Barnfield 2

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
S_Jay

Postby S_Jay » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:08 pm

I have emailed b@rney the layout does anyone want me to put a link to it on here? (It's a PDF document)

ta
My Layout, My world, My rules, if that's ok?
My layout with no progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14866
My other layout with progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18394

B@rney

Got some track down!!

Postby B@rney » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:30 pm

Ok feel like im getting somewhere now.

Have built the first gradiant and have now laid some track too.

Small picture update:

For those who are even remoty interested the gradiant is 1 in 31.4 give or take :)

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:44 pm

Hey like the plan. Are u pinning the track or ¨No Nail¨ing it? Does anyone glue track? Or double sided tape? Your baseboard ;ooks like MDF in places. Bit hard for pins? Am a bit out of practice myself so sorry if these are daft questions! Inclines chipboard? Good size though. Like it.
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:07 pm

Main baseboard is MDF, Inclines are Hardboard with a frame of mount card, 3 or 4 layers glued together.

I have put the foam underlay from wooden flooring under the track to give a shoulder for the ballast and Im using track nails probably the best way to describe them. Like pins, but stronger

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:29 pm

B@rney wrote:... I have put the foam underlay from wooden flooring under the track to give a shoulder for the ballast ...

That's a first (as far as I know) - you'll have to let us know how that performs longer-term.

Coming along nicely though. Look forward to more.

sishades

Postby sishades » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:47 pm

I use small nails for my track and my boards are 9mm mdf. i use a 1mm drill to create a pilot hole. The pin can then be pushed in and it is still strong enough to hold everything in place.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 pm

Some good news, I couldnt resist.

Have just "gerry built" my controller onto the bit of track ive layed and run couple of locos up the incline as it stands pulling 6 lima coaches.

GOOD news the 20 had no problem what so ever.
the 08 would only manage 3, but hey its a shunter, shouldnt be out on the mainline anyway.

Took delivery of my talisman sets and a NSE Class 50 "lion" today. I feel a small cicuit being set up to "run them in" on DC, before chipping can procede. Im like a kid in a candy shop

Or is it a railway modeller in a model shop?

B@rney

Getting bigger

Postby B@rney » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:05 pm

After a whole week with no railway work done, im back on the case.

Few pics.

Last three nights has seen the construction of the second incline this time 1 in 40, only partially built so far, just the frame in place. (good ol no-nails)

And tonight has seen the installation of 5 sets of points with motors and the start of the six storage lines which will be under the station complex, need to install points at the opposite end and to create the loops.

a few pics with 6 NSE coaches and Class 50 for scale.

So far anyway the foam liner is proving very easy to use and makes a siginificant reductions to the running noise. (of course ill probably get it all back when i ballast it)

waldron

Postby waldron » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:27 pm

looking good there B@rney, keep it up!

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:24 pm

great stuff mate, like your beer collection, you know you can drink it? :wink:

chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:36 pm

look good!

i Love the Class 50 NSE train you got there!
it looks relay good and all of them Mk1's or mk2's (Cannot tell from ing) look so good with it.

good work!
This Hobby is going to make me pennyless :wink: :roll:
My layout. Lots of work done update 29/2/2008 New img's!

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:43 am

Maybe u could build a mega structure from the Fosters cans?? The 500ml K1664 are a bit too tall i found... 8)
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:26 am

I feel i need to defend myself about the fosters cans.

I use them as weights to hold stuff down while the glue sets, the Fosters are my wife's, but being 6 months pregnant she not drinking them at the moment. I drink Boddingtons :)

Thanks for all the nice comments, its taking shape slowly..

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:42 am

Looking great there B@rney! The layouts progressing well! :wink:

LOL about the beer cans! :D

Could we possibly have a video of some trains in action? Particularly the class 50?

Super work! Looking forward to seeing some more progress!
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:09 pm

Still wiring to do, and right now they will only go forward and back as there is a whole loop left to build mainly through the elevated station section.

I hope to put the bus wires in this week to which i will attach the droppers which are already in place soldered to a number of the fishplates around the track at appropriate places. Once thats done the whole lot will be live so engine control can once again be achieved without the aid of seloptape to hold bare wires to the top of the rails.

Then ill do a little video to show how it looks and also what is planned to happen..

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”