GCR 00 Gauge Layout - Final Plan Page 7

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Cunni

GCR 00 Gauge Layout - Final Plan Page 7

Postby Cunni » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:26 pm

Well, I've been furiously working trying to fit something into the small space I have and this is the result, using XTRKCAD and then Microsoft Paint:

Loosely based on Nottingham Victoria:

The Southern End:

The Northern End:

Baseboards not shown yet. The layout will have to squeeze into a space 16ftx4ft with hidden return loops at the back. As you can see, I have allowed a large build-out to the front of the layout for the southern turntable. This could be removed from the plan quite easily. The tracks in both tunnels would run on Peco Setrack 1st and 2nd radius for the sharpest curves possible to reduce space consumption, the tracks then running roughly under Mansfield Road/Milton Street.

I shall be using Peco Streamline and I'm hoping to achieve 7ft long platforms. (x4) I am dropping the bay platforms from my model to save on width and also to un-complicate the junctions at each end.

I shall update this thread with progress made. Next job is to physically set it all out using the Peco pointwork paper templates. Then I'll get more of a feel for how it will look!
Last edited by Cunni on Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:54 pm

all looks good on your plans but may i suggest you use 2nd and 3rd radius as you could experience some de-railments on the first radius. i will be using 3rd radius or even do sweeping curves on my layout.

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:56 pm

Ambitious plan there , is the space for the curves of the return loops included in the 16 ft ?
A word of caution on first radius curves - some of the longer Bachmann/Hornby locos will only run on 2nd rad & above according to the manufacturers advice.

I don't know the station but layouts based on prototypes always appeal to me .

Good luck with it !!
Ron

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:19 pm

cunni,

do you get the hornby magazine? cos in Decembers edition there is about 4 or 5 pages on station layouts. it starts off with a article on Nottingham Victoria Station.

is this your first layout?

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:21 pm

Right, I didn't think it possible to build a curve that the same manufacturer's trains wouldn't run on, seems daft. hahaha But I shall take the advice and go for 2nd & 3rd radius curves just to be sure. The rest of the layout will be constructed with Streamline points and flexi track. I'm swaying towards code75 fine scale. Fidleyard/hidden tracks can be code100 flexi with setrack points for financial and space saving reasons.

The 16ft does include the radii at each end, thus why above I mentioned 'small space'! :wink: I'll work on the track templates and see what I can fit into the space, but so far, the XTRKCAD software seems to have me convinced it will work!

I'm now considering putting back the 2nd freight loop on the west side of the station and a low relief station building. More to come....... :twisted:

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:26 pm

Iankemp, I've built a couple of small diarama's with some good results. I'm ready to get straight into the complex stuff. Have been planning something along these lines for about 10 years now and it's just finally starting to come together at last.

I'm not even heard of the Hornby magazine, but I wouldn't mind seeing this article. Sounds like I'll be amungst a crowd building models of Victoria now! :roll: hahaha

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:40 pm

Ah i didn't know if this was your first layout that you was constructing or if you had done a few in your past.

the January 2008 issue of the magazine will be out on the 14 December but if your lucky you may be able to get ya hands on one from this month edition from Whsmith.

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:06 pm

I'll keep my eyes pickled for a copy!

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:19 pm

Does anyone know if Peco do 2nd to 3rd radius curved points or are they just for 1st to 2nd radius? They seem not to be shown on the Peco geometry plans.

I'm looking to add these to the inside of the tunnels for greater functionality on the layout.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:37 pm

A lovely plan there, it will be interesting to operate once it's done. I've had a soft spot for the GCR since I was little, theres just something about it, I don't know what it is. The photos that exist of the line and the trains in later years always make me want to build a model of a small part of it!

The setrack points can be used second to third radius according to the Hattons site.

Setrack curved double radius right handed point with insulfrog

Can be used to connect between No.2 and No.3 radius.
Angle: 11 1/4 degrees

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:12 am

Well, these are the finished plans; Nottingham Victoria minus the bay platforms and some considerable length.

North End of Station:

South End of Station:

Juggling the pointwork to get a realistic feel without being too sharp was the key here. I could have opted for space saving points (small radius) but I feel this would detrack for the look I wish to achieve and therefore I'd rather build something else.

The problem is that I've been concentrating on getting 2nd & 3rd radius curves leading into pointwork for the station but still allowing 7ft long platforms. This I have achieved, however I have realised today that I have focused too much on the platforms, so much so that the 'up' and 'down' goods loops would only be 2ft long! hahaha Completely useless. The passenger loops are only going to be 3ft - 4ft at best. A bit disapointing, as I was after near-full length trains. Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess. If I had an extra 4 ft this could be a great layout. Shame really. :cry:

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:35 pm

Hi mate

As a fellow GCR lover, I am glad to see your plan. However, how about doing something less ambitious to start with whilst the space available and, thus, the length of trains/ease of realistic operations is still an issue? I'd suggest maybe just model the station and cut it off at an overbridge to save space? Or model Leicester Central as it is a simpler design?

Also, re the trackwork, I'd strongly suggest you use flexi track to make it look more prototypical. Maybe even use a slip or two to save space a little further if that doesn't present financial problems.

Hope this helps you in some way. I'm sure with a bit of help and lateral thinking it will still be a terrific layout :)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:19 pm

Flexi track was always the choice for my model, I won't use anything else! :wink:

I understand it's ambitious, so I'm thinking of not bothering with the overall roof (would be too short) and not bothering with the proto-typical station buildings and awnings, I'll go for something that suits and is easier to construct. The walling I'll scratch build from card and brick aper, as I love those blue brick arches and the stone faces in the cutting there.

I might drop the turn table and loading docks from the south end of the layout, but the pointwork will remain virtually as is. I have just been setting out the point templates and have swapped a couple of large radius points for small radius and one left hand standard point for a curved item, but other than that, it's virtually the same. With out the sweeping look of the long streamline points, I feel it would be too compromised.

I was considering Loughorough Central, but realised that again, I'd have to make compromises and it reulted in the freight loops ending beyond both scene breaks, (Empress Road and station bridge) therefore is would give the feel of a four track mainline by mistake and not have very good operating capabilities. o I decided against it.

This plan of Victoria came about from me doodling on paper just trying to fit 4 platforms between two tunnel portals with the station being on one massive curve, it just ended up looking similar to Victoria Central, so I went with that flavour.

I'm hoping it will work out. All the baseboards are constructed already, they just need legs and then it can all begin! (Well, after the garage is cleared) :lol:

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:26 pm

Well, I got started on checking the plan actually works. You know what they say; "measure twice, pin to the board and ballast once"! hahaha

Here are some shots I took of the pointwork templates set out and some carriages set out to give me an idea of the tracks swept path: (I set out both ends of the station, see if you can figure out what's what?!)

Some of my carriage stock sat in the front room:

Next step is to start on the base boards, but I'm now wondering if I should move the idea into the attic where there is slightly more length but definatly room for a decent run as well!

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:23 pm

i have got some pictures of nottingham victoria station if you are interested.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”