Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dan8400

Re: Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout (Video added p9)

Postby dan8400 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:28 am

Looking good Dave.

Would love to know how you are going to wire it all up. I've got all my point motors working on control panel 1 so far but would love to add lights to it eventually. Any diagrams/explanations on how to go about it? I am using push to make buttons, looks like you're using sprung 'centre off' switches.

Anyway, keep up the good work

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi Dan
thanks for ther comments. Here are a few2 more photos from yesterday to show progress and method yesterday. As this is my first ever electronic project I am winging it a little and learning as I go along! My soldering is not very good but I did notice it getting better as the day went along.
If the panel works when I get it finished I may add a topic to show a step by step guide (fingers crossed!)

Firstly I wired all of the common terminal of the centre sprung switches together. One of these will be linked to the output from the CDU:

The I wired each of the switched terminals in sepereate colours to make identification easier:

My original plan was then to solder all of these into 25 way D connectors to enable me to easily unplug the control panel if I want to make any changes later. Unfortunately I found that soldering into D connectors is very fiddly and way beyond my capabilities, so I now need a plan B. Any ideas anyone? I did think about using terminal blocks but I would need a lot of connections and its not so easy to unplug later.

Today I plan to start wiring the LEDs in, so I will hopefully post another update later tonight.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:34 pm

You can get terminal blocks that unplug from each other. So like the D socket you wanted to use with the ease of fitment of terminal blocks

Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Solved the problem of connecting the panel to the boards today, thanks to a few salvaged McMurdo plugs & sockets from work.

Each one is 32 pin so should be plenty for now. I was a bit worried that they may have been too heavy duty and reduced the current in some way, but I did a test run tonight with one switch and LEDS connected on the workbench and all appeared to run ok.

Hopefully I'll get chance to finish off the wiring this week and get delivery of the missing switches, so maybe installation in the loft this weekend if all goes well.

Dave
Image and Image

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:59 pm

Don't worry 'bout your plugs and sockets Dave, it works the other way round, "heavy duty=less likely to cause a problem". Your wiring behind the panel looks neat, like a real wiring job in the days before PCBs and ribbon cables.
John W
Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

terminalblocks

Postby terminalblocks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:47 am

dan8400 wrote:You can get terminal blocks that unplug from each other. So like the D socket you wanted to use with the ease of fitment of terminal blocks

Dan

Yup, these are called plug-in terminal blocks. They don't require a screw and are easy to connect and dismember. PM me if you have any questions!

jamest

Postby jamest » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:10 am

Hi Rammy,

That looks pretty impressive - I thought one of the LED's would light according to the direction - but they alternate red and green, awesome!

I don't suppose you could explain how the LED's integrate with the switches and point motors? I get the wiring for for the power and switch side of things but I'm stuggling to imagine how to incorporate the LED's. Does it matter which sort of point motor you use? I know the seep ones have the capacity to switch polarity for electrofrog points - but I'll be careful as I am exceeding my knowledge a little (not difficult).

When you have time of course! :D

Cheers,
James

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:42 pm

James

I use the Seep PM1 point motors that, as you said, have the auxiliary switch built in. I use this switch to control the LEDs on the panel.

I will run a 12V common feed around the board linked to terminal F which feeds the LEDs on the panel that are connected to terminals D and E. The LED cathodes are linked together and this wire is then fed back to the 12V supply to complete the circuit.
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:07 pm

I have spent the last few days completing the wiring on my control panel. As my first electrical project I have been really pleased how it has come together. I would encorage any of you who are nervous about building a control panel to just give it a go. It's quite easy to pick up the basic on the forums and put it into practice.
I managed to buy some black pinstripe tape on ebay for £2.04 inc postage - a bargain compared to Halfords, especially when Halfords staff said they didn't stock it despite the website saying they did! Now I am sure that I should have done the tape before fixing the switches and LEDs but you live and learn.
The panel has now been attached to the layout in the loft ready for wiring into the point motors.
Tonight I have soldered wires to the first 5 points ready for installation later this week.

The finished panel:

The completed wiring - not the neatest ever but good enough for now:

The panel installed on the layout:

The spaces on the left & right of the panel are for future expansion. The left side will be the storage sidings and the large space on the right is for a possible fiddle yard which can be accessed from the upper layer of the layout.

Dave
Image and Image

jamest

Postby jamest » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi Rammy,

I reckon its impossible to get that many wires any neater - great job - and thanks for the explanation on the LED switching.

I reckon the health and safety people might draw attention to the sharp edges of the sheet metal. How many times will you snag it before you radius them off? :D

Cheers,
James

taytrain

Postby taytrain » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:34 pm

nice an tidy wiring there, well done

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:47 pm

jamest wrote:I reckon the health and safety people might draw attention to the sharp edges of the sheet metal. How many times will you snag it before you radius them off? :D
Cheers,
James

Agreed, reversing into it could prove painful. A generous radius on the corners, and if you can find some a rubber split-piping fitted down the sides and across the bottom in one piece would finish the job in proper style.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:53 pm

Actually I think it is ok :)

Looking at where it is positioned you will be pre-warned of imminent danger when you clout your head on the loft truss, believe me I should know :lol:
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Don't panic guys. I had already thought about the sharp corners and plan to install some panel edging strip
Image and Image

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:53 am

Hi Rammy

Flippin 'eck, that's a splendid job on the control panel! Let's face it, a decent control panel always makes things easier to operate and the wiring is a piece of art mate!

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”