GWR Branch Terminus in 'N'

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi

Just to reiterate, the layout does look good, I didn't mean to cause any offence with the comments on the levers.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:33 pm

...neither did I! But I think they could do with some alteration! :wink:
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

Kasrkin

Postby Kasrkin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:08 am

Hey, I'd never take offence from constructive critisism! Quite the opposite in fact if it makes the layout better. I see what you all mean about the levers... What do you think could be done to improve them?

I've been toying around with texturing and painting, and have played aorund with some static grass too, here's the result at the end of the passing loop.

Stock runs smoothly over the crossing (thank goodness, lol). What do you think, does it look good? Again my camera gives me headaches and gives an odd tone to all the colours... The ballast is darker than it appears!

Odd Socks

Postby Odd Socks » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:03 am

Hi,

This layout is looking good :D .

I agree with the others about the point levers. If you are up for spending a bit you could look at these from GEM. They are not mega expensive at £14 for a 6 way lever set, also the roding is not badly priced if you use the PTFE rather than the copper tube.
Tim

==============================================================
My layout on Personal layouts, Growing slowly.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:37 am

That's good scenic work there, you should be very pleased with yourself, looking very good indeed....

Keep the updates coming.....

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:38 am

Hi

I think the levers just need to be a bit shorter so they don't impose on the scene.

How did you achieve the road effect?

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:39 am

How about boxing the levers in, so that there is another bank on the layout side but it would be open on the front to get your hand in to operate

I hope that makes sense

Lofty

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:19 pm

Great work with the scenic work! The grass and the road look great! Well done! :wink:

I agree with lofty about the lever frame, another bank would look quite good! :D

Keep up the good work!
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

Kasrkin

Postby Kasrkin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:23 pm

Update time! I've done loads on the layout since I last posted and am feeling quite pleased with myself. ;) I decided just to cut down the leavers in the end, mainly because the mechanism works and I didn't want to mess it up at this stage- but thanks for the ideas and recommendations! I've built up a little boarder for it to seperate it from the scenery, which you can see in the pictures below.

A Ratio goods shed and signal have been added, and once they were down I set about landscaping around them. Pete, the road is 'No More Cracks' filler pasted in the directions vehicles would move and smoothed down with sandpaper once dry. Around it I PVAed bird sand, and then painted the whole board black (with a small bit of the bird sand mixed in for texture), then went over it with 'scorched brown' (a Games Workshop colour used because I've got quite a store of their paints), including the stone, over which I followed up with 'adeptus battlegrey', 'codex grey' and 'fortress grey'.

The road was built up with various GW colours, drybrushed following the direction of traffic- the sequence was 'bestial brown', 'khemri brown', then 'denib stone'. Around it static grass was PVed down, then the whole thing was left to dry.

And here is the result, complete with all the appropriate GWR-themed stock I own! A lot has been won from eBay, but I've been looking out for the details (the private owner wagons for example are both owned by Welsh companies).

Not shown here, I also recently won a 4F Fowler from eBay. Now I know it isn't Great Western, but my Dad saw the layout for the first time a few days back and I haven't seen him so excited since I got a Lego trainset for Christmas one year (lol!). Remember I mentioned he's an LMS fan? The Fowler was his favourite engine when he was a kid, so I just had to get him one to play about with... and amazingly, it actually fits all around the passing loop! Lucky, eh? Trelech is only designed for engines half the size, but this fluke has really broadened my horizons as to what it can cope with. Expect to see a Dapol 45xx joining the fleet before long!

Anyway, the pics...

1433 waits for permission to depart...

...whilst 5768 shunts in the yard.

Trelech Station overview.

Goods yard overview.

I still need to add some more foliage, especially to hide the wire that dissapears into the board from the controller. It's a bit of an eyesore, but it couldn't be helped- one of the criteria I had for the layout was that the controller would rest on it, because I don't have anywhere else to store it! Some trees should do the job I think, so that's the next job on the list. I also need a few details like people, goods at the goods shed, and maybe cars/trucks too... Any suggestions for bits to add some life?

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:52 pm

That's a very tidy piece of work, impressive. If it were mine I think I would weather the track a bit especially rusting the side of the rails. I think that would blend the track into the ground texture and improve the feel greatly.

Keep at it. :)

Cheers
Dave

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:39 pm

Excellent work and pictures, which if you don't mind I've borrowed a couple of, for the Next NRM Virtual Exhibition.
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:42 am

This is a superb effort. It oozes atmosphere, looks like a viable track layout and has plenty to look. I'm quite sure it is fun to operate too :)

Congratulations: I look forward to seeing more as you develop it even further

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

MiniMichael

Postby MiniMichael » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:18 am

hmm.........how can i put this...

WOW :D That looks good!

Nice work! :)

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:48 am

This is looking fantastic. I'll be more than happy if my rock faces look like that, and likewise most of the scenics. The road is truly convincing.

D2850

Postby D2850 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:13 am

:shock:
wow

this looks great, keep it up.
Humour is subjective, so please supply your own witty statement.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”