Southern Garage Layout (old pics up to page 27 added)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:18 pm

A new thread! I'm surprised by the lack of sidings too. I'm sure they do have such things on the prototype and they do make things a bit more interesting... IMHO :)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:08 pm

zabdiel wrote:A new thread! I'm surprised by the lack of sidings too. I'm sure they do have such things on the prototype and they do make things a bit more interesting... IMHO :)

it is worth remembering though that the prototype i am looking to model is southern electric, and also modelling local to myself, south east kent
the nearest shed is ashford which is huge, unrealistic to consider modelling it, it would take the whole garage

ashford shed
ashford works

if you know of any smaller ones i could model then that would be great, i would certainly look into any suggestions
michael

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Why don't you have a look at Gillingham which is a smaller depot? Another one would be Ramsgate although like Ashford this may be too big.

Paul

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:25 am

May not be the right type of location but there was a shed at Folkestone Junction :-
Sub shed to Dover. A brick built 3 track straight dead ended shed. Used as a diesel stabling point for some years but later demolished (1979) .
Source :-
Locosheds.co.uk
Ron

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:21 pm

The top shed at Ashford works looks like it's about 300ft long (using the google maps scale). I make that 1200mm in OO. Allowing another couple of feet of so for the tracks to join the main line then it'd take up around 7 feet. You might be able to fit that in somewhere. Perhaps you could model another longer shed behind in low relief to give the impression of a larger depot.

P.S. Whilst looking at my local depot I noticed this disappearing EMU. Weird :)

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:02 pm

Hi,

Just trying to catch up here... I didn't realise you'd left the other thread behind and gone out into the garage.

What about your control panel in the loft? Did that get completed or is it getting modified for the garage? That, after all was the subject of probobally one of the greatest U tube videos ever! :lol:

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:02 pm

hi
there has been not much progress but let me say what has been happening.
i have decided i do want to try to model a emu shed and am focusing on ramsgate as a prototype. all be it scaled down and limited to just one shed.
i have also got a strong urge for the station at ramsgate too although the work involved for both these structures is immense.
today i have spent ages trying to sort out the outside area by the side door to the garage, the back gate [which is rotten] and taking some more junk to the dump.
i have had a quote for the electrics and that will be going ahead next week some time although there is no where for sockets and lights to be fitted. i suspect i will get a wire out to the garage and the sparky will have to return to fit the components at a later date.
i have also been looking at securing the garage door, which is old and has no working locks, currently secured by piles of stuff behind blocking it being able to be opened, which is far from ideal.
cheers
michael

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:57 pm

mumbles wrote:i have decided i do want to try to model a emu shed and am focusing on ramsgate as a prototype. all be it scaled down and limited to just one shed.

When ever I try to find out what that word "Prototype" means, I always get "for someone who is obsessed with rivets and ensure that the correct amount are counted"? :wink:

Get to here you are defeating those nasty spiders.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:46 pm

m.levin wrote:
mumbles wrote:i have decided i do want to try to model a emu shed and am focusing on ramsgate as a prototype. all be it scaled down and limited to just one shed.

When ever I try to find out what that word "Prototype" means, I always get "for someone who is obsessed with rivets and ensure that the correct amount are counted"? :wink:

if i didn't love you martin, i'd come round and kick your arse!

:lol:

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:34 am

mumbles wrote: ... i have also got a strong urge for the station at ramsgate too although the work involved for both these structures is immense ...
michael

I think you should do it. There will be frustrations along the way I'm sure, but the immense sense of satisfaction and achievement you'll get at the end of it will be well worth the effort. Also, choosing a subject you are keen on helps keep you motivated through learning new skills and techniques which otherwise you may not bother to acquire. So I think it's a project you really should do for all the right reasons. You'll thank me for it one day !

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:01 am

mumbles wrote:
m.levin wrote:

if i didn't love you martin, i'd come round and kick your arse!

:lol:

What will it take to get you up here :wink:
What sort of lighting are you having in the garage? I have 1 5' flo tube and it is naff for photos. I did read somewhere that you can get some "daylight lamps" that give a daylight glow. I think they use then in places that are open after bedtimes, so the workers can adjust to night work better, giving the feel of it being mid day. If only Britvic had some :wink:
I did add a lamp with a orange glow lamp in, to give a sunset feel. Like this.

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:02 am

Mart

I did read somewhere that you can get some "daylight lamps" that give a daylight glow

You can get them in many artshops, either as bulbs or flo-tubes.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:04 pm

Daylight Bulbs give out the same sort of light as the sun, whereas other lights tend to be more yellow or green. That's why often you'll find that something you painted in the evening looks quite a different colour in the daylight the next morning (and I'm not talking about the effects of alcohol :shock: ) Many artists use them because they can paint of an evening confident that they'll be colour consistent in their work. Some are wired to a light sensitive switch so that as it gets darker outside the light gets brighter to maintain a constistant level of light.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:45 pm

hi
so its been a while since i updated this thread and a few things have progressed. i am being inspired by lofty's shed in a garage.. and the huge undertaking that is, before even getting to build a baseboard. so i have cracked on with building a covered area for storing some of the things that are currently taking up room in the garage
so far the basic frame is done and the roof has been put of to see how it goes, there will be further braces, that i will add as i attach the corrugated plastic, to line up properly with where the screw fittings for roof will go
g11.jpg

the garage also is pretty much cleared of junk, this work bench to go once it has served its use as a place to put tools! you can see my electrics are in too. currently on fitted to a temp board so once the boarding is done they can be properly fitted

g8.jpg

at the other end this pile of junk has now been dumped, but you can see a few bits and pieces that still need removing etc

g9.jpg

slowly getting there
cheers
michael
Last edited by mumbles on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 pm

Slowly but surely mumbles ... I expect the spring weather and longer evenings will put a spring in your step and you'll start to see some satisfying progress. I think this will be one layout well worth waiting for :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”