London loft build

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
lozstlouis

Re: London loft build

Postby lozstlouis » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Mrs Loz has announced that we should consider a proper loft conversion - this is not good news for the railway - but with three teenage daughters we are flat out of space. A house move is off the cards for all sorts of dull reason but mostly cause living in Wimbledon means a house upgrade is about £1million. Which is more overtime than I can possibly do!! So for now work on railway has ceased. I am loathed to put lots of effort into a redesign if it will all have to be ripped out. However I am still buying bits for 'the future' when at some point I can find a long term, warm, dry home for a railway. Until then the current layout will continue to be used but probably not evolve much. But hey its all part of the fun!
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:26 pm

This appeared today - somewhat delayed in the post room at work:

Bachmann Collectors Club - 14 Ton Tank Wagon - Regent. Very neat.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:34 pm

Solution to problem, go all out to get a proper loft conversion, then put your efforts into encouraging your daughters to fly the roost.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:52 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Solution to problem, go all out to get a proper loft conversion, then put your efforts into encouraging your daughters to fly the roost.

Sadly previous modifications to the house mean no proper loft conversion - we'd have to strip the house down to the earth & brick work & start again. Which by chance is what my chum "next door but one" did & cost him £170k...

So back in reality - have ripped up the current layout. Going to tip with it all on Monday. Yes gone.

Then I will relay some of the floor that got damaged during recent bathroom works (plumbing, LX etc) and then I will start again with a whole heap of 3"x2" and build storage, work space, layout (open frame) & a rail to stop accidents down the hatch...!! Too may close calls after a beer or two!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:36 pm

Just found this thread. Horrified that layout being dismantled :o
So started at beginning to get the full story, (several hours later) still confused!
If the loft conversion is a no no, what's the reason for ripping up railway?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:50 pm

My plan is/was to build a new layout in place of the old. At the start of last week we had no plan for any works into the loft as far as living space is concerned. However there have been developments in the last 24/48 hours that could see a total house rebuild. A mega epic job - me, wife & our three spotty teenage daughters will have to decamp whilst work is being completed. The railway loft in this plan will have to give way to bedroom space... I do have a rather substantial brick out building that I could at a political stretch use as a railway room - but more likely this will get upgraded into a teen den for them girls. It may be a couple of years before get a bedroom back to use for railways. My eldest is 16 & ready to join HM Forces (which one we're not sure yet) when she's 18.... Watch this space

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:07 pm

Got a couple of days off work soon. Am going to clearout the remains of the old layout & then start a new plan!! Code 75 I thought was a good start today whilst idling at work...

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:48 pm

Hello Louis...
Having seen this new post, I've just gone back to read up on the saga. Wow.

It's not easy to see a lot of work and history go.

But now, the present and the future!
Something modular perhaps, that can fit into a bigger scheme latter?
Or something portable for the exhibition circuit so some of the trains can have a life even if they don't have a home layout to go to?

Your account of your previous work means I'll be watching with interest, whatever emerges.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:28 pm

Hey Lozstlouis, offspring taking over loftspace and outbuildings, who brings home the funds for all this? Stake yourself some space out there, if you are doing a complete rehash on the house some on site storage space is going to be essential. We went through the process 7 years ago we needed 2 lockup selfstore units, a large garden shed, some space in the one room in the house that was having no alterations and still there were things lodged temporarily with various family members. Use the space in the outbuildings to store some of your stuff then hang on to it when you move back into the house.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:47 pm

I took the remains of the layout to the tip yesterday. Along with a shedload of other assorted rot that had been gathering up there. So am left with all my stock, some rescued track & that's about it. So I need to have a think about what to do now. Everyone's thoughts are appreciated and I indeed need to stake my claim. Here in sunny southwest London space is always a premium - but with the arrival of various purchases I continue to make it won't be long before I get a surge of inspiration - am sure!!

Also the new Bachmann book arrived along with the Bachmann Times - always a delight to read. Am also drawn to a new VFR800... but that's another story...!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:21 pm

lozstlouis wrote:Here in sunny southwest London space is always a premium - but with the arrival of various purchases I continue to make it won't be long before I get a surge of inspiration - am sure!!

There's always (well not "always" in London!) the back garden or yard...
Or the portable layout for the exhibition circuit: it can be bigger on show and just get worked on a board at a time at home?
(And with a portable layout the next house move isn't so traumatic!)

Wait for the moment: the inspiration will come!

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

js1975

Postby js1975 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Nice effort. Update?

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:01 pm

Found myself up in the loft doing the Xmas present hiding thing. Reminded me that I must start to make a plan for the next incarnation of the layout> Currently slightly more untidy than previous pictures:

Have been finding purchases from months ago that haven't even been opened yet! Slight lack of anything to put them on so understandable.

I did visit Warley though to keep my brain engaged in it all. Saw some layouts that were very impressive. Not sure I can translate any of the ideas to the SW19 loft bunker though yet...:

I have been saving some funds so have a baseboard & track allowance. Will see if January sales provide anything worthy of my savings - that might kick me into touch! For now its on with the inspiration hunt.

Merry Xmas all.

scoops

Postby scoops » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:33 am

Just been reading through the whole saga mate. You are a handy man by all accounts and can turn your skills to producing everything and anything. Gutted that you have lost the space in the attic but thank you for posting your exploits as you have given me many tips and ideas. I really hope that you get a space or a shed??? to start another layout soon mate!

Cheers

Tim

js1975

Postby js1975 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:37 am

Looking forward to whatever comes next.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”