London loft build

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
lozstlouis

Re: London loft build

Post by lozstlouis »

Having a rethink already... This vid shows the current state.

https://youtu.be/c42lnRpacQs

I am going to not continue with this track layout. You can see some of it isn't right. Have had a better idea. Going to ditch the mid loop/centre run around and make it into a station terminus. Then at the rear and maybe the end make a hidden section with just scenics around it. Another idea I had was to run an elavation behind a hidden section so the line goes into a tunnel but appears on a high level section on the other side of the layout...

So in the top right hand corner of this picture below disappear into a tunnel mouth or suchlike:

Appear at a higher level, maybe 80mm, in the top left of the layout in this illustration:

High level continues all the way down the left hand section:

This centre section then becomes a terminus station. Or some other feature that goes nowhere. Maybe a depot? Maybe too dull. Not sure yet.

All in a state of flux!
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.
js1975

Post by js1975 »

some work to do yet then!!
lozstlouis

Post by lozstlouis »

Well I wasn't happy with what I had done so up it came (again) and then I tried using some set track as a template for the harder parts:

And it came out quite well. Although its a little tight in set track terms so I softened the radius slightly and he flexi looks ok:

Took me a couple of hours hacking about with the Dremel etc but got this junction tacked down ok:

It then occurred to me that I could do bit of a cheat & use set track on what I plan to be hidden sections. I got some of the transition Peco track sections and nailed them into my first area of concealed running:

So after a full evenings effort:

Today I am planning on starting to build an incline which will be concealed - then appear on the other side of the layout. I can't get the scale of the incline right in the space so i'd rather hide it an have the high level track just appear from a tunnel mouth. So it will run hidden on the thing area of baseboard against the rubbish looking wall. That way I can hide the wall, the set track & the incline. Work in progress....

lozstlouis

Post by lozstlouis »

Am in need of a trip here http://bit.ly/1nVZ9Rv this morning. Maybe after I go to Wickes to get some bendy ply for the track base on the slope.
js1975

Post by js1975 »

Did you find a straight in the end? I bet nowhere was open over weekend.
lozstlouis

Post by lozstlouis »

I tell you what JS the whole thing was a fnck about... Anyway Janes sorted me out on Tuesday:

https://youtu.be/h6RjgUqhLz0

Have added the start of an incline.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Looking great. I love the 2 operating wells. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Your gradient is way too steep!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
smeghead28

Post by smeghead28 »

TimberSurf wrote:Your gradient is way too steep!
It is a little extreme ;)
Mine goes up 4 inches over 8ft and that is considered steep!
lozstlouis

Post by lozstlouis »

Its gonna be hidden. Not for viewing. And stock is gonna have to take a run at it. There's no choice as its that or nothing! Love a challenge.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Blimey. Have you tried it yet Loz? Looks like a roller coaster. :lol:

Paul
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Taking a run at an incline is a bit risky even when you can see it. Better make sure there's a way to rescue anything that doesn't make it :o
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
lozstlouis

Post by lozstlouis »

So that section is about a metre long & the incline is about 70mm. Then it stays at that level along a 9mm ply top held up on a length of CLS. Haven't built the descent yet... At weekend I will try and power up that section & run a loco dragging something & see what happens! TBH am not sure what else I can do to maintain what I want in the space available. Experimentation!!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

What's going to have to climb it, the transitions from flat to incline have to be gradual unless it's only 0-4-0s and short four wheel wagons. The ramps up to coaling stages were often this sort of gradient but the loco stayed on the level, and it was the wagons at the other end of the rake that went up the slope.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
lozstlouis

Post by lozstlouis »

Hey Bufferstop - I have pushed a Bachmann Mk1 across the incline/decline & its not binding or fouling. My stock is 99.9% modern image so no kettles here. Its all post TOPS era diesels, multiple units etc. I had an incline on v1.0 of this layout of similar steepness - there's a pic of it on page 4 of this thread. That presented a problem only to my older kit... My weekend test should give me an indication of where this is going!

Until then - well its Friday tomorrow which = B E E R