Canon Street ~ N Gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
blooregard

Re: Canon Street ~ N Gauge

Postby blooregard » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:08 pm

Very nice work with the track there Zunnan, could be very useful indeed.

How did you heat the track?
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.

Zunnan

Re: Canon Street

Postby Zunnan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:15 pm

SouthernBoy wrote:Out of curiosity what is your process from planning to laying track ?...

Would you believe that I didn't plan it at all in this guise until I had the chipboard laid out on the floor? :lol: The plan shown on the first page was a quick scribble based upon the track as it had already been laid. It was initially drawn having a two platform station and small goods yard on High-Level with the engine shed on Low-Level and Mid-Level being purely the curved junction leading into just two tracks to 'Canon Lane' bridge to give a 'railway in the scenery' appearance to contrast the other board being almost entirely railway orientated. The only mathematical part was when designing the gradients as I needed to know exactly how long they needed to be to maintain a reasonable ruling gradient.

As soon as it had been drawn out, I realised just how little storage there was so added in the passing loop on Mid-Level to relocate the goods yard and widened the station to four platforms and one bay. In the era I wanted to model (Early to mid '60s), larger stations platforms still had access to all routes leaving the station, there was an article in Railway Modeller a fair while ago which had a OO layout based on Llandudno and was fairly close to what I now found that I needed so I condensed and simplified that track plan to fit the space I had available. It was this stage that the boards were built and track laying began, but the goods yard and engine shed were left at their respective entrances while I concentrated on getting two circuits running. The location of the goods yard and engine shed switched places when I obtained 20+ 16 tonners and realised that I needed the larger site for the goods yard to be able to cope with running near to scale length trains.

SouthernBoy wrote:I've just had an idea ... why don't you do something similar to Mumbles (and others I think) and set a webcam up, or series of webcams ? That would be fun - you could have like a multi-screen CCTV of your layout from favourite angles. You can get mini cameras which could be hidden between houses or something :D

I quite like the sound of that idea. It's certainly comething to consider :D

blooregard wrote:How did you heat the track?

I heated a glass chopping board in the sink to give me a flat working surface that would allow me to keep the plastic on the points workable for longer. Then I lit a burner on the cooker and held the piece being warmed over the burner at a distance which was just about bearable to my hand. Very unsophisticated I know, but I figured that if it was too hot for my hand to cope with then it could soften the plastic too much and affect the back to back measurements. :)

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:12 pm

I've had a change of heart about the engine shed area. It was going to be a small affair, but after cutting the turntable in I decided that I really didn't like the curved approach roads to the turntable, nor the limited storage roads for locos on shed. So I have come up with something a little more large scale, keeping the turntable where it was...I really should have held off on the TT!

A 4 road shed, the structure based loosely on Green Ayre (Lancaster), with a long term storage siding alongside a'la Rose Grove and having a coaling facility along the back of the shed which is also to be based on the coaling stage at Green Ayre although located on the opposite side to the shed to how it was sited in reality.

Try to imagine a mirror image of this, without the turntable at the shed entrance, and you have the general idea :wink: As an aside note, I have the full trackplan for this shed and fully intend on building it in OO/EM gauge when I have sorted the house move.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:03 pm

I'm so glad I redesigned the shed area, the old plan just didn't have enough capacity. And this one probably isn't big enough either!

Fifteen locos on shed graphically shows how much space is taken up even with this larger plan. The long term storage road (located between the turntable and the shed) will help matters by giving room for a further three tender locos, and the coal facility should provide for another three. Total capacity should be for around eighteen locomotives while keeping the turntable approach roads free.

Electrically I am going to wire the whole thing so that the points don't dictate the route of power, everything will be live and the whole lot will be switched for individual 6" lengths of track and points. Power routes will be dictated by the switches on the control panel allowing locomotive movements against point settings and also in sidings behind static locomotives. DCC would be easier to wire admittedly, but I am not willing to chip 20+ steam locos, a dozen diesels and rewire the parts of the layout that are already working!

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:29 pm

I like :) What turntable have you used, or is it home-made ? Your idea of 6" track sections makes sense. Out of curiosity, would you go DCC if you were starting afresh and the cost wasn't a problem ? For me there's something 'old school' about DC which I quite like ... although that doesn't mean I wouldn't go DCC in the future. What swayed me most was I couldn't see how to get a chip in really small locos like Dapol M7s.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:40 pm

The turntable is just the Peco offering. It does the job, its cheap, easy to put in place, but more importantly it looks right when compared to certain more expensive motorised offerings.

To be honest, I wouldn't touch DCC with a barge pole on an N Gauge layout. I don't think that the pickup ability of the smaller locos is up to the task, it's bad enough on the larger steam locos at times unless the track is kept spotless at all times. I'm not shy in saying that I hate DCC in the main to be honest. My OO DCC experimental layout was packed away long ago, even before the house move was on the cards, and I'm still in two minds about removing the chips from all of the locos for when I can start on the loft layout I have planned. The only saving grace for DCC are the sound decoders (and I do like my Howes class 40) so that may be the ultimate decider as I'm not affraid of the wiring needed for DC on large MPDs like the one I have planned.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:34 am

Just a quickie being as time is at a bit of a premium lately. Construction of the shed has begun!

Hopefully the 'face' of the shed vaguely resembles what it is supposed to. A lot of detail and definition needs adding yet but the basic structure is there, mostly to check clearances :) The white and cream framework behind is the skeleton for the roof and steam chutes, and will be built removable so that I can get my hands into the shed for those moments where engines decide they don't want to budge! The roof sections are going to take a LOT of patience, I'm going to glaze them in the same way as I have seen in photos of Rose Grove and Carnforth (and no doubt many other LMS sheds)

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:10 am

looking good keep it up!
Regards, Jed

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:37 pm

Zunnan wrote: ... the roof ... will be built removable so that I can get my hands into the shed for those moments where engines decide they don't want to budge!

Have you seen this Zunnan ? How to get a stalled loco going again: The County Gate Wobbler. Quite ingenious and something I'll probably try at some point. Best to still have a detachable roof though :)
Your shed is coming along nicely. Will you have lights (working) along the front like in the picture you posted ?

allesclar

Postby allesclar » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:32 pm

this is an awesome start, a big influence for my layout i must say.
My N gauge 90's Era layout - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18182

ste234

Postby ste234 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Have you got anymore done Zunnan?
Cheers,
Ste.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:44 pm

Affraid not, the layout is in storage while we're stuck in rented accomodation because the banks are being idiots with mortgages. Anyone would think a sizeable deposit and over £1.5k a month disposable income wasn't good enough to get a mortgage! :roll:

Postby 5690 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:52 pm

This is looking stunning, absolutely stunning. A true inspiration, very well done!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”