GWR Branch Terminus in 'N'

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
matthew-peter

Postby matthew-peter » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:00 pm

As the loco is quite new you probably need to 'run it in' which of what i have gathered is when you run it constantly for about 20 minutes on a circle of track. I did this with my locootives and it did the trick so it should be worth a try unless someone knows better.
MATT B.
If you need anything from york model railway pm me and I will try and help just pm me and i may also be able to get you discount.

Kasrkin

Postby Kasrkin » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:37 am

Well after looking into the 14xx problem, it seems that there is no current flowing through the wheels or the pickups. My guess is that there is something wrong with the actual motor, and I have absolutely no idea how to fix it, so I've gotten in contact with the seller to look for a replacement. I'm absolutely gutted about it! :cry:

But on a lighter note I've managed to get ahold of three Gold'n Rods/Snakes, and have been experimenting with them all evening. One point is set up with them now, and the result is a slightly stiff but otherwise working switch over on the control panel, right next to the controller itself. Score! One down, four to go! I'll be sure to post up pics once they're done, so expect to see something that resembles a Lego Technic model soon... lol.

Kasrkin

Postby Kasrkin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:10 am

Update!

I've been working hard on point mechanisms these last few days (around work of course), and have made pretty good progress. Also all the track is now at least placed where it's going to be fixed down, and buffer stops have arrived in the mail too. Here's how things stand!

The white levers next to the contoller operate the points, and you can see in the second image that four are in place with just one to go. They work thanks to those Gold'n Rods G4YVM, so thanks to you for the advice! Here's how the board looks from underneath...

So far so good! On the subject of the faulty 14xx, you can see in the pics that I have since got ahold of a new one (the only difference being this one has the GWR badge instead of letters) which runs just fine on the layout with only the occasional stalling on points. Now that everythign is wired up I've managed to waste an hour or so playing around with it, lol!

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:40 pm

Its coming along well and the trackwork looks very good! :wink:

Keep up the good work and look forward to more progress!
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

ThorntonReed

Postby ThorntonReed » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:55 pm

Kasrkin

These Gold'nRods seem like exactly the thing I need for my layout. Would you be able to tell me where you got them from?

Postby 80064 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:40 pm

Looking good! Are you going to shape the tops of the levers likle the real signal-box ones?

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:22 pm

Coming on nicely. I like the look of that points mechanism - I might have to investigate for my own layout. Hopefully it could prove easier and cheaper than motors.

olliereading1123

Postby olliereading1123 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:37 pm

looking good, can't wait to see the finished product
Bespoke layout construction and design, http://thefiddleyard.webs.com/

Kasrkin

Postby Kasrkin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys!

ThorntonReed, I got the rods from my local model shop. They looked at me like I'd grown another head when I asked for Gold'n Rods, but knew exactly what they were when I tired 'snakes for model aeroplanes' instead. Cost about £2 each for a meter length, and three did me just fine (probably could have got away with two...).

Anyway, a bit more progress! All five points now work with the levers;

I don't think I'll do any more cutting on them because they work just fine as it is, but I will probably paint them black later on. The cover at the bottom still needs to be fixed down, which will be the next job I think.

Also, we now have completed buffer stops!

It's been too long since I painted anything, so it was nice to get back to it (even on something as simple as these). From this point on I've decided to paint building/landscape kits before I fix them down so that I can get into the detail better, but this brings me onto the ballast...

I'm not sure what to do here. The method I'm going for is with the granite chippings, and I have plenty of guides to help me through it. The problem is though, should I fix down the trackside accessories before I start? I'm a bit concerned about the ballast getting in the way of the station platform, for example...

D2850

Postby D2850 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Put down masking tape along the edges of where the ballast is going to be, so when you have ballasted the track you can pull up any stray ballast with the tape, giving a neat edge

(Railway modeller august 2007)

This is looking good
Humour is subjective, so please supply your own witty statement.

Kasrkin

Postby Kasrkin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:20 pm

Hey guys!

Well it's a big ol' update this time, you can see below that I've been quite busy! Sadly, pictures were kind of awkward this time- without flash brings out proper colours, wheras with flash makes it look too bright but with better focus... But it's better than nothing, right?

The layout now has a name; 'Trelech'! My own fictional Welsh town, with a name made from a mashing together the names of other Welsh towns, lol. The station and signal box are kestral kits that I painted up last week. A Ratio goods shed is on it's way, as is a Ratio signal, so they're next on the cards to paint up!

Filler has been applied over polystyrene to form the hills, and has been used to build up the road across the track at the end of the passing loop. I'm just waiting for it to dry before resuming work.

Ballasting, by the way, was like hell on toast... I never ever want to do it again! lol!

jweighell

Postby jweighell » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Wow, I like it a lot!

I'm almost tempted to build a similar layout myself one day, though I don't think my wife would approve at the moment, considering we've just taken up a load of space already with our layout!

Can't wait to see it with more scenics down...

Jonathan

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi

In the spirit of constructive criticizm. The layout looks great, really subtle. The points mechanism underneath is really interesting and neat, but those points levers look awful, they really detract from a smashing looking scene; even painted black, I'm not sure they will improve.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:26 pm

I am kinda with Pete on the point levers but the rest of the layout is looking excellent, it looks as tho you are enjoying putting this together and it is really starting to take shape, good work.....

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:30 pm

The layout is coming along great! But I'm afraid I'm with the other guys on the point levers. They don't look right, and are too big! :wink:

I'd install some smaller ones if you can personally!
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”