Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dan8400

Re: Chadwood - 00 loft layout

Postby dan8400 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:33 am

can I ask how you got the 'stones' like this in the car park area? Is it some kind of roofing felt?

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

Rammy

Re: Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout (ADVICE NEEDED p8)

Postby Rammy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:03 pm

Hi Dan

Thanks for the comments. I really must crack on and get more done. The water damaged road has now been replaced by a new scalescenes printed road. I am still thinking about some roadworks though!
The above photo is a slight illusion.The base was a layer of neoprene cork, kindly donated to me by a local gasket manufacturer. I have stuck down the paper scalescenes road and pavements onto this now, as well as using it for a base under the tracks. I can see in the above photo that it may appear to look like stones - but it doesn't really!

Regards
Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:18 am

Hi,

Looking through this thread I can see you have done some excellent work. A lot of care has gone into that station scene and the road etc are top notch :)

Saw the problem you had with the water and wondered if you have fixed it yet? I know it it is frustrating to have to spend cash elsewhere but you should seriously think about making sure that problem does not comeback before you make much more progress with the scenery. It would be a great shame for yourself to see any more hard work damaged in the future.

It could well be condensation or, if it was localised, maybe a problem with some mortar holding a ridge tile in place. If the latter then it would most likely only occur (water seeping in) when rain is being blown in a certain direction. You should be able to tell, from looking up at the roof from outside, if it is an issue with a ridge tile.
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks for your comments & advice. I'm fairly sure it is just condensation due to it only being a few small drops. We also had the ridge tiles repointed a year or two ago, so they should be ok. I have done a temporary fix for this winter by stapling an old flanelette sheet to the roof beams over the railway. Any small drops of condensation are absorbed by the sheet and do not drip onto the layout any more! I think I will have to invest in the foil insulation eventually, but I would rather spend the money on other things at the moment.
Busy making up a couple of Knightwing bits at the moment in anticipation of getting back in the loft soon. A kit of 2 forklift trucks and a Fuelling Depot are being glued up ready for sending to my brother for painting. Before & after photos to follow.
Image and Image

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:10 pm

Thats cool mate, if problem has been resolved then why spend any more money on it :D
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:21 pm

I am thinking of spraying my roads with matte varnish. But I am unsure whether it will stop water drops making the ink run?

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:14 pm

Hulldude15 wrote:I am thinking of spraying my roads with matte varnish. But I am unsure whether it will stop water drops making the ink run?

I was also going to try that, but I can't find matt varnish spray anywhere. Where do you get yours?
Image and Image

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:10 pm

I could have probably got it locally but decided to get some online: Here is the stuff I got: Click!. It's a spray and it gives and non-shiny finish. Only used it on my platforms so far and not card kits.

Not too bad price too, I have seen some more expensive stuff on b&q's and homebase's website.

Rammy

Re: Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout

Postby Rammy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 am

Had a quite constructive weekend for a change. Managed to get a Knightwing Fuelling point and 2 Knightwing forklifts finished. The will make the usual trip to my brother's for painting. I have also got the fencing on the second platform glued into place. Whilst I was working on that I also decided to make some platform signs using the Scalescenes R001a Station Signs and some wooden coffee stirrers, cut down and sprayed matt black!
Although this sounds rather insignificant compared to some of the progress that get mades on some threads on here, I am actually quite pleased that I got something done for a change.
Finally, I manage a couple of hours in the loft tonight to have a look at what needs doing and I got to run a few trains around for a while. Well, that was after I managed to get them all started again after the cold winter spent in the loft.
Anyway, here is the very first video from Chadwood. I hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkRnPH4YUxQ
Image and Image

jamest

Re: Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout

Postby jamest » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:57 am

Hi Rammy,

I spray my scalescenes stuff with copeous amounts of cheap haispray. At a quid for a huge aerosol its pretty cheap (you might want to pick one without too pungent a smell though!). I've not tested it to destruction but I have spilt water on my platform surfaces without any damage.

Cheers,
James

Rammy

Re: Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout (Video added p9)

Postby Rammy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:11 am

I decided to crack on this weekend and try and make a start on laying the trackwork around the depot area. I managed to get an hour in the loft on Saturday only to get disturbed by my kids coming up wanting to "play trains". Whilst the loops are independent from the depot area I am working on, I found that I couldn't really get much done. Anyway, it was nice to see the kids wanting to get involved. My 8 year old son soon got fed up and returned downstairs, but my 6 year old daughter was really enjoying herself.

Sunday was a little more productive with some time alone up there . After gluing down the neoprene cork base yesterday I was ready to start deciding on a plan and laying the track. Several points were layed and point motor holes drilled ready, a couple of droppers wired in to get me started and 66532 made it into the half built shed.

Hopefully I can keep up the momentum this week and get some more finished off.

Dave
Image and Image

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:25 am

Layout looks great in your video

Is the run up to the station on a ramp? Was watching your video and your carriages on the DMU appear to raise and fall as if they were coming off a ramp onto a flat
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 pm

I see what you mean, I hadn't noticed that. No it is just an illusion. The camera was placed next to the 90 degree bend just before the station, so the DMU came from behind the camera and straightens up just as it appears in shot giving the illusion that it has just come up a hill. I will try and take a video sometime showing a trip around the layout so you can see the whole thing.
Image and Image

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:51 pm

Rammy wrote:I see what you mean, I hadn't noticed that. No it is just an illusion. The camera was placed next to the 90 degree bend just before the station, so the DMU came from behind the camera and straightens up just as it appears in shot giving the illusion that it has just come up a hill. I will try and take a video sometime showing a trip around the layout so you can see the whole thing.

HaHa i though i was going mad as i looked at your other photos and it was flat. A trip around the layout videos are usually great always a bit risky attaching a camera/camera phone to a wagon and then send it hurtling around the layout
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:53 am

Started work on a control panel tonight.
An aluminium panel with a 45 degree bend at the top is being used and will attach between the roof beams in my loft adjacent to the depot (where most of the points will be located). I have mapped out a plan on paper and temporarliy attached this to the panel so I could drill through for the LED lenses and switches. I am using centre sprung switches from CPC and some bi-colour red/green LEDS at each point to indicate stop/go for each dircetion.
Managed to get all of the holes drilled, lenses & most of the switches fitted. TomorrowI hope to pop to Halfords and get some black tape to mark out the tracks and I may start the wiring.
Here's a few pics of progress so far~:

Dave
Image and Image

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”