The beginning stages

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
joshv8

The beginning stages

Postby joshv8 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:33 am

Ok, so Im piecing things together slowly for my layout. I have a small room to build into approx 2.90 m deep by 2.80 m wide. Im planning to build a complete loop around the walls and have a cut out in the center. Im thinking Ill run three tracks, and have a little fiddle yard (maybe in the middle) with a turntable, maybe a roundhouse to one side. I want to model mostly LNER. Ill have to get a rought track plan up however if anyone wants to contribute any ideas Id be more than happy to have a look. As for the roundhouse I know its not exactly an English thing so Im still looking at that. In any case heres a few of the engines to occupy the line and I also built and slightly modified a walthers turntable. Ive got a rake of LNER (Flying Scotsman) coaches and about 8 clerestory coaches now so Im looking for wagons at current. Once Ive got some rolling stock ill start buying more track etc.I plan on going all digital, i want everything electric and to make it look as realistic as possible. Let me know your thoughts, criticism's and ideas :) oh, sorry about the photos being a little bright...

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:50 am

Nice rolling stock there, I love a bit of apple green myself, very nice.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:57 am

Interesting your room is almost square.

I assume the orientation of your layout will be dependent on door and windows.

By all means post up a plan if you want comments.

Oh, thank you for the nice comment on my thread. :oops:

I have not sourced comments on my own layout track plan as it is currently an end to end.

Most of the members layouts appear to concentrate on roundy roundy's.

They have different design limitations and different advantages over end to end. Besides which the original source idea was a station on the Wales/Herefordshire border. Now heavily modified.

Bryan
No longer a member

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:39 am

Bryan Gundry wrote:Interesting your room is almost square.

I assume the orientation of your layout will be dependent on door and windows.

By all means post up a plan if you want comments.

Oh, thank you for the nice comment on my thread. :oops:

I have not sourced comments on my own layout track plan as it is currently an end to end.

Most of the members layouts appear to concentrate on roundy roundy's.

They have different design limitations and different advantages over end to end. Besides which the original source idea was a station on the Wales/Herefordshire border. Now heavily modified.

Bryan

Credit should be given where it is due :)
Yeah, I like the idea of having something that goes round. End to end layouts do seem to be a lot of fun however and do often allow for more realism, rather than a train passing through the same station once a minute lol.
In this room there is one window which wont be in the way and as for the door way theres like a 1m long hall as such from the room to the door so it will be out the way also, and at 23 Ill have no problems climbing under a baseboard :)

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:11 am

You may be 23 now but one day you will be 24 and perhaps not so agile :twisted:

I would consider a lift up section across the doorway so that the occasional visitor can join you.

You might not think this at the moment but once word gets out that you have a working layout you will find you will get the occasional offer of help.

Unless of course you live on the middle of a 10,000 acre sheep farm... :wink:

Bryan
No longer a member

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:34 am

Sheep farm?? This isnt NZ eh. lol
heres my Picasso of my track plan, I had mr squiggle help me after a few drinks :shock:
The door way to the room would be near the bottom left corner. As is say this is my crude idea so whoever should like to can input and we will get a good idea going. Im currently having a play on HVR2 so I shall have to learn to take screenshots.

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:23 pm

Request to XtrkCad skilled members

Could someone with the necessary skills convert the drawing into a computer generated design to help out.

Josh is a new member to the forum and may be to shy to ask.

I don't have the necessary skills myself :cry:

Bryan
No longer a member

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:25 pm

joshv8 wrote:Sheep farm?? This isnt NZ eh. lol

The are only 3 things I thought came from Australia - Sheep (wool), Wine (cheap) and Kangaroos (Uneatable). .... :twisted:

Now are you telling me its only Wine and Kangaroos.... :wink:

Next thing you will be saying that you have eaten all the Roo's.... :shock:

Bryan... :lol: ... :lol: .... :lol:
No longer a member

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi Josh

Nice plan fella and I think you've got a nice selection of stock to work with. As for the design, can't really help mi'self 'cos I only use flexi-track but as Bryan says, I'm sure someone will help if you need it. I suggest that perhaps your best bet is to put a new post to the effect of "Would anyone be able to help me with designing my track, etc" under the 'Track/Layout Design' section.

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:12 pm

Geez, someone would think theres a problem with my obscured layout designing capabilities lol.
Bryan, lets just say we have sheep here, but theres more in NZ (sorry to any locals), our cheap wine is cheap, as for kangaroos still plenty of those...pretty sure a pack of them chased us once...I dont think they wanted to be friends anyhow..and people do eat them, and Australia is also the worlds largest exporter of coal :) Im pretty sure we have also learnt to pack procrastination and sacasm into a can and are gonna market that world wide 8)

Infrontcat, Im going to mostly build my layout with flexi track apart from where there is points etc. I think I shall put p a post in the next day or 2 however if no one else just pops up.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:08 pm

joshv8 wrote:Im going to mostly build my layout with flexi track apart from where there is points etc.

Good lad ;) I certainly think that once the initial fear people seem to tend to have when they first use flexi ("Oh god, you mean I have to cut the rails to size myself...surely I need a degree in engineering for that?", etc, lol) it is by far the best way to get the railway to look 'just right'.

As for the points, Peco Streamline is perfectly good for me and I'm sure you'll find it a doddle to understand the geometry of it all in a hurry :D

Cheers fella

Tim

PS: If you need any advice mate, feel free to throw a 'PM' my way ;)
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:34 pm

joshv8 wrote:Geez, someone would think theres a problem with my obscured layout designing capabilities lol.

None at all, but as a newcomer I thought you might like to take advantage of the skills that exist here on the forum.

If you read the threads you will discover that there are members who think nothing of helping a fellow members out with a computer generated design of their "Picasso" version. All that needs to be done is a request made.

After all it was you that requested " Let me know your thoughts, criticism's and ideas."

You will also note that I also separated an attempt at humour in a separate thread from a practical reply. But obviously that was lost. Even though I use smiley's.
No longer a member

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:52 pm

Bryan Gundry wrote:You will also note that I also separated an attempt at humour in a separate thread from a practical reply. But obviously that was lost. Even though I use smiley's.

Haha, Its all good, I got the humor, It actually gave me a good laugh. Im assuming you didnt see the humor in my reply. Its funny, I get along really well with one of my fellow painters at work who came over from England a couple of years ago and we sometimes find it hard to pick up the differences in English and Aussie senses of humor.

Flexitrack all the way :) Besides the point of appearance its just too cheap. 100 bucks for a box of 25 900cm lengths.

Ok, so today I came home and taped out on the floor in the given room my basic plan, heres some pics...Im aware that The corners are to tight and not everythings exact but it gives an indication of what I chasing :) and is most likely what I will have a track plan drawn up from.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:56 pm

Looks excellent a a really good idea in laying the layout on the floor using tape, never seen that before, very clever.

It's a good track plan, very nice.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:36 pm

now thats smart. Might have a play with xtracad tonight for you. (if the wife wants to watch casualty anyway) so no promises :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”