Canon Street ~ N Gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:46 pm

It's been a while since I updated here, but then work has been slow recently :lol:

In the recent pictures of the girder bridge, in the background you can see two tracks diving downgrade into a black lined pink foam tunnel. This week I've steadily been scratch building a plastic replacement to the Scalescenes tunnel mouth and retaining wall I had initially made for this location. I've now run out of materials to complete the entire tunnel mouth and approach, but THIS THREAD shows the current progress made.

Even in it's part built state it's looking FAR more suitable for this location. I'll keep the Scalescenes tunnel lining though, I really don't want to make a plastic replacement for that as well...although I am tempted! 8)

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:16 pm

Just a quick update as theres been very little work carried out of late. Theres rumbles of a house move on the horizon, so most major works are presently on hold. The following pics show progress to date.

The tunnel mouth is now in situ and being thoroughly tested for clearances with every item of stock.

I've also coated the embankment alongside the site of the engine shed with PVA saturated layers of toiet paper. The whole embankment is carved from loft insulation which provides more than enough strength. The points in the foreground are the entrance to the sheds.

The mightmare junction is now fully operational allowing several trains to be operated on DC at any one time. In this pic, theres the Peak hauled express, the 9F hauled coal train, an EE type 1 on a short rake of vans and a Jubilee on a parcels train.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:06 pm

Very nice - I just love the last picture with it's apparent multiple routes and trains. You've captured the look and feel of a major junction or terminus really well - and that's with hardly any scenics in place yet, great stuff!

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:55 am

Got to agree about the last shot. Truly excellent :)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Jack Burtonwood

Postby Jack Burtonwood » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:53 pm

wow, very impressive :shock:

Dannyproc

Postby Dannyproc » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:04 pm

I hope you get time to do more!

this is a fun one to watch
N Gauge

Zunnan

Re: Canon Street

Postby Zunnan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:57 pm

Long time no update. The house move has been put back due to the housing crash, I want to hold out for a better house for less money now! :lol: So work has commenced on the site engine shed on Mid-Level which starts at the passing loop under Canon Lane bridge at the other end of the layout to the station.

'8F' 48045 simmers on the entrance roads to the shed while two generations of local service pass one another. Looking at the buildings above (Metcalf card kits), I'm starting to seriously contemplate scratch building them in plastic.

This pic shows the space that the shed will eventually occupy, the pencil lines on the right show the initial planned headshunt for the passing loop. This has now been laid, albeit a little extended to provide room for a breakdown train at the rear of the shed.

This is the approximate track plan for the stabling facilities. The roads approaching the turntable will be the ash pit and coaling plant respectively with the central siging being lowered to house the wagons used for ash transportation. The three roads above will be the shed itself. Not a large affair, more a small sub shed with turning facilities.

If you note that the diamond crossing on the mainline junction is curved on the plan, it is on the layout too! :wink: The whole line is on a 25" radius curve (to Low-Level), easing to 36" after the junction on the line leading to the station (High-Level) so every part of the track needed to be curved, some of the points have also had their radii changed to fit the required curvature. Where track needed modifying, I cut the webbing between the sleepers on one side and heat up the whole thing, then carefully curve it and immerse it in cold water to set it at the correct radius before test fitting and repeating the process where required. Not exactly difficult to do, and it provides for some unique trackwork too, this junction would be impossible to achieve otherwise :D

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:06 pm

Zunnan wrote:If you note that the diamond crossing on the mainline junction is curved on the plan, it is on the layout too! :wink: The whole line is on a 25" radius curve (to Low-Level), easing to 36" after the junction on the line leading to the station (High-Level) so every part of the track needed to be curved, some of the points have also had their radii changed to fit the required curvature. Where track needed modifying, I cut the webbing between the sleepers on one side and heat up the whole thing, then carefully curve it and immerse it in cold water to set it at the correct radius before test fitting and repeating the process where required. Not exactly difficult to do, and it provides for some unique trackwork too, this junction would be impossible to achieve otherwise :D

Hi
sounds interesting, any chance of a few photos to explain further what you mean?
MIchael

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:22 pm

Yes, I'm curious about this technique too. I understand in principle how you've done it - but would be very nervous the points wouldn't work afterwards (or would be less reliable). Then again, I guess if they're motorised and wired to switch polarity the electrical side is taken care of and then it's just a matter of ensuring trains still run smoothly over them ... :) Pictures of the junction/crossing would be nice.

Zunnan wrote: ... Looking at the buildings above (Metcalf card kits), I'm starting to seriously contemplate scratch building them in plastic ...
Thats a nice picture - the scene looks good - but I was thinking (for in the future on my own layout) of taking something like a Metcalf kit and using it as a template for scratchbuilding. It certainly saves drawing up plans or measuring (or guesstimating) the real thing. In theory you just stick the flat-card-kit onto plastic and start cutting :D (or photocopy the kit first so you can use it again and again :shock: ).

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:15 pm

Heres a couple of views of the curved junction which show the modified pointwork. I found that as long as the track being heated isn't heated too much (ie: it is still comfortable to touch), it is very pliable. And if you use a piece of glass which has been warmed in hot water, you can use this as a flat surface to keep it all flat and aligned while changing the alignment. This junction has been down for almost 2 years now, and the only problem occurs when running trains 'wrong line' over the diamond crossing...coaches (especially Dapol ones) and wagons WILL try to go the wrong way! But when tested with my Minitrix 9F and 20+ coaches, you can have the loco push a lengthy train over all of the pointwork without a single derailment when working in the right direction.

Electrical contact is now via a microswitch on each point, but before these were fully wired in the modified points worked normally.

the two curved points have been realigned to 25" radius curvature. The extreme right hand one is 24" on the straight route (headshunt) and approx 42" on the diverging route (to the running lines), basically it has been straightened slightly. The one next to it has had its curvature tightened to 25" running 'straight' and 14" diverging into the passing loop.

Quite a nice vantage point from the top of the embankment looking up the line towards Canon Street Station looking up the line along the curved junction.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:33 pm

I must say I am very impressed, both with the pictures (lovely fluid lines) and your ingenuity. Can I ask how you worked this all out - like did you draw it all out first using some mathematical model - or did you just align it all by eye as you went ?
I do agree about the second picture being from "a nice vantage point " - it'll look great once scenics and so forth are in place.
Thanks for the pics - much appreciated.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:58 pm

Thanks, thats praise indeed :) I just wish that I could view the layout from that embankment, but it backs up against a wall so will never be viewed from there other than with a camera...And once the row of terraced houses goes in, it'll be lost for good. I may have to design the terrace to be able to lift out in this location so I can take pics from time to time :wink:

It was all worked out the old fashioned way; with a pencil and ruler basically. I laid out the chipboard before the baseboards were constructed and drew the rails individually using a wire set to the required length to get the radius for the main running lines, like you say, to keep the lines consistent throughout the curvature. Then I filled out the gaps where the points would go by drawing in the pointwork using differing radii of Tracksetta (both OO and N Gauge ones) where the necessary points weren't available. This worked well because it meant that I effectively had templates for the pointwork and crossing, which meant that they could be checked for alignment long before any track was laid down.

Even the complex junction at the station throat was designed in this way. You can still see some of the pencil lines below the track in a lot of the photos all over the layout.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:45 am

'Quite a nice vantage point' is an understatement! Good work
Very clever reworking of track work, that crossing looks excellent, each line seems to curve in relation to the track either side of the X.. that's something i tried hard to do when i laid track in the garage.. was to lay the points so the radius from them matched the curve of the flexi track they fed into [if that makes sense?]

I have some vantage points on my layout the same.. i can only just get a camera to get there and take the shot but that is half the fun.. imagining where the 'trainspotter' would be and taking shots from there.. one of most frequent shots i take of my garage is from a point i can never look from.. i still have some great angles i can see from but those vistas of camera only perspective are the.... best

cheers
Michael

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:22 pm

Laying the flex to the angle of the points I found a nice easy task. Peco points are all 18" or 36" radius, so when laying the flex I always lay going away from the point when on the diverging route and always use the appropriate radius Tracksetta inserted into the point as far as the check rails, the only place that this didn't work was on a straight crossing on Low-Level going into the diamond. Thankfully it isn't too bad.

Laying the curved junction was incredibly easy though, mostly down to having it drawn out on the baseboard, but also down to the use of OO Tracksetta templates. The crossing was curved to 36" radius to match the Peco curved points and the track either side laid to 37" on the outside (embankment side) and 35" on the inside. This was done using a 36" OO Tracksetta held to the outside of the flex track along the rail (as opposed to an N Gauge Tracksetta which sits inside the rails)

I'm definately siding with building the terrace with a removable section for photography, that view up the junction is too good to lose really. I'd love to see images from other layouts which have obscure 'hidden' views, most of the time they are better than the view you get from the front of the layout!

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:55 pm

Out of curiosity what is your process from planning to laying track ? Like I can see a couple of computer generated layout plans in your thread - but rather than print them out and stick them down to lay track over - you've drawn track guidelines by hand with good-old-fashioned pencil and tracksetta etc ... I like it :)

Zunnan wrote: I'm definately siding with building the terrace with a removable section for photography ...

I've just had an idea ... why don't you do something similar to Mumbles (and others I think) and set a webcam up, or series of webcams ? That would be fun - you could have like a multi-screen CCTV of your layout from favourite angles. You can get mini cameras which could be hidden between houses or something :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”