :D

Got the WHOLE morning to myself and have just about totally wired the layout, here's some "under-the-board" shots

WOW! how much cable just for a 4x2 "simple" layout???,
some close-ups of the CDU, Track Cleaner, rear of Points Switches etc...

Here's the power "distribution centre" so to speak, with track power & a "smoothed" 12v supply for lighting, gadgets etc...

As you can see I like to secure my wiring with the good old glue-gun, I find it very effective, and if any alterations are needed I just use an old tip in my soldering iron and "groove" the glue to release a certain wire,

Next is just a typical points wiring installation, ( the first time ever that I bothered to wire in the frog on electrofrog points :shock: :shock:

VERY pleased to say that the Kadees are doing a fantastic job and have just spent an hour solid, coupling/uncoupling/running round/coupling :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So far the "smile" factor is running somewhere near the roof of the house...
Maybe some scenics next... when I have finished "playing"

Have a good weekend all ( pretty sure I will :D :D :D )

Charlie

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:18 pm

No real progress today..I have been too busy playing trains... cant ever remember it being sooo much fun :D :D :D .

Got most of the rolling stock I've bought up on Ebay, using the proceeds from selling my old stuff, Also laid out a few items to try and get a "feel for the scenery,

This is a central view, obviously there will never be all that stock out but I was just seeing what I had, The water tower I saw on a USA site and I just HAD to have it, should look good when finished look out for the piccies

Next is the right side of the board, In the foreground will be some sort of "private" unloading deck/crane with a bit of a yard probably based around timber merchant/ animal feeds,Behind the red loco will be the platform, I used some foamboard to quickly mock-up a waiting shelter to get an idea of the looks/perspective. Then behind the shelter will be the engine shed.

Then there's the left-hand side, where the vans are will be a goods shed with a small track leading off to the centre of the board, behind them the Moggy Minor is sitting on what will be a road, seperated from rail by some form of fence/wall/hedge, behind the car will be a row of half-relief shops/houses with the road turning sharply into the backboard just before the water tower.

Hope everyones imagination is as vivid as mine otherwise your not gonna have a clue so far. :shock: :shock: :shock: .

If anyone can spot any blundering errors or has any good/better advise on these proposed ideas, PLEASE speak up :idea: :idea:

Charlie

leopard

Postby leopard » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:50 pm

if you have space drop a small sector plate, or cassette thingy on your entrance road, otherise thats so close to perfect it hurts

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”