London loft build

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: London loft build

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:44 pm

manna wrote:Nice pics love the chimney coming out of the green EMU, is it steam powered :lol:
:lol:
Thanks for the pictures Lozstlouis. :)
What the hell is that cut and shut tube/train thing on the right hand side of the first picture? :shock: :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

js1975

Postby js1975 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:34 pm

End2end wrote:What the hell is that cut and shut tube/train thing on the right hand side of the first picture? :shock: :lol:
Thanks
End2end

It looks like the sort of thing you see at places for kids to play on!!

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:58 pm

I went to an event organised by http://bit.ly/2iXoWpd at Finmere and there was the 20' sea container which opened out into a static museum thing and then there was a bus, tube, train all mashed together. Must have been some sort of promo idea from the time.

Went to my local model shop today http://bit.ly/1nVZ9Rv and bought some bits to make progress with over coming weeks. Was introduced to the Gaugemaster GMC-PM10D point motor http://bit.ly/2k0aONY and it looks like quite a neat package. Am going to try it out on my test board. See if its any good.

Onwards...
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

js1975

Postby js1975 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:29 am

That point motor looks like a Peco unit with some extra stuff nailed on to it?

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:38 pm

lozstlouis wrote:I went to an event organised by http://bit.ly/2iXoWpd at Finmere and there was the 20' sea container which opened out into a static museum thing and then there was a bus, tube, train all mashed together. Must have been some sort of promo idea from the time.

Ha crazy. :D
Also thanks for the link. Lower down I saw the NSE clock and relised you can click on 3 things underneath to hear station ambience sound as well as the click of the clock and a horn sound.
It gives me an idea. :idea: :) Bookmarked!
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:29 pm

Am doing some working out with points...

My simplistic plan:

Trying to keep it simple.

Onwards...

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:35 pm

lozstlouis wrote:Am doing some working out with points...

I always find that no matter how much planning I do in my head and on paper, it all changes when I start pushing a few bits of track around.

manna

Postby manna » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:24 pm

G' Day Gents

Think I know what's going wrong, it's the curve's that you need to put in to access the middle bit, there to sharp, best way would be to raise the middle bit by 3 or 4 inches, then have an incline on the outside of your 'mainline' so you have a flying junction going over your mainline.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:56 am

Indeed manna it is tight getting into the middle section. In previous versions of the layout (same board setup) the corners were a little tight. However I will explain this as a slow junction. Flyover isn't a bad idea - not sure I can be @rsed to build it though. I'd take the run up from the longer of the sections. Maybe based it on a curved version of Wimbledon flyover http://bit.ly/2krHos5 which has always interested me. Anyway my next mission is to try out the different point motors.

js1975

Postby js1975 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:48 pm

Are you going to try building that flyover?

paule23

Postby paule23 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi there

I'm just starting a loft build. I have a strip light but no power yet, what did you do you get power to the loft?

A temporary solution will be an extension from the landing but I'll need something more permanent.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:14 pm

paule23 wrote:Hi there
I'm just starting a loft build. I have a strip light but no power yet, what did you do you get power to the loft?
A temporary solution will be an extension from the landing but I'll need something more permanent.

Ideally you need an electrician to spur off the upstairs ring main to new sockets in the loft. Lighting is available from the floor of the attic, but it is limited to 5Amps (for lighting) and is a no-no for power. If you don't want the trouble of a rewire, you could run an extension from a bedroom/hall socket (clipped or in mini trunking) up a wall and drill a small hole in ceiling to pass it through and re-terminate in a 4 gang socket.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Although there's no longer a railway up there, both lights and power to the loft are supplied by a 13A extension cable which drops down through a built in cupboard. The plug normally lives in the cupboard which cannot be closed until the plug is pulled out and coiled up on a hook behind the door. No chance of leaving the light, or anything else, on when the loft is closed.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:13 pm

I am a spark (albeit out of date) - so that made it a bit easier. I created a spur from another upstairs socket and ran a 2.5mm twin & earth in the wall cavity so its all hidden from the long haired general. That gives me 13a or 3kw to play with up there. Plenty for model railway activities. In fact all I run off it is the Lenz, some 16v PSUs for CDUs, an LED light, maybe my Dremel. Thats it. If I use the Dyson I usually plug it into the vacuum socket in the hallway. Lighting circuit was already up there when I bought house 15 years ago. I smashed in the Velux. That made a huge difference.

Have started to lay some track so layout version 3 starts! Bit out of practice though... pic to follow.

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:40 pm

So its been a few years since I laid flexi. This version of the layout I wanted to use code 75. So its all flexi - other than pointwork. So I cracked out my Tracksetta things and set to it:

All the tools - slightly not getting the geometry right though!

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

I might need to redo some sections...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”