My N gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
beerandpies

Re: My N gauge layout

Postby beerandpies » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:46 pm

CAn you point me in the direction of the kits?

I have Hornby ones but the 2D nature of the actual armatures makes them look really poor on the layout... I'll probably use them for filling out areas in the end, with better quality trees as centre points.
Last edited by beerandpies on Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:51 pm

beerandpies wrote:CAn you point me in the direction of the kits?

I have Hornby ones but the 2D nature of the actually armatures makes them look really poor on the layout... I'll probably use them for filling out areas in the end, with better quality trees as centre points.

http://www.ecscenics.co.uk/index1.html

The first all in one kit that I got was the TR1111,bear in mind there are different ones for different size trees depending on layout scale.
Didn't get mine from there just a convenient link that shows all the Woodland Scenics stuff :D

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:57 pm

I'll check them out, thanks.

*debit card goes into exile* :lol:
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:38 pm

smallman28 wrote: ... Was looking at the Lyddle End toll house building,looks quite un-usual and I think it would make a good cafe type building ...

I've looked at that myself and thought it would make a nice 'quirky' feature. I do like buildings (or other features) that are a little bit individual - how about having a go at making something yourself ? That's the route I'm heading :)

Your layout is looking really good - any chance of some recent views of the layout as a whole ?

I like the subway on the paved area under the trees with a person sitting on the bench - nice little 'cameo' :)

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:40 pm

SouthernBoy wrote:
Your layout is looking really good - any chance of some recent views of the layout as a whole?

Here you go!
Clickable thumbnail :D

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:28 pm

YEAH!
Just won this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... tsupported

Only noticed it about 90 mins before it was due to finish.
Will go at the bottom of the hill with the building I have planned to get so it will be a cafe with some outdoor seating.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:03 pm

smallman28 wrote:Here you go!

You've got a really 'together' layout there and in my opinion one of the best of it's kind. Small but beautifully formed :)

budmanuk

Postby budmanuk » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:32 pm

It would be interesting to see your talents put to use on a larger layout. 8)
Cheers

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:38 pm

budmanuk wrote:It would be interesting to see your talents put to use on a larger layout. 8)

Well,made my dad a smaller one a while ago

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21368&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Am working on my one currently with a view to finishing it and selling it on to possibly build something a bit bigger.
The board will be bigger but that track plan I have in mind it quite simple,just want to try out a couple more ideas.

budmanuk

Postby budmanuk » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:01 pm

wow.. that wee layout is realy cool!! Excellent work dude.
Cheers

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Got me table chairs and parasol :D
Just need to get the building that is going to be the cafe.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:35 am

Back from the dead :shock:
Finally ordered some new locos,sold the ones I had before.
Also ordered some new lights from CR Signals to replace the existing ones,some of them had got bent from my careless elbows and one got so damaged it didn't work anymore :cry:
I am also going to try and get a station in as well.
No serious re-modelling required,well not yet anyway,depends on what else I can think of to do :D

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Right,a bit of progress :D
In a fit of destruction that I quite enjoyed ( :shock: ) I have ripped out most of the "old" lights.
I have managed to bend most of them in the past so they were not quite vertical anymore :oops:
There is now a bit of a platform that also meant removing some of the previously mentioned lights,even though they still worked.
Removing the ballasting to get the platform in was a pain along with trying to align it so as not to catch on any locos or coaches.
Along with the platform there is now a backscene board,there isn't anything on it a such as I just painted it blue but it does offer protection to the houses as I was always afraid of snapping them off when I had to get under the board.
I am also getting some of the Peco retaining wall that will run along quite a lot of the backscene just to provide some detail and interest to it.
There is also a plan in my head to get a perfectly good footbridge and cut it in half!
I need some way for people to get off the platform so I was thinking of a footbridge that would go over the retaining wall if it is tall enough but to do that it needs to be cut in half and the cut side will go against the back board to make it look like it goes over the wall.
Also finally got my little building to act as the cafe at the bottom of the hill.

Overall view.

Rear of the backscene.

Platform.

Building at the bottom of the hill.

There is a tall yard light to go in the sidings in the inner loop and two seperate lights to go in between the other two sidings.
The lights this time though are going to be white instead of yellow.
I am also toying with the idea of ripping up the two sidings to fit an engine shed,the tracks here are parallel so should line up with the spacing on the Graham Farish diesel depot model.

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=26153

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:43 pm

There has been another state of demolition today :D
Ripped up the two sidings to create an area of hard standing where the engine shed will go.
Also wired up the new yard light and one of the new lights for the sidings.
The white lights are so much better than the yellow ones they replaced.
Need to replace a couple of pieces of track that didn't survive being taken up :roll: and get the engine shed itself.

The tall light might have been better going by where the engine shed is going to be but being so close to the edge of the board I think it would get damaged too easily.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:51 pm

Bit more work in the last few days.
Laid a floor for the depot area,used the same stuff that makes up the retaining wall at the back :wink:
Painted it grey and gave it a wash of black to make it look oily and dirty,also grassed in between the tracks in a couple of places as well.
The engine shed turned up today so got that fixed down as well.

The station building I got is a bit too wide for the platform :oops: so I will need to get a different one,maybe one of the Hornby ones.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”