Barnfield 2

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:16 pm

I would find it to tempting to drink the beers!! in fact i had a couple of beers whilst working on my track the other night. Amazing how much more i had to concentrate on what i was doing. Think i'll give that one in whilst in the loft!

Layout looking good B@rney. Have you any heating in the garage? Bet that door blows a draft!!
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:30 pm

Quick answer to last post, I have a blow heater I turn on when at the moment when im in the garage, but it doesnt stay on too long while im climbing over the boards and on the floor.

Have taken delivery of 4 of the new Peco PL11 side and surface mounted point motors, have just done a little test setup to see how they work andI have to say they are in my opinion very good.

Very easy to install, to my mind a vast improvement on having 300 small huts on your layout (if surface mounted), So much easier and tidier than cutting a massive great hole in your baseboard and they appear to work very well (so far)

A little video: (how boring am I?????)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TfindkUuLcQ

And a photo (all blurry as from phone and not good light)

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:42 pm

They look great and would be very handy in a fiddle yard for example! :wink:

Right Ok, whats involved with the wiring, switches then. How do you set it up?

I have yet to install any motors so its all new to me at present! :shock:
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:55 pm

odd question, but keep with me.

could you mount one of these upside down?

still adjacent to the point but in a trough cut into the board?

asking since that way you could ballast over the thing and never see it (or hardly see it) with a fake point machine adjacent to the tiebar to hide the connection?

also does the motor latch? i.e. if you took the spring out of the point would it still work?

wondering on the last point for driving home made points, the first point for hiding the things.

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:24 pm

nice idea - upside down...
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:29 pm

just wondered, i know the idea is to avoid having to do anything to the baseboard but these would be ideal for situations where a sub surface motor isn't practical - e.g. there is a whacking great cross member below the board, or a running line.

I take it there is no aux switch since i can only see three wires (a pity that)

I just think these things look daft ont he surface.

fronkly is Z gauge can have the motor integral to the point (in a base directl under it) i see no reason why it can't be done in 4mm

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:39 pm

I did toy with the idea of fitting point motors but when I first looked I could only see the under board type that I didn't fancy.
By the time I saw these I had ballasted around the points so unless I chip it off I am stuck with manual ones,saves me some wiring anyway :D

rb277170

Postby rb277170 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:00 pm

Thanks for keeping us informed on progress. Thinking about a comprehensive revamp to my own layout , so watching keenly some of the techniques used here.

Slightly worried over the incline as some of my latest Hornby locos seem to have a fit with spinning wheels when approaching even the smallest gradient, so I'm interested in how you get on as I would like to introduce a high level terminal on my own layout.

Russell

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:19 pm

OK Questions:

For those who missed it in the track thread, Yes this will operate the new Hornby points (with the slide bar)

Upside down: yeah will work, id suggest that you put it at a bit of an angle so you only have the end showing which could be hidden even more with ballast, bit of weed. Most of the body would dissapear into the baseboard.

Points without springs: No it wont hold it. there is now force applied in either direction once the solonoid has fired, it just swings around.

As for setup, well as a DCC man, im using Lenz LS150 accessory decoders and my NCE powercab so its just a case of wiring it all up. But they operate/wire up etc exactly the same as a "normal" solonoid point motor. 16V AC and a siwtch of some descrption.

B@rney

ARSE!!!

Postby B@rney » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:41 pm

Well words to that effect. Been running some tests on my gradients.

Diseil Locos no problem, will haul up 6 coaches without too much complaining,

BUT

Not a single one of my 3 steam locos will haul 5 coaches up the gradiant!!

so poo bum and bottom. Back to drawing board and to rebuild my first gradiant to increase its length. I have a spare metre so should be ok, but still a pain in the bottom. I think i got a bit over zelous with the stanley knife when cutting my frame. This time I think ill just cut the baseboard and lift that up to create the gradient.

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:27 pm

An update!

Have now temporarily laid some track on my second incline this one is longer and shallower, and the very good news is that all my locos will now haul 6 coaches up it, and will be further improved by the adding of a drop of weight to the locos.

Least I know now what i have to do to make my first on work. Fingers crossed i may even get a loop completed at the weekend... Yippeee

B@rney

Bigger Update with pics

Postby B@rney » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:43 pm

Well more track laid,

Mainlines now getting there, both inclines now accesisble by most locos hauling 6 coaches. (remaining locos will be "fixed" so they can too)

All six hidden sidings now all electrified with working points and actual exlectric too.

The railfreight ferry wagons are sitting in siding number 5, one more between them and the drop of death, the NSE 50 is in siding 1 and the coaches are all coupled running from the mainlines to the same siding. This is the access in from one side of the layout and you can just see the point work on the pics for the other side access.

The track switches take place on the inclines as the sidings are only accessible from the outer track of the mainline.

Next step is to put a temporary board over the sidiings and run a length of track so some full testing can be acheived especially of the hidden stuff. Cos if that dont work once the boarding for the station is down then I got problems.

Ok enough waffle Pics!!

Cans etc. weighting down the board while the No nails sets., this higher level will contain the station throat and a kick back siding out of the station

Looking the other way

Pointwork for the siding access (hidden remeber)

Sidings, the Turntable is about in the position where it will eventually sit, this will become loco yard, steam sheds off the turntable and at the other end to the right will be deisel sorta depot/ stableing

Couple of general veiws of the mainline inclines in each direction

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:51 pm

Text only update for tonight, once ive cleared all the clutter ill take some pics and a little vid.

All six storage lines now working, wired, pointed, checked and temporalily covered over with the station boards.

Inside track now fulled connected, but only for testing and Now have a fully working loop.!!!

Only one track as Ive run out of flexitrack until I can get to the model shop (probably next week)

For its first test run this evening all appears to be working well, more power feeds to attach to the bus and once I happy that the storage loops all work correctly and consistantly without de-railing stock. (and Martin has manufactured some occupancy detectors (so I know when to stop)) Ill secure the station boards (Im thinking screws at the moment to aid removal if sidings get in a mess)

Then lay all the station track and upper level trackwork properly.

Pics and vids tomorrow night...

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:59 am

I have made Jon some occupancy detectors and tested V1.1 and it is working fine now.
When I am 100% happy with them I will do a video and show how they work.

B@rney

Video time

Postby B@rney » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:18 pm

As promised 2 video clips of my now completed loop.

Hopefully this now makes the hidden storage bit make sense.

The large area with lots of grey and one track on the front will have a 2 platform through station with 2 fast tracks down the middle, and a three road terminus (1 shared platform and 1 of its own)

Hornby NSE Class 50 with 5 Lima Mk?'s and 1 Bachman Mk? running clockwise out of storage line 1, around and around and back in.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1zO0Yov8ck

Bachmann Class 20 with 6 Hornby Railfreight Ferry vans, running anticlockwise out of storage line 2, around and around and back in.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RX2aOp7a630

Comments much appreciated.

Thanks

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”