My First Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
sp4rky

My First Layout

Postby sp4rky » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi people. I'm new to this so please bare with me :)

I'm in the process of moving in with my girlfriend on the condition that I get to do us a loft conversion.

After doing a few sums, I think I can scrape together 10' square of space so I've been thinking about a layout that I can make there.

The aim of this layout is for it to be completely automated (i.e computer controlled). The computer hardware/software side will be no problem for me, but making the layout look good and be interesting to watch will be.

The vague plan is to have a timetable for passenger trains (currently I have a 7 car Class 40), and a few sidings for me to play with by myself.

I have made all areas accessible for trains, but I appreciate that the Class 40 or other big trains won't be able to get round the 1st Radius corner.

So, without further ado, I give to you... My layout:

Any comments and constructive criticisms welcome.

Also, suggestions on how to make it a bit more interesting will be gratefully received.

(EDIT:) The empty space in the middle will be somewhere for me to stand and watch :) (/EDIT)

sishades

Postby sishades » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:07 pm

If everything is automated will this not reduce the enjoyment of driving the trains.?If your layout was 100 metres in length and involved over 50 locos then I would agree but being in control is "where its at" for me.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

sp4rky

Postby sp4rky » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:33 pm

Hmm, well this loft idea seems to be going out the window. There's no room to place stairs!

I see what you're saying, sishades, but that's exactly the bit I enjoy. Watching the trains run around knowing that I set it all up.

Mind you, the sidings I planned would probably not be computer controlled so I could still play in there if I wanted.

Plan part 2 will be based on an 8' x 4' board hinged to a wall in the spare room, I think.

boyofbears

Postby boyofbears » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:52 pm

if you were to do size for me i would go for an end to end layout

it would have more operational interest then a tight loop and i personaly would find modelling a steam or diesel depot or whatever you could choose much more interesting. also if you could use it as train storage 8)
my imaginery friend thinks u have problems.......wait........
my layout viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17368 new!!!

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:20 pm

sishades wrote:If everything is automated will this not reduce the enjoyment of driving the trains.?If your layout was 100 metres in length and involved over 50 locos then I would agree but being in control is "where its at" for me.

You can have it both ways Like my Pawford layout were you can select the amount of automation you want, fully automatic, semi automatic or full manual control and there's no need for a computer.

It's good to be in control but it's also great to just sit back with a drink and watch the trains go by.

For the full details click on the link to Pawford below this posting. Or just watch it in action here

Good luck with your plans and I look forward to seeing your layout develop
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

sp4rky

Postby sp4rky » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:46 pm

Wow, Sanctuary, how did you automate all your trains?

I've made a new plan now that fits in 8' by 5' which will now be available to me:

I'm feeling a station at the bottom, a hillside at the top and hopefully a raised section on the inside line for a steam loco to flow around the hills.

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:36 pm

sp4rky wrote:Wow, Sanctuary, how did you automate all your trains?

I kept it very simple, each loco has a small magnet fitted under the chassis which operate reed switches hidden in the tracks. click here for full details of all the simple electronics.
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

Postby 80064 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:55 pm

Just a thought, measure your available area on the landing and you may be able to install a space saver staircase. They are similar in design to those on yachts utelising half-treads, and can be squeezed into incredibly small 'footprints' on an existing landing - there are a number of types about including DIY kits. Scroll down this link for photo examples to show what I mean. A lot of the time these can take up less room than a ladder system which needs space in the loft as well as on the landing.

http://www.stairplan.com/spacesaver.htm

bricktop

Wonderfull

Postby bricktop » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:21 pm

A great layout. I've seen a lot on this forum but you're one of the first that thougt it true. A train normally goes from station to station. The most plans have only one station. What's the point taken a train if it goes back were it came from? A good layout has at least two stations or a station and a engine or fiddle yard.

Compliments for your layout, thumbs up :D

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:29 pm

Just a thought, you were saying about some of your trains not easily going round first radius, well there is no need for them to, if you make your layout with 2nd 3rd and 4th radius! I am not sure of what type of track you are using at the moment or what scale etc. But if it is 00 then Hornby have just brought out their new 4th radius track sections now!

guitardave_1

Re: Wonderfull

Postby guitardave_1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:01 pm

bricktop wrote:A train normally goes from station to station. The most plans have only one station. What's the point taken a train if it goes back were it came from? A good layout has at least two stations or a station and a engine or fiddle yard.

I don't think that's necessarily true. To model accurately a line running between two different stations would need an enormous run of track and space to do so.

Layouts with one station on the other hand, can be seen as replicating a stop for trains which run through that station. Admittedly the same train will run through it again 20 seconds later, but for most people that's the best that the space will allow.

mpeffers

Re: Wonderfull

Postby mpeffers » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:07 pm

bricktop wrote:A train normally goes from station to station. The most plans have only one station. What's the point taken a train if it goes back were it came from? A good layout has at least two stations or a station and a engine or fiddle yard.

Each to his own really. Personally I much prefer fiddleyard to station (and in some cases, fiddleyard to station to another fiddleyard) layouts because the trains can be operated much more prototypically.
To avoid unrealistically sharp and hard to justify bends in a model of a full circuit, you need a hell of a lot of space and this is where I fall down, but if you want to run full length trains at some speed or simply just prefer to set the trains off and watch them go without any shunting and fiddling with couplings appeals more to other people.
Bottom line is, your layour, your rules :D
Matt

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:25 pm

holmedwa04 wrote:...Hornby have just brought out their new 4th radius track sections now!

Grrr - wanted to have a circuitious layout, but always felt the curves were totally unrealistic - plus, the train departing Platform One will arrive at ...... Platform One in approximately 40 seconds! :o
Read somewhere that a realistic station would be 12 feet long in 00 guage!
Agree that "Bottom line is, your layour, your rules "

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”