London loft build

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Postby Spavo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:37 pm

Great carpentry there and you have a lovely size of baseboard to work with...

If I may offer just 2 pieces of advice even though I am not a loft dweller, you might want to gaffer tape between those silver sheets on the rafters, all types of critters and bugs might want to climb in....

Also, I have to say, sorry, that far wall in the pics is just horrible and really takes my eyes away from the baseboards, forgive me if you have already mentioned about taking care of this but I really feel you would make a huge improvement if you painted it or covered it with some board...

Hope you don't mind me commenting on it, really looking forward to seeing how you get on with the track laying, good luck....

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:45 pm

Spavo wrote:I have to say, sorry, that far wall in the pics is just horrible and really takes my eyes away from the baseboards, forgive me if you have already mentioned about taking care of this but I really feel you would make a huge improvement if you painted it or covered it with some board....

The wall at the end of my loft is plain block, I slapped some white emulsion on it and it improved things loads.

Lofty

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:02 pm

The strange ¨A¨ shape at the back is two chimney stacks. have been chewing some ideas on this. Agree it is bit of an eye sore. I work in a theatre business and was going to aquire some ¨blacks¨ - these are thing black curtains used on stage that don't reflect light so can't really be seen. They also deaden the sound. My plan is to light the whole thing and use ¨blacks¨ all around. Thought i better get some track 7 trains going first ;o)

Good thoughts though guys. Track plan - hmmm - will be a scan of my scribbles!

More at the weekend...
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

deltatango

Postby deltatango » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:42 pm

Looking good lozstlouis progressing well keep the good work up.
I am having a ebay day to-morrow seeing what I can sell to put
some money into the train kitty.

Have Fun

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:46 pm

I've been selling trains to! So I can raise some more money for more Bachmann Sound locos! :D

May I ask what your selling? :wink:
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:03 am

what a good start...
i am bed room layout my self

but i Love to have a loft layout ( my Loft is just to small. ) Can not stand up in it!

south line is a grate idea....
i Live next to the Waterloo to portsmouth line
so in my 28 years have seen some trains Come and go!

Keep up the good work
This Hobby is going to make me pennyless :wink: :roll:
My layout. Lots of work done update 29/2/2008 New img's!

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:12 am

Have lived in south - south west London all my 32 years. Usually near a railway. But that isn't hard around here. I recall the old all over blue slam door stock - the EPBs? No corridor type things that used to sway around like boats in a storm! Those were the days.

Big Al

Postby Big Al » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:19 am

Just a curious question but have you sorted your floor out. You may end up taking the express route out of your loft one day. I once was working in a loft (plumber) and a guy I was working with was clambering around taking no care what he was walking on. It was dark and dingy and he stepped on a metal fireguard which slipped, one leg on either side of a loft rafter, both feet through the ceiling. soprano, watering eyes, the whole lot. That was about twenty five years ago and I only stopped laughing a week ago.

Your doing a great job there keep it up. I painted the ceiling area in my loft white/cream and it helps to keep it bright. I need as much light as possible due to, arms not long enough, 45 year old eye sight.

Look forward to seeing more good work cheers Big al

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:14 pm

Big Al your tale made me laugh. My old dad (sadly no longer with us) did the old falling through the ceiling thing and i must have been about 10. It still makes me cackle now 22 years later... So in answer to your question - i have boarded the ¨popular¨ areas. Around the hatch and where i stand to work or operate etc. Rest is slats - not full boarding. Working in theatre grids i am used to the dark and looking where i am about to tread. its second nature. Less said for my three daughters though...

I tell you its bloody windy tonight! And thats here in SW19.

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:34 pm

So one of this in Maplin after a mate of mine had suggested it:

It was £20 and works really well. I have an MDF top to my layout and getting pins in was a bit of an effort so i started glueing with PVA - but got mixed results. Now i am using the "yellow thing" (as i have christened it) ti drill a shallow 1mm hole, then shove pin in and push home with a not-centre punch. Looks like a centre punch but with a dip instead of a point. Am sure much like the "yellow thing" it has a proper name!

Anyway have laid some more track now and even ran an 08 around some of it:

Put in my order for next phase of pointwork although a bisy work week ending in a trip abroad is going to delay progress sadly...

Hey any thoughts on the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance or Lenz 100??

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:40 pm

Nice progress and a handy tool as well.

Hope work doesn't interfere too much with the track laying!

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

Big Al

Postby Big Al » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:59 pm

Hi lozstlouis

What make is your 08 I want one but don't know which to buy, the Bachmann is about £35 at the moment. I run DC so no need for DCC ready.

I also have an mdf base board and got a little hammer ( I call it a toffee hammer ) one end is conventional hammer shape the other is more like a flat blade so I filled the end square ( I expect it was supposed to be square but cast badly ) and use that to put the pins in. I hold the pins with long nosed pliers and finish of with nail punch if needed.

Looks like a centre punch but with a dip instead of a point

Sounds like the same tool as you have. Cheers Alan
See my thread on personal layouts "It's a holiday park with no name"
New name for layout now found. Chufferlands Holiday Park.

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:21 pm

The green 08 is a Hornby. It came from the DCC set that is no longer listed on the Hornby site. Something like ¨Freight Shunter¨ or words to that effect... I got it on eBay.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:34 pm

Good prgress continues to be made I see! I got one of those drills from Maplins too. Mine still works great 18 months after purchase and continuous use!

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:22 am

Big Al wrote:What make is your 08 I want one but don't know which to buy, the Bachmann is about £35 at the moment. I run DC so no need for DCC ready.

Found this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hornby-Mixed-Good ... dZViewItem

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”