Barnfield 2

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
B@rney

Barnfield 2

Postby B@rney » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:20 pm

Just before Christmas I decided to change all my set-track over to flexi, (mainly so It doesnt rust). My plan was just to swap like for like plan, re-wire, re ballast and then continue as current.

However I have now had a lofty moment and have decided to take this opportunity to start over.

My new plan is:

An inverted figure of 8, with a terminus and through station on an elevated section which will then run down and back round infront of the station again before climbing back up. (hope that makes a bit of sense)

Under the station I will have storage loops (hidden of course)

And somehow in the rest of the space I will have some form of engine depot and or sidings.

The mainlines will be double track all round to enable up and down lines. (only slight down side is that one direction wont be able to get into the terminus without backing up, but I think I can live with that.)

Here is the plan so far, currently only showing the mainlines. (excuse the crude drawn lines. (I not very good drawing with a mouse)

Any comments ideas etc. very much appreciated

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Are you using flexi track or set track?

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:44 pm

I would guess by looking at the track plan it will be flexi track judging by some of the shallow curves! :wink:
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:34 pm

Yes its Felxi, but settrack points as I already have lots of them.

Ive attempted to keep the curves as big as possible. The inside track will in most cases be the same as 3rd radius set-track, and then everything outside that getting bigger and bigger, this was I shouldnt find a bit of stock that will have problems.

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:38 pm

No I doubt you will, will look far more realistic than setrack.

Radius 3 curves don't look too bad either!

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:31 pm

Updated Plans

The Main layout (the visable bit

The Hidden Storage under the station.
The nasty looking mess of points on the right will become much nicer in real life im sure.

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:36 pm

Is it up and over figure 8 or are those crossovers on the left hand side?

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:54 pm

Mmm...by the looks of it, I would say that its an up and over figure of eight! :shock:

Well done, keep up the good work!

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:04 am

Up and over it is.

The station being on the up and along the left side then dropping down along the bottom edge to loop round the inside, back under the station exit on the left and up along the bottom edge again up to the station either terminus or run through.

Exit to the sidings via the outside track on the bottom loop. Couple more points needed to allow trains to run onto and off the other loop.

Thanks

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:51 am

Hi Barney :^)

what are you using for set track points? Do you have a peco set track param file or are you using hornby points?
Regards
Rob

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:02 pm

To plan I have used the hornby set track points and the Peco streamline points. in real life all my points are Peco

The hornby points and peco are the same spec in settrack.

you just have to plan it all in HO rather than OO which dont make any difference to anyone really. :)

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:48 am

Baseboards now all clean, and in the right sizes and shape to start laying some track, and building the elevations.

Tricky to tell in the pictures.

Front edge is 2 feet deep into the hole
Left and right is 3 feet into the hole
and back edge is 4 feet.

The 2 level storage and station will be along the wide back section
The front will have the 2 changes in elevation along it, with the 2 sides having the 2 levels each with the higher one running along the outside on each side.

S_Jay

Postby S_Jay » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:34 am

Barney,

Have you ever seen the green track plans booklet from CJ Freezer? One of the plans in there (for a garden shed) is exactly like the plan you are hoping to build. The space is slightly different being 11.5 ft by 7 but it can be modified.

If you want I'll scan it for you and email it over (Or not If Peco publications are reading this :) )

I know about it as I plan to build a similar layout in my garage next year.
My Layout, My world, My rules, if that's ok?
My layout with no progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14866
My other layout with progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18394

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:16 pm

Yes please.

Always interested in other options.

Ill pm you my email.

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:04 pm

An update.. well sorta

I have now printed off my plan at full size and taped it together on my boards..

And WOW my station is HUGE!! I think i could just about fit 9 cars in against the longest platform, but as the station is the main thing on the layout im happy with that I think..

note to self..

talk to someone about station lights and look out for oo guage people to populate a 3 8 foot platforms

Have made the formers for one of the gradients, it has worked out to be 1 in 31.4 so fingers crossed should be fine.

After attempting to cut hardboard in vairous ways I have now made the gradient formers by sticking 3 sheets of 2mm cardboard together and then cutting out the gradient required twice. This will form the base upon which the trackbed (hardboard) will be glued (or no nailed. depending on what works best)

To recap. all the bits are made, just to glue them together and add the hardboard. (then ill take a picture) Then i get to put some track down.

YIPEEEEE

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”