Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Black-Marlin

Re: Chadwood - 00 loft layout

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:51 pm

Rammy wrote:I have added a second line to enable simultaneous running of 2 passenger trains. I assume I should run these in opposite directions for more realism??
Dave

Hi Dave.

Two parallel lines function exactly like a road for cars: you drive on the left. Take a look at any of the recent videos on my thread Starlingford to see the principle in action. Hope this helps!

Your station building is looking ace, by the way! I'm looking forward to seeing the circuits, including the freight line, up and running... as, no doubt, are you...

Cheers,
Gavin

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Thanks for that info Gavin. I really no nothing about how "real" railways work.

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Not had a great deal of time to get in the loft lately, so I've had to make do with a bit of retail therapy and a bit of progress with making the scalescenes platform:

The platform tops are about ready for gluing down. I am really pleased with the scalescenes product.

The ratio footbridge has been built and is ready for sending to my brother for painting

A couple of ebay purchases

Started collecting grape stalks to try covering with flock to make trees

And 66532 is added to the fleet

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:55 pm

The weather has been too nice to be in the loft lately, but last Sunday was my birthday so 66532 (early birthday present) is now officially mine and is about to be fitted with a bachmann decoder. Also got some Modelscenics ballast and scatter to start playing around with. With the poor weather forecast for this weekend, I may finally make some progress around the station area.
Meanwhile, my brother has completed 3 of the Dart Castings figures:

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu May 07, 2009 12:22 am

Been up in the loft tonight to try the scalescenes retaining wall and platform 2 for size (both still work-in-progress)
I've also been trying a couple of tracks for size on the upper level freight lines.
Pleased with the results so far. Just need to work out the best way to transition from the walls to bridges / tunnels at each end.

Overall view of the station board:

View from what will be the car park:

I really must sort out a backscene too!

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Thu May 07, 2009 10:40 am

Ref: The grape stalks.. Interesting idea..

A thoght occurs though.. will they not rot?

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Thu May 07, 2009 11:20 am

Hi Rammy, the retaining wall looks great... apart from the fact that it's upside down :oops: :oops:

The thicker part of the retaining strip of bricks should be at the bottom, not at the top, but apart from that, it adds a really nice backdrop to the station. It's also nice to see the finished Superquick station, as I've got it to build.
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu May 07, 2009 12:50 pm

Mighty,
I don't think it is upside down (see photo from Scalescenes website):
I have seen several on here with the thicker part at the bottom and assumed they were wrong, but haveing browsed the web for pics it appears that they exist both ways round.
Hopefully it will look better once it's finished.
Dave
Image and Image

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu May 07, 2009 1:26 pm

I think I can see where the confusion lies. The projecting part of the walls, the buttresses, should be vertical, with the walls themselves sloping between them (so that they are broader at the base than at the top). Because you are using them to mask a vertical surface, the walls are vertical and the buttresses appear to project outwards, thus looking odd. Turning them upside down, as Chris suggests, will leave you vertical walling with buttresses sloping inwards - a much more prototypical appearance.

So the two options are to have the buttresses vertical and the walls at a slant (as per the scalescenes picture), or to have the walls vertical and the buttresses at a slant (as is equally prototypical). Given the nature of the actual material comprising the support for your raised section, I suggest the latter as being the easier of the two options.

Hope this helps,
Gavin

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu May 07, 2009 4:20 pm

I think i may have caused some of the confusion myself.
As I said in my original post, I was merely carrying out a trial run of where the wall was going to go. It is far from finished (parapet walls & cappings to be fitted still). The next stage of assembly is adding the rear supports that will hold the wall at an angle and hold the buttresses vertical as designed by scalescenes.
The polystyrene idea is not definate yet or may have a piece of board attached to the side for support.
Image and Image

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Ah, confusion. Always fun. :D

G

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sat May 23, 2009 9:56 pm

B@rney wrote:Ref: The grape stalks.. Interesting idea..

A thoght occurs though.. will they not rot?

B@rney
I've had several stalks for months now and they have just dried rather than rotting. I have yet to make any into trees but I will post photos once I do.
Dave
Image and Image

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Sat May 30, 2009 9:04 pm

Rammy wrote:Image

Said one figure to the other!

"Officer this person was caught stealing some stuff, here is the photographic proof!!"

cool looking layout, keep up with the good work. Them walls look good as they are, you can extend the upper layout up to the edge of the brick work on the bits that stick out!!

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:50 am

love the layout and I must say I like the buttresses the way they are. Perhaps the engineer\architect had a quirky sense of design. Either way with some nice stone capping stones they would be an impressive site!

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:49 pm

I have finally got the retaining wall finished, although not fixed in position yet. I think the parapet wall finishes it off nicely.
New arrival at Chadwood - a Hornby 4 car Pendolino.
Hopefully I'll make some real progress one of these days, but for now here's some pics:

Dave
Image and Image

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”