My N gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
smallman28

My N gauge layout

Postby smallman28 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:24 pm

I have literally just started on an N gauge layout based on one of the Peco set track plans,it is only 3ft 6in x 2ft 6in but even that is bigger than I thought it would be so it is going to be tricky to store long term.
I purchased a Graham Farish set last weekend that got me the basics although the track supplied is so small when you have all the wagons on it fills one of the curves.
My layout is going to be based on modern locos but isn't going to represent anything in particular,I am just going to stick on it what I want and like :D
I ordered some more track today to make up the full plan I am going to do,I was quite pleased as it only cost about £80 including the P&P,if I got the track locally it was going to cost me nearer £100.
I built the base board up on Xmas day,it is 12mm MDF and is braced by 18x45 battens.
It turned okay given I am no good at any sort of woodwork,luckily I can use the board cutting machine at work so at least I can get straight lines and right angles which is something.
For the edging I am going to cut some 1inch high 6mm MDF strips that will go all the way around the board so if there is any loose ballast it wont fall on the carpet if I try to move it.
I am going to paint the base grey before laying the track so if any ballast comes loose it wont be immediately obvious and it might double up as a temporary roadway.
A quick pic to show the massive amount that has been done so far :lol:

trainman

Postby trainman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:52 pm

I have my baseboard and frame made and 2 feet x 3 feet, but yet to build anything on it due to being too cold in my shed where I have it. Saving money on a bottle of gas to spend it on the layout later.
Check out http://www.wmrc.weebly.com and http://www.bramleyline.org.uk where like Tornado proved the doubters wrong, so We Will as well.

MrT

Postby MrT » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:10 pm

That pic looks remarkably similar to one of the first pics of my old N gauge layout (see link in sig). Good luck with it all - my layout was based on a Peco Setrack plan, and I had alot of fun with it.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:14 pm

Blimey Mike, it's like deja vu!

As for the impromptu running of illustrated train set on unmodelled board: remember that it is always vital to get in a 'sighter' and to 'test' the trains. Naturally, you have the right to 'test' the railway equipment at any time and this should take precedence over other trivial matters such as family functions, shopping trips or heart surgery ;)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:57 am

I was hoping there was a very small chance the track I ordered was going to turn up for this weekend but alas it didn't :(
Never mind,I spent most of yesterday putting about 5 coats of paint on the baseboard instead.
The grey colour I chose is supposed to be a one coat paint for PVC guttering,I got it more than anything cause it was cheap and it is unlikely I will use it again for a while so I didn't want to spend too much.
2 coats would probably have done but one wasn't enough on un-primed MDF,it's a bit patchy in places but most of it is going to be covered in scenery anyway.

Last edited by smallman28 on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:04 am

Well done smallman28, you have made a good start!

Due to Christmas and all that, there will be a backlog in the post and thats why your track hasn't arrived! I ordered a Bachmann class 37 on the 21st December and it hasn't arrived yet! :wink:

I do like that class 37 in your picture, I'm guessing is Railfreight pulling some petroleum tankers?

Great paintwork, look forward to seeing more progress!
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:28 am

Chuffer Chuff wrote:Due to Christmas and all that, there will be a backlog in the post and thats why your track hasn't arrived! I ordered a Bachmann class 37 on the 21st December and it hasn't arrived yet! :wink:

I do like that class 37 in your picture, I'm guessing is Railfreight pulling some petroleum tankers?

Great paintwork, look forward to seeing more progress!

I ordered the track boxing day,I was hoping the shop would be back at work on Thursday as they send anything over a certain amount next day delivery but they didn't send it till Friday and next day delivery doesn't include weekends.
Yeah the 37 is Railfreight paintwork,the one reason I got the set I did.
I am not up to speed on liveries etc but I don't like the purple EWS colours.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:41 pm

I am still being twarted in my attempts to as least get the track down.
My delivery came today whilst I was at work but for some reason 3 points were missing,they were marked as "to follow" but the website I ordered from still shows over 400 in stock :(
To cap it off my local branch of Antics hasn't get any in stock either even if they were open on New years day.
There is a little other local shop I can try but again thats if they are open.
The 3 "missing" points mean I can't even use it as it is for now as 2 of them are part of the loop.

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:16 pm

Thats bizarre about your shop showing 400 in stock :wink:

You can't even have a little operating session with your train as you haven't got all the track! :x Now that would really annoy me!

boyofbears

Postby boyofbears » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:28 pm

intersting
my imaginery friend thinks u have problems.......wait........
my layout viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17368 new!!!

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:42 pm

Bodged :D
I used some other bits in different areas to get the loop going at least.
It doesn't fit together quite right but will do for a bit.
I had problems with mounting the power connector as when I put it in the place it said in the plans the sidings were dead and it killed other areas of the track.
Moving it seems to have done the trick and I am wondering if it is an error in the plan.
The Sky remote is holding up my wire tunnel :wink:

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:31 pm

Coming along nicely despite the lack of points :lol:

Certainly a good variation on the "loop with sidings" plan having that figure-8 in there. Good to see another modern-image N layout being created too :wink:

Paul

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:47 pm

I have been playing all day and came up with this,it's just a variation on what I had already but it removes the points that were at the top which I thought were a bit useless and the gap in between them was barely enough for a train to pass without clipping the platform.
If and when my missing points turn up I might still do the double sidings on the bottom left.
I soldered the power connection to the track today,it went okay although I did soften a sleeper in the process but I just bent it back into place and all seems okay.

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:00 am

I think it looks a bit better now!

However, a passing loop can prove very handy when operating! :wink:

I would do the double sidings a you can add more goods stock etc!

Keep up the good work! :)

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:04 pm

Thats a lovely simple plan you have there! :D
If you wanted a passing loop (which really would add more operational interest), there looks to be plenty of room if you were to add a point where the first tanker is, and another on the straight at the opposite side giving a loop the length of the whole layout. A short straight after the points to push the track to the back of the board a little more will give plenty of room for an island platform in the loop too, though you may need to use a shorter straight on the inner loop to fit the passing loop in fully :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”