Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
leon

Re: First layout - any advice?

Postby leon » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:03 am

hey fella how's things coming along its been a while since we all heard from you

i finally got trains running in my loft

hope to hear from you soon
orwell my loft layout

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16032

02_tank_buff

Postby 02_tank_buff » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:09 pm

looking good. You've got a loft like mine and my dad says I cant fit a layout it there...well you've proved him wrong! :D

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:45 pm

A year on and it's time to return to the loft to carry on or start again. I have decided to start again as I was unhappy with the plain, flat option I had started with (everything on one level). I have been playing around with a few ideas and have come up with the following plan (using winrail):
Freight would run around the blue lines which would all be raised on viaducts, etc on top, bottom and left boards whilst the majority of the right board would be totally raised for the shed, fuel, sidings, etc. My 170 DMU and 43 HST would run around the red lines.
My existing stock is (1 of each) class 37, 31, 43 HST, 08, 170 DMU (central trains) - just odd trains I have collected over the years!
I would like to add a Bachmann 66 freightliner, simply because I like the look of them.
Anyway any comments, concerns, of alternative ideas would be very much appreciated as I really am new to this and don't really know much about trains either!! I just like the idea of giving it a go.

Thanks for reading
Dave

S_Jay

Postby S_Jay » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:19 pm

How do trains get from the red section to the blue section :)

Nice plan by the way it's very easy to see what you are trying to do :D
My Layout, My world, My rules, if that's ok?
My layout with no progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14866
My other layout with progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18394

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:47 pm

S_Jay wrote:How do trains get from the red section to the blue section

My plan was ... they don't.
I was just planning to run them as 2 totally seperate lines, keeping the freight on the upper section.
Would that look silly?

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:11 pm

I don't think it'd look silly, in fact I think it's got potential too look rather nice. The good thing about the plan is that you don't have any problems with gradients as there aren't any!

I think the station might look a bit odd with the island platform and the platform to the right too. Maybe just have the island platform and save yourself a bit of space? I feel like the depot area has something missing but I'm not sure what. You might be able to get the passing loop on the freight line a but longer if you used curved points and long freight trains are always good :D Is that loop going to be hidden btw?

Have you though about access for the red fiddleyard? How about adding a second fiddleyard under the depot? (even if it's just a loop big enough to hold a DMU?

Ignore my comments if you don't find them helpful!

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:01 pm

zabdiel wrote:I don't think it'd look silly, in fact I think it's got potential too look rather nice. The good thing about the plan is that you don't have any problems with gradients as there aren't any!

I think the station might look a bit odd with the island platform and the platform to the right too. Maybe just have the island platform and save yourself a bit of space? I feel like the depot area has something missing but I'm not sure what. You might be able to get the passing loop on the freight line a but longer if you used curved points and long freight trains are always good :D Is that loop going to be hidden btw?

Have you though about access for the red fiddleyard? How about adding a second fiddleyard under the depot? (even if it's just a loop big enough to hold a DMU?

Ignore my comments if you don't find them helpful!

Ignore your comments? No chance! That's exactly why I posted here - I want some comments. As a newbie, I don't want to keep starting layouts and then changing my mind.
I think the fiddle yard under the depot is a great idea. I'll have a play around with the plans to look at that.
I'll have another look at the station too. I really want to use the Superquick A10 station kit I built (line side version not terminus)
Thanks for the comments - more welcome!

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:24 am

Nice plan - I am assuming you can run locos on both blue and red at the same time?

The superquick terminus is in my 'inbox' ready to build - I'm fairly sure that it's one and the same - you can either build it as a terminus or as a through station, probably by rearranging various bits and pieces. I'll try and check for you.
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:53 pm

Mighty wrote:Nice plan - I am assuming you can run locos on both blue and red at the same time?

The superquick terminus is in my 'inbox' ready to build - I'm fairly sure that it's one and the same - you can either build it as a terminus or as a through station, probably by rearranging various bits and pieces. I'll try and check for you.

Yes, red & blue will be running at the same time on different levels. I've made a few changes last night.
This is the lower track running the passenger trains:
The right hand side under the depot will be a small fiddle yard as suggested by 'zabdiel'

and this is the upper track running the freight:
Still some work to do with the trackwork in the depot. Not happy with that yet.

The layout is DCC controlled via a Hornby Select.

I have already made the main station building from the superquick kit. The side buildings that form the terminus can also be positioned in line with the main building to make a longer station. That's what I intend to do. I have the scalescenes platforms to make as many (and as long) platforms as needed.

Dave

leon

Postby leon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Dave where you been hope all is well its been ages since you was on.

new plans for you aswell i see hope to see some update pics soon
orwell my loft layout

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16032

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:02 pm

I've now started pulling up the track I laid for my first attempt and started laying it down for the new design.
I am going to start off with the lower (red) section and see how it goes and leave the upper freight layer as a future development.
Having laid the track for the station and through the industrial estate, it is obviously a lot less track than the 1st plan but it seems far more manageable and should offer more scope for the scenics. I think plan A was just too much track and not a lot else.

Rammy

Re: Chadwood - First layout - any advice?

Postby Rammy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:57 pm

A few pics showing the start of track laying for the lower level. Also trying out the unfinished Metcalfe station for size.
The side extensions for the station building haven't been started yet and the roof needs finishing.
The plastic Hornby platforms will be replaced by scalescenes one's once they are finished.

Rammy

Re: Chadwood - First layout - any advice?

Postby Rammy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:52 pm

After a bit more tracklaying and running the 170 DMU on what was down, it was clear it didn't like the curves around the industrial estate. So I have now change this area to straight track to run behind the industrial units. Although this will make the trackwork rather plain, I feel it may look good with the trains running behind the units.

New stock added today. A purchase off a local ebayer at just £45 'as new'.

Graymee

Re: Chadwood - 00 loft layout

Postby Graymee » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi dave,
Just picked up your post on my thread, thought i'd drop by and have a closer look. :)

Looks very good and i can certainly see how i could use my loft effectively now. I kind of like your idea of a split level affair but being a newbie aswell i don't fully understand the fundamentals of track planning so can't really comment further. Other than to say that i wouldn't be able to resist linking the two in some way. When all the scenery is done and you are just "playing trains" the challenge of taking one wagon from the very back of a lower level siding and swapping it with one from the very back of an upper level siding could have you stuck up in that loft for hours, peace, quiet, tranquility... :wink: :lol:

Keep the posts coming and i promise i won't steal many ooops any of your ideas. :wink:

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread

Rammy

Re: Chadwood - 00 loft layout

Postby Rammy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:56 pm

I finally managed to get a few hours in the loft this week to make a little progress.
Firstly I have installed 2 cheap (£7) 3 spotlight strips from Ikea to save me having to keep moving a light bulb around:
I have been adding droppers linking in to the bus wires. Probably need to add lots more but I've just added enough to make the whole track that is laid live so I can play around and make sure I am happy with it.
I have added a second line to enable simultaneous running of 2 passenger trains. I assume I should run these in opposite directions for more realism??
Here's the track laid & live so far:
This will be Chadwood station with a freight line running on the raised section:
The approach to Chadwood station. I am thinking the freight line running above will cross on a girder bridge.
The industrial estate on the left and passenger train storage (behind a backscene) on the right hand side.
This plain looking board may eventually get covered with a fuelling depot & sidings at the height of the freight line. It is currently just the return loops for the passenger lines.
The current stock - total mix of eras for now (all with Hornby decoders fitted):
and the non DCC stock awaiting chips:
On the nights I haven't been able to get in the loft, I've been making progress with the Metcalfe station building that will be used as Chadwood station. I picked this up still in kit form for £3 at the small Mickleover club exhibition last year.
Not sure if my Metcalfe engine shed will really fit in with the space or era I am modelling. I assume this is more steam based?

Hopefully I can keep up the momentum and post smaller updates next time!

Dave

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”