London loft build

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
lozstlouis

Re: London loft build

Postby lozstlouis » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks guys. The wife's loft project has taken a twist so I can do some railway production in the loft for next few months. Giving it some thought over next few days!

Been to my local for a couple of pints with wife & my daughters. They were absorbed in their various new iDevices whilst me & Mrs Loz discussed the family holiday! Kept off subject of railways - thought that was a good move on my part. Ha.

Right dinner next...
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:23 pm

lozstlouis wrote:Kept off subject of railways - thought that was a good move on my part. Ha.

Very tactful :D

js1975

Postby js1975 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:48 am

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Very tactful :D

Clearly a man gotta know how to get what he wants.... needs in life.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 am

js1975 wrote:Clearly a man gotta know how to get what he wants.... needs in life.

Absolutely! SWMBO got me a lovely new loco for Christmas :lol:

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Well I didn't get anything railway-ish for Xmas. But then again I didn't ask! And we all know the saying. Anyhow the woman & girls went out to the cinema to see some dull chick flick so I decided to fix a nagging but dull important loft task. Required my old chop saw that I acquired in post one of this thread!!

Needed to insert some extra support for the loft boards. Joists are not proper load bearing floor joists - just loft spec storage space joists. But then that's quite normal for an original Victorian loft in what was a two up two down.

It stopped a rather hideous creak. I inserted some more stud work timbers and made a grid in this gap between the ceiling joists. Once completed I had out the last of the old baseboards (railway V1.0) so its completely clear now ready for me to start construction of V2.0 layout.

I will order timber from Champion in sunny SW19 - they charge £1.70 for a 2.4m length of CSL stud which with its planed round edges is nice to work with. Its also treated. Will somehow incorporate the work bench into the framework & include some stock/clutter storage. Am debating on staying with an openframe construction & cut my trackbed from 9mm birch ply when I get to it... Although not totally sure yet.

Have a couple of days flexi in the bank at work and a small timber budget to spend. Just need a fine day so I can cut outdoors in the garden & I should gte bulk of it knocked out in one session. Best get that timber on order!

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:06 pm

Timber coming Friday.... excitement.

Am inspired by this currently....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... 1988-1990/

Which I think is also on here as well.

js1975

Postby js1975 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:47 am

Have you decided what to build yet?

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:19 pm

lozstlouis wrote:Am inspired by this currently....Which I think is also on here as well.

Yes, the early days of the layout are on here: viewtopic.php?t=29571 unfortunately the owner has moved on and not visited for three years.

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:24 pm

js1975 - not sure yet - read on...!
Lofty - it appears so.

Timber arrived.

Have laid out one half to get an idea of size - am doing an open frame for now out of CSL timbers.

Its not wildly different from the previous framework - just more substantial. Want to incorporate my bench area, some storage & some changes in level so not going to rush into screwing it all together yet... Also got the other wall behind me where I was standing to take the picture. iPhone camera lens isn't quite wide enough.

js1975

Postby js1975 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:19 pm

Hope you're keeping up the momentum!

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Stalled slightly - mostly because on the day I planned to cut and chop timber (outside) it p155ed with rain & then I got called into work & haven't had any time since. My girls are all back at school & college as of today which means no time in evenings either. So the timber is parked in the dining room for now! I think there is a show in St Albans this weekend (1-th/11th Jan 2015) which I might try & attend. Will spur me on!

http://bit.ly/1BBdDGK

scoops

Postby scoops » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:26 pm

Hi mate, I'm sure you know but just encase you didn't, that guy has a brilliant YouTube channel following his build. Well worth a watch. Just type Everard Junction into youtube and you will find it.

lozstlouis wrote:Timber coming Friday.... excitement.

Am inspired by this currently....

Which I think is also on here as well.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:12 pm

lozstlouis wrote:Am inspired by this currently....

May I also point you to his youtube channel. Some excellent tutorial videos on there. :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/EverardJunction
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

bristolmidland

Postby bristolmidland » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:49 pm

What did you insulate the loft with? Looks like just what I need apart from the Kingspan which is expensive.
On top of everything else my football team is owned by chicken farmers.

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:32 pm

bristolmidland wrote:What did you insulate the loft with? Looks like just what I need apart from the Kingspan which is expensive.

Its Celotex http://bit.ly/14GfHDx and I got a deal on a job lot using the councils green discount insulate your home type of thing. Then i covered the Celotex with silver foil bubblewrap stuff from Wickes : http://bit.ly/1xP8hso - whole job was a ballache to say the least but worth it once done. Temperature fluctuations are greatly reduced.

Anyway progress with frame construction today...

Run out of daylight to cut outside so will progress more probably next weekend now. Going to St Albans shows tomorrow. http://bit.ly/1BBdDGK

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”