Horndaley Thing

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SirMeliot

Horndaley Thing

Postby SirMeliot » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:00 pm

Since my planned epic garage layout is being hampered by, err stuff.

I decided I quite liked the little Horndale layout Hornby mag did. I'm not a big fan of end to ends and this teeny tail chaser is something I should be able to finish in a sensible amount of time.

First, the baseboard. I just used what I had lying around so it's 6mm MDF sitting on something like 20x40 mm battens. It doesn't flex too much...

Since there's only three points they're electrically controlled. Because the board is so thin I didn't need to make the usual massive hole to clip the motor to the point. Track and motors are all Hornby BTW.

To make sure the points switch reliably there's a capacitor discharge unit (CDU). Here it is wired up.
I don't do neat wiring.

Here's the control panel such as it is. The controller is the US version of the Bachmann trainset one. Their E-Z track has electric points so there's an AC accessory output for the CDU. Points are controlled by push-to-make switches mounted directly in the baseboard.

Here it is on the dining table. The plan is to have something to bring in from the garage and have a play at scenics and the like.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm

that looks neat :) I like it even more since its GWR :wink: too bad your "epic garage layout" is hampered :(, it looks like you've got a nice amount of space there :)
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:21 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Fri May 27, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:44 pm

It's 4' x slightly less than 4'
They're two 2'x4' boards but I used a bit of one of them for something I can't recall.

Postby 80064 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:40 pm

Nice layout and good luck! Definately the best mag out there and that layout was good in my opinion - iwsh it was about when I was a lad as I messed about for ages before finally making something all those years ago, whereas this layout is all there for starter. Keep posting! :D

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:09 pm

Something of a non-update since all I've done so far is slap some Railmatch sleeper grime on the track.
But horrors, the board's gone all mouldy! Although the garage doesn't leak the walls are made out of reconstituted stone and it's quite porous and soaks up water like a sponge. It's quite humid in there.
I'll be needing to treat the walls to some sealant then.

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:42 pm

SirMeliot wrote:
Something of a non-update since all I've done so far is slap some Railmatch sleeper grime on the track.
But horrors, the board's gone all mouldy! Although the garage doesn't leak the walls are made out of reconstituted stone and it's quite porous and soaks up water like a sponge. It's quite humid in there.
I'll be needing to treat the walls to some sealant then.

Are the outside of the garage walls rendered with sand & cement plaster ?
if so, and they are unpainted, coat the walls with Thompson's Water Seal. That will stop rain from penetrating the cement plaster and the concrete block work.
Do you plan to keep the car in the garage ?, if not, remove the garage door and block up the opening.
Most modern garages are of single skin construction, and are prone to cold and damp conditions.
Drill and fix 3"x2" battens on the walls @ 400mm centres, infill with 50mm insulation board, and cover with 6mm plywood sheets, or similar material.
Also, it might be a good idea to insulate between the roof trusses with insulation board. This will stop the heat escaping and help keep the cold out.

It will cost a few pounds for the above, but well worth it in the long run.

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:50 pm

There's no external rendering, just the 'stone' blocks. Actually looking at this picture there are some damp blocks around the bottom. That's what it looks like on the inside after driving rain. A good dose of something like Thompsons is on the cards.
Thanks for the tips on insulation. I want to make sure the walls stay dry before I line them with anything.

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:09 am

Well I stuck some 'Light Rust' on the rails and it's, quite orange.
I'm thinking a thin wash of sleeper grime will tone it don a bit. At least it looks less like a train set now.

Big Al

Postby Big Al » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:25 pm

Lucky you. Free scenics. Some might call it mould but we know better. I like the layout nice and neat you should see some quick results there. Good luck with the garage clear out. Cheers Alan
See my thread on personal layouts "It's a holiday park with no name"
New name for layout now found. Chufferlands Holiday Park.

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:07 am

Well, a wash of thinned grey paint did tone down the orange abit.

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:52 pm

Managed to clear enough space in the garage to lay things flat and start with the ballasting.

davek

Postby davek » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:31 pm

Good progress sir!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”