A Honeywell and Metheringham Joint Production...

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
m.levin

Postby m.levin » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:12 pm

And the rumors of them being ginger are false, they are strawberry blonde :shock:

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:56 pm

Good to see you have been able to get your hands dirty again Rich. If you need any help with joints, I'm sure my friend Adrian will be able to offer you more than enough information ;)

Have you managed to cough up a track plan yet? Would be good to see what's ahead of you.

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:00 pm

somebody's been busy :) its good to see something train related get done (*embarassed since my own layout isnt moving along...*) lets see what you two cook up here :P
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

peak

Postby peak » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:31 pm

Watching with interest?!
Wish I had hair!!!
(having said that I had a lot more than both of you put together when I was younger!).
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:37 pm

peak wrote:Wish I had hair!!!
(having said that I had a lot more than both of you put together when I was younger!).

Not so very long ago mine was down to my a**e.

As for the track plan, we have very definite ideas of what we want, I just have to translate it to XTrkCAD so I can show you lot adequately.

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:05 pm

Is this going to be a powered layout or a static scenic model?

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:09 am

As yet undecided, but it makes sense to practice the wiring aswell.. so it'll be wired at least as far as having wires dropped from the tracks.

It'd be a shame not to run a loco on it though... :|

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:45 pm

I've done out a pretty basic track plan that gets accross what we're hoping to do as far as the track goes on this as yet unnamed project.

Pretty simple, but it doesn't need to be anything over the top. We're doing this as practice, not a working layout as such.

Rich.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:48 pm

i take it thats a signal box in the middle, do you plan on building your own or using an rtr/kit?
will be a good test of skills this
SNRMR!

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:48 pm

It deosn't Have to be a working layout to be a good one. What you two have done, by getting together and building a layout, is amazing. Welldone

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:54 pm

m.levin wrote:It deosn't Have to be a working layout to be a good one. What you two have done, by getting together and building a layout, is amazing. Welldone

Agreed on the working layout thing, though you might be a touch premature on it being amazing for the moment.

Hopefully it will be, but the idea is to have fun, learn and of course make mistakes on this one rather than Honeywell Junction.

Mumbles, initially the signal box will be a heavily modifed Hornby thing I was kindly donated a little while ago. At some stage I do want to be having a go at building things from scratch as that is what I intend with Honeywell station building. There's nothing on the market that really fits my vision of what it's going to be, so I'm forced into it up to a point.

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:12 am

...that really fits my vision

Where there is no vision, the people perish. (Proverbs 29:18 )

Pete
Last edited by Pete on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Danny

Postby Danny » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:42 pm

Not at all progress but thought i'd share this with you.

When me and Rich first started to talk about the joint project a few weeks back it was unclear to what railway scene we wanted to model. We knew the size and proportions of the boards but not what was potentially to go on them.

I decided to get a penil, pen and some crayons out and started to put some ideas I had down onto paper - in plan form. The plans are in no way final they were a good way of expressing my ideas. Once I had finished them I scanned them in and sent them to Rich to see what he thought of them, I have put our basic opinions beneath each plan below.

Of course Rich has now put a Final-ish trackplan together which shows what we would like to do. but I thought it might be interesting to show some of the ideas we have not chosen to do.

Idea 1

Plan Number 1

This idea fetures a two track mainline and a short branch to some exchange sidings.

The plan is set in the transition between the railways and the canals where goods would often be moved from railways to canals and visa versa. The layout would be operational however the double track mainline would not be as it is short and doesn't go anywhere.

We have decided not to use this plan as it was a little to complex and the amount of points would make it expensive.

Idea 2

Plan Number 2

This idea has a more urban setting it features a large factory complex.

This plan is a single track industrial line passing a factory on an urban fringe. It has a polluted river and allotments too.

We decided against this plan as neither of us were really fans of urban layouts. Also the single straight track didn't really have much character.

Idea 3

Plan Number 3

This plan is the opposite of number 2, being a rural station on a rural branch.

The two main parts of this idea was the viaduct over the stream and the small station. The scene would be in a upland area with a hilly terrain.

This plan was the most appealing with it's simplicity. However we chose against it in favour of the fourth idea which caught our attention more..

Original Article at flaxengaterailway.co.uk

Danny.

Raider

Postby Raider » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:59 pm

Some interesting ideas there - you have obviously given the planning stage a lot of thought.

Just the one question - will there be any milk on the layout?

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:15 pm

I thought idea 1 looked very good, although I am not sure how ‘tight’ the curves would look on a layout your size.

Lofty

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”