Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
BIG DUNC

Re: Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout

Postby BIG DUNC » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi,
I like what I see on your layout.
Keep up the good work.

Duncan...

BIG DUNC

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:48 pm

Wow some top progress you have made looking good 8)

Keep up the good work and updates

Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi Rammy,

How much in that parking meter for 2 hours in the loft ??

I also thought a bit about those water drips ...... will you have any old sheets, or even very thin curtains from a charity shop ?
Theory is :- You only had a few drips off the underfelt, no real volume of water ...... with an old sheet stretched across the roof timbers and held tightly in place with drawing pins any drip would hit the fabric and then spread out, being soaked up enough to prevent drips reaching ground zero ...... or station platform/car park. The moisture would then just gradually evaporate ......... As I said just a thought, quick, easy, cheap ..... will it work well enough ??

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:39 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. Really appreciated feedback and a real morale booster.
Just spent 8 hours at A&E with my 8 year old son who has brkon both bones in his lower arm whilst playing football at school. Kept him in for an operation tomorrow, so I have just logged in for quick look here and you've cheered me up. Thanks!

Geoff - strangely I had the same thought yesterday whilst I was up there. I have just renewed the water damaged platform and was thinking what I could do without going to the full expenses of the foil insulation and suddenly I thought maybe I could nail up a dust sheet or something. Even wondered about buying some cheap sky blue coloured material from Dunelm!

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

BIG DUNC

Postby BIG DUNC » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Rammy wrote:Thanks for the comments guys. Really appreciated feedback and a real morale booster.
Just spent 8 hours at A&E with my 8 year old son who has brkon both bones in his lower arm whilst playing football at school. Kept him in for an operation tomorrow, so I have just logged in for quick look here and you've cheered me up. Thanks!

Geoff - strangely I had the same thought yesterday whilst I was up there. I have just renewed the water damaged platform and was thinking what I could do without going to the full expenses of the foil insulation and suddenly I thought maybe I could nail up a dust sheet or something. Even wondered about buying some cheap sky blue coloured material from Dunelm!

Dave

Hope your son is ok mate, hope everything goes ok

Duncan...

BIG DUNC

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:50 am

Ouch - nasty !!
Poor little fellah's going to get bored ........ have to let him play trains !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Hello Rammy,
Very painful for your son - hope he's doing-well and on-the-mend. The Lay-out is looking very good. Keep-up the good work,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:12 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Ouch - nasty !!
Poor little fellah's going to get bored ........ have to let him play trains !!

Geoff T.

Not sure he'll be able to make it into the loft with 1 arm Geoff. Maybe I'll have to start a little diorama for him :D
Image and Image

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:44 am

wow, this is a really great layout :D

I am envious of those roads haha, whats the best kind of material to print these onto? card?

also, liking the 66s :wink: would you recomend it?

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:52 pm

35011 GSN wrote:wow, this is a really great layout :D

I am envious of those roads haha, whats the best kind of material to print these onto? card?

also, liking the 66s :wink: would you recomend it?

Thanks for the comments.
The Scalescenes roads were printed onto white card and then glued onto the cork matting that covers that area with standard PVA glue.
I love the 66's although I have had some teething problems with them. The Malcolm Logistics version is being an absolute pain, and I need to carry out some mods to the bogie & wheelsets as they keep catching on the body causing derailments. I will be glad when I have finally sorted it! Having said that, I think they look great and want to buy more. I would love a sound fitted version but the budget won't stretch to that at the moment.
Image and Image

Rammy

Re: Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout - (ADVICE NEEDED p8)

Postby Rammy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:42 pm

I have now turned my attention to the board opposite the station area. This will become the depot / fuelling point. The area is 200 x 45cm and I have been trying to work out the best layout for this. The point in the top right is fairly fixed as this comes from the loops circling the layout. Everything else is still movable. This is what I have thought of so far:

Any comments or alternative ideas would be appreciated before I fix it in place.

Thanks
Dave
Image and Image

lairadepot

Re: Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout (ADVICE NEEDED p8)

Postby lairadepot » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:48 pm

hi rammy
just been through your thread and i must say you have your work cut out there i would not of attempted to build a layout with all those beams i thought my loft was bad but it appears to be a saint beam wise compared to yours??
so what is the theme for your layout i take it that it is of modern theme and you can anything you like on it??
but will you be doing any type of steam specials
and what is for the future for your layout
and what would you like santa to bring for you for xmas for the layout???
look forward to your progress
peter

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi Peter

Yes the beams are a bit of a pain, but they are no too bad once you get used to them.
The "theme" (if I really have such a thing!) is modern(ish) Midlands based suburban station leading to a small depot & sidings on the opposite board. So Central /East Midlands trains passenger services with Freightliner / EWS 66's running around with intermodal freight and maybe some HHA hoppers in the future. Steam just isn't my thing.
Don't get a lot of time to spend in the loft due to work commitments and having a young family.
I have asked the Mrs for a Dapol track cleaner for xmas that I will probably apply some of these vinyls to from Electra Railway Graphics. I may then need a yellow Network Rail 37 to push it around. The shopping list never ends does it? lol
Thanks for your interest. I must get into the loft and make some progress!

dave
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:03 am

Happy New Year everyone!

Well the weather is finally starting to warm up, so I managed to sneek a couple of hours up in the loft last week under the guise of putting the xmas decs back up there!
Whilst I was up there I managed to give the Dapol Track Cleaner (xmas present from SWMBO) a run around, only to find it is a bit fat and hits my nearest platform (poor track laying by me!). Should b easily fixed though. Been out this weekend and got a 8 x 4 ft sheet of 6mm mdf for a small job in the house, so the rest has been cut by b&q ready to be used as the backscenes. Not sure if I will just paint them a blue & white blend or buy an off the shelf one to stick on. There are some great ones out there now.
I promise to try and get more time up in the loft now and get some progress made and a few updates posted.

Dave
Image and Image

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:28 am

Hi Rammy,

I have been looking through your thread and I think your doing a really first rate job!! The station area / carpark / bus stop looks really good. Shame aabout the water ingress. Are you still thinkig about doing the roadworks? That would look cool

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”