Southern Garage Layout (old pics up to page 27 added)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mumbles

Southern Garage Layout (old pics up to page 27 added)

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:35 pm

Hi!

Welcome to a New Mumbles thread!

The Attic is too cold and having ummed and ahhed about a rebuild and insulation job up there i decided to take operations into the garage.. because dismatling the loft would mean having no operational 00 layout.. and i'd was thinking that would be the harder of the 2 alternatives.

So the garage today as it stands after 2 dump runs looks like this
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/mumbles274/g1.jpg
and a bit further back
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/mumbles274/g2.jpg
an idea of how much junk there is still to clear, note the electrics.. they don;t work, this place needs a rewire [When you coming down Martin? :D ]]
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/mumbles274/g3.jpg
and to remind you of what i have stored in here and hope to continue onwards with
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/mumbles274/g4.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/mumbles274/g5.jpg
this is the picture that is driving me on at the moment, with a vision that at some point i will be running trains through this piece of scenery and sitting in a nice, warm, secure, train room [none of which it is yet!]
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/mumbles274/g6.jpg
immediate jobs are to;
*clear the rest of the junk and spiders
*line with some sort of insulation and damp proof sheeting
*board walls and ceiling
*wiring, power and lights
*flooring, old bit of lino probably

then, and only then will it be time to start modulating!

any tips/suggestions about these plans, please fire away, i have a working plan in the grey matter but if you can think of any thing that would help, or i should avoid, fire away

and i look forward to a fun 2008.. it will be interesting to look back in a years time and see where this started
as an idea this was where my attic was exactly a year ago
and where it was when i last took a pic in sept 07

cheers
Michael
Last edited by mumbles on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:28 am, edited 27 times in total.

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:38 pm

Good luck!

boyofbears

Postby boyofbears » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:45 pm

have you got a track plan for this layout? and wwhats the size?

good luck with tha future :D
my imaginery friend thinks u have problems.......wait........
my layout viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17368 new!!!

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:45 pm

I agree with PT, I'm sure you will have a lot of fun!! :D
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:53 pm

this is the track plan as it stands, although i think i have the dimensions wrong of the baseboards
also i think this is not how it would end up, very much a plan in progress
the bottom half is the scenic part, i would like the curves to be more sweeping too and tot try to get away from everything being parallel to the edges

Module1.jpg

michael
Last edited by mumbles on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ollyg16

Postby ollyg16 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:16 pm

What? No Mumbles "trade mark" inverted figure of eight?

(Hic?)

:shock:

PS Good luck with the layout.

Hope you find a lost Picasso in amongst the junk.

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:26 pm

mumbles wrote;
immediate jobs are to;
* 1.) clear the rest of the junk and spiders
* 2.) line with some sort of insulation and damp proof sheeting
* 3.) board walls and ceiling
* 4.) wiring, power and lights
* 5.) flooring, old bit of lino probably

then, and only then will it be time to start modulating!

any tips/suggestions about these plans, please fire away, i have a working plan in the grey matter but if you can think of any thing that would help, or i should avoid, fire away

* 1.) Clear all the junk, (place on ebay)? and allow yourself a clear working space.
* 2.) insulate with fiberglass insulation or cut polystyrene sheet and place between the rafters. then cover with polythene or fibre board/plasterboard.
* 3.) It's unlikely that your garage has a cavity wall, most likely single skin, so I would drill and fix 2x1 timber battens on the walls, placed at 400mm center's, fill in between them with fibreglass insulation, cover with polythene and either fibre board/plasterboard.
* 4.) You'll need to get a qualified spark to do this work.
* 5.) Lino's too cold, foam underlay and cheap carpet ?

Hope these ideas are of some use to you

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:34 pm

Are you going Dc or Dcc?

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:43 pm

K9-70 wrote:* 2.) insulate with fiberglass insulation or cut polystyrene sheet and place between the rafters. then cover with polythene or fibre board/plasterboard.
* 3.) It's unlikely that your garage has a cavity wall, most likely single skin, so I would drill and fix 2x1 timber battens on the walls, placed at 400mm center's, fill in between them with fibreglass insulation, cover with polythene and either fibre board/plasterboard.
* 4.) You'll need to get a qualified spark to do this work.
* 5.) Lino's too cold, foam underlay and cheap carpet ?

Hope these ideas are of some use to you

K9-70

cheers, all good and appreciated
2/3 > thanks, sounds like a good idea, poly or FG is prob better than that foil stuff i had thought of using
4> i know, thats a bit of a pain
5> thing is lino can be swept, and i won;t be barefoot in there so i'm hoping with a bit of underlay and lino i should be ok, may well consider carpet though as i have some offcuts in the loft

tina von lightmeister wrote:Are you going Dc or Dcc?

dunno, dcc would be preferred i think, would have to see what funds permit, might ask the missus to start saving for my birthday in july!
michael

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:46 pm

When you listern to the NSE 108 with sound you will be convinced

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi Michael,

After you mentioned moving into the garage a couple of months ago I thought long and hard about doing the same.

I have decided to crack on at altitude at the moment, but I expect to have my next layout (thinking 2 – 3 years) in the garage.

I look forward to following your progress. I will be releasing my ‘new ideas’ on the January 1st. Looking at the state of your garage at the moment I will probably be a couple of man-hours in front of you to start with (unless you have a really good couple of days construction).

Am I correct in spying a corrugated roof, if so what is it made off? I suspect you may well suffer from condensation drips, how are you planning to overcome this?

Lofty

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:20 pm

Am I correct in assuming you only have the one door, which is the standard ‘car entrance’.

When I was looking into doing a garage project I saw this as a major headache and would have built a stud wall behind it with a more normal size access rather than open up a whole end wall to the elements.

Lofty

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:21 pm

lofty wrote:Am I correct in spying a corrugated roof, if so what is it made off? I suspect you may well suffer from condensation drips, how are you planning to overcome this?

Lofty

Looks like cement/ASBESTOS........Happy New Year........ :P
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:29 pm

it is corrugated, i think it might be asbestos :oops:
i plan to board over it and make sure i don;t drill into it, i can;t say i've ever noticed any condensation in there but i can;t say its my favourite place to hang!
michael

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:36 pm

It sounds like it is the same as mine.

I had an indoor bike trainer in mine a couple of years ago. Half an hour of stationary cycling used to produce a condensation patch above me.

I also have noted that a stiff breeze from the back of the garage when raining has forced a bit of water up between the overlapping panels.

Lofty

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”