Walmington Pier Tramway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
piermaster

Walmington Pier Tramway

Postby piermaster » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:14 pm

This is my most minimalist and yet most successful layout! Walmington Pier Tramway is the result of me being brought up in Southend-on-Sea and growing up in sight and sound of the green and cream electric trains.

I built this 3 feet long x 6 inches wide 'HO' layout in 2001 and it has done 42 exhibitions to date! It is just had its biggest overhaul ever and maybe at Trainwest, Melksham this May.

I went for the Edwardian period as it is easier to model using Preiser figures, an 'anglicised' Bachmann San Francisco Cable Car, a scratchbuilt luggage trolley and 30 inches of Peco track!

All 3 feet or 261 scale feet of Walmington Pier.

The newly rebuilt shore end with a Scaledale retaining wall as the forseshore and sand from Wimereux beach (near Boulogne) collected last Christmas Day!

Walmington Pier Tram No.1 (there is only one) pushing the always-empty luggage trolley towards the Pier Head.

Walmington Pier Head with Punch & Judy show, promenaders, Dancing Bear, and the Pier Diver about to demonstrate another dangerous act!!!

The whole length of Walmington Pier towards the shore.

I hope you like it.

Dave.

Blaqkaudio009

Postby Blaqkaudio009 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:39 pm

the water is amazing! what did you use

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:39 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:54 pm

Looking fab. The water is superb, and it's nicely populated. How much work would you say has gone into it?

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Neat model Dave, great water effect. The diver looks like my Great Grandfather.....
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

F-UnitMad

Re: Walmington Pier Tramway

Postby F-UnitMad » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:07 pm

piermaster wrote:Image
Walmington Pier Head with Punch & Judy show, promenaders, Dancing Bear, and the Pier Diver about to demonstrate another dangerous act!!!

A little hint for those unfamiliar with this layout... look closely for who is standing directly behind the man about to dive off the Pier :shock: ... and draw your own conclusions... :P
It's one of my all-time favourite little cameos on any layout I've seen :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by F-UnitMad on Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:08 pm

Brilliant! Didn't notice that

Blaqkaudio009

Postby Blaqkaudio009 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:12 pm

haha! thats ace

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:12 pm

Firstly, to say Thank You for your supporting comments and compliments. I'm not all bad!!!

In answer to all your questions:

1. The water is Heki (formerly Busch) plastic sheets known as 'Seefoil' and originally meant for ponds, I use it as low tide.

2. The amount of hours that went into building and maintaining this layout is incalculable! I built it in 1999 after 10 years of thinking how should I model a pier railway? I didn't exhibit it until 2001 as I was scared to show it thinking that it'll fall flat at an exhibition. I took the courage in 2001 and have never looked back! It has been in the pages of 'Model Trains International', 'Le Train' (French magazine), appeared on The Railway Channel and Anglia News (2-3 seconds), been in the company of Rod Stewart, Timothy West, Bill Pertwee, Ian Lavender and was praised by Cyril Freezer. I think I've done something right?

3. I manually operate it as I need something to do and I usually explain all the cameos and details to the punters. I don't operate this layout - I present it.

This layout has a future as it has been written into my Will that when I depart this earth (either in a soft-shoe shuffle or at breakneck speed), the the layout is handed over to the Southend Pier Museum.

Dave.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:31 pm

Nice pictures :D

I like the fact that this is different.

Great work.

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:35 pm

Certainly is a cracking layout.

It's nice that it will live on and give enjoyment to others for many years to come.

Have you got any other projects on the go at the moment?

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:43 pm

Raider wrote:Certainly is a cracking layout.

It's nice that it will live on and give enjoyment to others for many years to come.

Have you got any other projects on the go at the moment?

Thanks Raider,

My other layout 'Route's End 2' has been posted on this site.

Cheers,

Dave

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:50 pm

I love this little layout! Really interesting and very well built! I love the tram, was it scratch built? :wink:
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:00 pm

Just caught up with this thread and, as a current Southender, I must commend your wee layout. It's terrific! Nice touch about leaving it to the museum too :)

I remember the Green and Cream trains when I was very young and first came down here on a day trip. Sadly, I can also remember the profound dissapointment I felt when I discovered that they were going to stop running them merely months before we were due to move down here! You can at least see one of the old cars at the Lynn Tait Museum in Leigh-on-Sea.

I miss the old wooden flip seats and don't get anything like the same pleasure from the red diesel that has been doing the shifts for the last 20 years or so, though I can remember sitting on the beach and seeing the first run of the new trains. I told my mother when I got home and was promptly told I was making it up :roll: Apparently, it was a test run which hadn't been advertised!
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

wobblybob

Postby wobblybob » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:02 pm

Dave, that is brilliant - and it shows what can be achieved in a small space, but still be crammed with interesting detail. An example to us all!

P.S. Great sign-off quote. :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”