GCR 00 Gauge Layout - Final Plan Page 7

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
sishades

Postby sishades » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:53 pm

but I'm now wondering if I should move the idea into the attic where there is slightly more length but definitely room for a decent run as well

I would certainly recommend this, but make sure that you insulate first. I have used airtec double sided insulation as it keeps ultra violet rays away from the loft thus reducing the temperature. Also remember that ventilation is vital for keeping damp away. In my loft I have deliberately left small gaps between my end walls and the boarding.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:50 pm

Hey, any pictures would be awesome! I have seen/got a few, but the more the merrier!

Yeah, I'll be doing some work to the attic before I move up there, if that's what I end up doing, it's all a bit 'up in the air' at the moment. Either way though, up stairs or down, the layout can be 16ft long, so no worries there!

I finally have the finished plan, minus some surrounding buildings, etc, but the track work is sorted and works nicely, giving 7ft long platforms and 6-7ft long loops! I'll post up a picture as soon as I can. Then I'm not changing it any more. hahaha

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:28 am

Ok, here is the finished track plan, with station buildings missing (yet to be figured out) and other surrounding buildings ommitted. It's a tad big, so you'll need to click the picture link below and then click on the plan when it appears to see it in larger scale:

>>>Clicky Link<<<

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:53 am

Here is some background info for anyone not familiar with Nottingham Victoria Station. I hope to at least get the feel of the station but will admit I will not be able to get it looking quite the same.

This is the cross section of the actual Notingham Victoria Station:

The southern end of the station: (The turn table is bhind the loco)

The footbridge at the southern end of the station:

From the northern tunnel portal:

These shots gives an idea of the scale of the excavated area the station sat in:

Overall view of the southern end of the station:

The Northern Portal:

From the northern portal adjacent to the turn table:

Inside the station:

Te southern end showing the pointwork near the turntable area:

The station building and clock tower are visible here, taken from the southern end near the Parliament Street bridge:

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:59 am

This photo was taken some time around the year 2000, before a large carpark was built on the site of the northern turntable:

This is the current view north from approx. 6 storeys above the southern end of the station site:

The whole site was demolished in the late 60's/early 70's and turned into a large shopping centre with underground car parking and multi-storey flats above. Very little evidence of the station remains, namely, the clock tower, the northern tunnel portal, some retaining walls and for those who have a keen eye, there was until recently still the top of the wall and coping stones around the southern goods platforms areas, but the have now vanished under a designer clothes store.

Cunni

Change of Direction!

Postby Cunni » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:19 am

Well, after much thought and a quick chat with my other half, it seems the only real location for my layout is the shed, all be it an L shaped shed. The attic was too small and has limit access and the garage is out of bounds for anything other than vehicles.

After measuring up the space available, an L shaped layout was the only option. I decided I wanted to keep running the same trains as before but had to compromise massively on space and as such, length of trains.

I decided I wanted a two platform station, engine stabling area, goods area, parcels platform and fiddle yard. I also have been looking through the Scalescenes downloadable kits and really fancy building some of the terrist houses and retaining walls. I would love to incorporate some of the brick arces and under arch units, but can't figure out where to place them.

Again, large eralistic points and curves were the order of the day. The line will have to be fictional, based somewhere in the Ex.LNER/GCR & Ex.Midland Railway area, set in the late 50's.

This is the plan as it stands at the moment. Notice the special scissor crossing I'm going to have to make at the end of the station! Train lengths restricted to 5 carriages. (Town buildings ommited for clarity)

Please feel free to recommend or criticise this layout. I'm after a little help with how to use some under track arches, but due to the fact the whole town area will be above the track level around the tunnel area, it makes it awkward. The goods sidings will have factories at track level and will not be surrounded by arches or retaining walls.

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:23 am

Slightly more clarified plan:

This is the 'Shed': (Sorry about the small photo)

Last edited by Cunni on Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:25 am

That looks real interesting. :) Personally since you have bitten the bullet to create a scissors crossover already I think I would try to spread the main platforms a tad wider to try and get a central release/stabling road in. Looking at the photos that seems to be a feature of the station and being a trackwork freak it's my kind of thing. You could use a couple of normal points on the platform roads and a 3-way on the central road. Bit of interleaved sleeper work and it could look pretty cool. Just a thought.

Cheers
Dave

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:30 am

I like your thinking! Width certinly isn't a problem on that side of the layout! It'll all depend on how it ties in at the station throat, as I can't loose any more length off the platforms. Maybe some scratch built points there as well! :wink:

Do you know if SMP Copper Clad points are compatible with Peco Streamline flexi track and pointwork?

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:56 am

Nope, I can't make it fit without drastically reducing station platform length. Scissors it will have to be!

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:27 pm

Cunni wrote:...Do you know if SMP Copper Clad points are compatible with Peco Streamline flexi track and pointwork?

SMP copper clad are code 75. I've used the point kits and the SMP flexitrak but not tried combining it with peco code 75. The SMP rail is bullhead as opposed to the flat bottom rail that Peco use. More in keeping with the GCR maybe.

Cheers
Dave

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:31 pm

Generally, it appears the SMP is cheaper to buy, but the question is, how long does it take to create a simple point, let alone a detailed complicated item?

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:45 pm

Building the SMP points takes practice and is easier if you have the right tools. I reckon I can build a standard 3ft or 4ft radius point in around an hour. It took me much longer when I started but for the current project I've now built 6 standard points, a 3-way, a single slip and a double slip! The more complex toys like the slips are much more fiddly to build and take considerably more time. Hand filing the parts takes ages but if you have a Dremel or similar with a grinding wheel you can knock things out much quicker.

They are much cheaper and you can get some very good looking results but you have to spend some time doing it and be prepared to fiddle around adjusting things to get the best running. Also they are live frog and the point motors need to switch the frog polarity and latch (SEEP PM4) as there is no spring mechanism. There is a frog switching mechanism detailed in the build instructions but IMHO it's rather crude and almost certainly going to get wrecked when you clean the track!

Ya pays ya money and takes ya choice. :)

Cheers
Dave

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:52 pm

Cheers for that! I shall certainly look into it.

bunji

Postby bunji » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:15 pm

Wow, I like the look of that plan! Looks like it'll be a really interesting project, keep it up. :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”