Longcroft

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
hairyhandedfool

Re: Longcroft

Postby hairyhandedfool » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:53 am

Only just seen this thread, so apologies for the late entry, anyway I had a thought about your bulbous end...I mean platform end. Below is a link to a google earth pic of the south end of Luton station. The 'fast' lines have longer platforms because they need to accomodate HSTs whereas the 'slow' lines have shorter platforms to cope with 8 car units, so the island platform between the fast and slow lines has a 'half ramp' on one side, see the link, it might be easier to just see it, anyway the point is that if you only need one platform to be that length, then you could shorten the other with that style of ramp.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=luton&ie=UTF8&ll=51.882213,-0.41276&spn=0.000692,0.001625&t=h&z=19

Also, St Albans station has a thin platform ramp at one end (the ramp starts where the yellow line meet) and a fat one at the other, see next two links.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=luton&ie=UTF8&ll=51.749695,-0.32772&spn=0.000694,0.001625&t=h&z=19

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=luton&ie=UTF8&ll=51.751162,-0.327573&spn=0.000694,0.001625&t=h&z=19

So if you absolutely have to have ramps, they can be very thin!
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

I'll_be_in_the_loft

Postby I'll_be_in_the_loft » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:39 pm

hairyhandedfool wrote:Only just seen this thread, so apologies for the late entry, anyway I had a thought about your bulbous end...I mean platform end. Below is a link to a google earth pic of the south end of Luton station. The 'fast' lines have longer platforms because they need to accomodate HSTs whereas the 'slow' lines have shorter platforms to cope with 8 car units, so the island platform between the fast and slow lines has a 'half ramp' on one side, see the link, it might be easier to just see it, anyway the point is that if you only need one platform to be that length, then you could shorten the other with that style of ramp.

That's spooky. I've just come down from the loft for a cup of tea (will have a laptop and a beer fridge up there one day) and was contemplating the very same thing. Still not sure though. I can see today being a very non-productive day on the track but quite productive in the mind. I know one thing though, I need more track!
My ebay sales may be viewed by clicking HERE.
Feel free to place bids, GENUINE bidders only please.

allesclar

Postby allesclar » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:56 pm

i dont see whats wrong in using used ebay track :) hehe but then again if you want the best possible running. I dont model in 00 so sadly i dont know when the new 125's are out :(
My N gauge 90's Era layout - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18182

I'll_be_in_the_loft

Postby I'll_be_in_the_loft » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:05 am

Ebay track isn't always used. Quite a lot of what I have bought is new and I would guess surplus to requirements. You do have to be a bit careful especially with points but I've picked up some real bargains on there. There's also 1 or 2 methods of finding decent stuff on ebay which no-one else has spotted but they're my secrets :lol: Once I've finished my track then I'll put the surplus on there for someone else.

Anyway, a small update today with some pictures taken yesterday. I have fully corked the centre section now as I need that space for rolling stock storage. Hopefully it will be painted on Monday and track laid at the weekend as long as I get it ordered very soon.
I have extended the small loop with streamline points and it will now take 2 locomotives. I have also today (so not shown in the picture) extended the 2 tracks where the DMU is sitting. You should be able to see the 2 points and crossover where 2 straight on tracks will disappear towards the wall with probably a road overbridge against the wall. These tracks probably won't be used and are purely cosmetic. The only thing I may do is stick a DMU there 'waiting' on a red to come into the station, then I at least have another option on what is running on those 2 tracks. The right hand turn from the points now align themselves with the 4 main tracks before going up an incline which I may even turn into a tunnel so they enter at baseboard level and emerge higher up. This way I can probably get away with a steeper incline than normal especially as the longest train to use this will be a 3-car DMU.

Next, I have added another small fuelling point track where the shunter is. The point will be changed for a Y point once I get one. This could prove to be an excellent 'home' for the shunter with the marshalling yard nearby.

Next, I have put together the opposite end of the marshalling yard pointwork. Hopefully it looks right? This will give me full access from all 4 tracks into all tracks in the marshalling yard of which there are 6 in total. Apart from the TMD this should be the last serious amount of pointwork to be fitted. The signal box may take a bit more work yet though as it appears a bit too round and almost looks like a paint pot!

Finally, what does anyone/everyone think of SEEP point motors? They look good to me especially with a built in switch to use on signals/LEDs etc. I'm thinking about using them throughout the layout but don't know much about them. Are they reliable?

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:06 am

As reliable as any other, possibly more so. They're the most popular choice I believe in solenoid-type motors, and if you get them from The Signal Box they're cheaper for 6 or more!! :wink:

Paul

mycerbera

Postby mycerbera » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:46 pm

mycerbera wrote:when you're finished with yours, you can come do mine!!

I'll_be_in_the_loft wrote: By the time I've finished mine you will have moved to a much bigger house to fit all 5 kids in and 12 cars in the driveway! Anyway, you're not getting ANY help until you let me have my DMU shed back. I'll never forgive you for winning that from me. Git!

Yeah yeah yeah :P 2 kids is plenty thanks! Only got 5 cars on my drive at the mo... actually!

beejack

Postby beejack » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:46 pm

Just caught up with this thread.

I like what i've seen so far! Very intrested in your station area, the walling at the back looks great.

What is the depth of your baseboard in the station area, it looks to be about 3 foot?

beejack

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:48 am

Only just discovered this thread. Have to say, like others have, that the space is brilliant and the BR blue looks fabulous too. I can't wait to see things develop further. I can't wait to see several HSTs in the station! Awesome!

I'll_be_in_the_loft

Postby I'll_be_in_the_loft » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:31 am

beejack wrote:Just caught up with this thread.

I like what i've seen so far! Very intrested in your station area, the walling at the back looks great.

What is the depth of your baseboard in the station area, it looks to be about 3 foot?

beejack

I measured it earlier and believe it or not it's only 26" but I am pushing the limits in what I can squeeze into a station. I think the walling is growing on me now, I didn't like it at first, good to hear others like it, that probably saved me pulling it down again!

rmg1919 wrote:I can't wait to see several HSTs in the station! Awesome!

I've got 6 HST sets at the moment but am trying to cut those down to 1 set. I've recently bought a few Lima Mk3 coaches in blue/grey which look excellent. If I don't get rid of the rest of the HSTs before the station is near completion then I promise I will take a picture or 2 with the HSTs lined up.

beejack

Postby beejack » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:22 am

Wow I didn't realise that you could get so much into a small space.
I'm looking at including a large station in my layout which I'm hoping to get started this winter, I'm was looking at a 36" board for that area, so looking at yours I may be able to drop to a 30" board and save myself stretching so far!

beejack

I'll_be_in_the_loft

Postby I'll_be_in_the_loft » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:31 am

It was a struggle but worth it I believe. With 9.5 platforms it gives me extra storage space for rolling stock too without it looking out of place. The platforms are quite narrow though so if you want to get a similar result then something has to give. I don't think that will be too noticeable though as quite a bit of the platform area (the central part) will be covered up anyway. At least that's what the plan is today, it could change by tomorrow :o

I'll_be_in_the_loft

Postby I'll_be_in_the_loft » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:57 am

Well, today wmarked a landmark in the short history of Longcroft. Not much to most on here but today was my introduction to flexi-track and I have to say I was dreading it! I've got loads of the stuff, mainly bought from ebay as surplus to requirements and some second hand. I've only used good stuff though, even if a sleeper end was missing it didn't get used. A couple of different makes too by the look of it as 1 has quite dark sleepers, almost black, while the other is more a brown colour. Trust me though, the difference shows up FAR more in the pictures than it does in 'real life'.
Anyway, after a slow start, all part of the learning curve, I got going on it and I have to say it is far easier to use than I thought it would be. I've managed to lay all 6 tracks in the fiddle yard and joined them all up to the pointwork at either end. Now it will be a lot easier to continue as I can keep some stock here which gets used to test platform clearances and such like without having to remove it from the track all the time! Next stage will be to complete the sub-loop from the end of the station, over the stairs round to the back wall and into the fiddle yard.
It may not be up to the standard of some tracklaying on here but I'm happy with it and that's all that matters to me. The fiddle yard will be ballasted eventually and yard lights installed so it will be a proper 'working' yard as opposed to just being a storage area. Well, it will be a storage area but it will look right if you understand what I mean.
Anyway, onto the pictures. They don't seem to convey the real thing very well to be honest but then they have just been taken after a night in the pub!

Firstly, the pointwork at each end of the yard.

Next, the fiddle yard itself when the glue still shows up white.

And finally, the fiddle yard looking a bit more populated. Plenty of room for a 5-car HST or a 6-coach loco hauled train which is what I will be running. Also some sensible length freight trains.

I'll_be_in_the_loft

Postby I'll_be_in_the_loft » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:57 am

Oops, double post as pointed out by allesclar. I blame the beer! :shock:
Last edited by I'll_be_in_the_loft on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

allesclar

Postby allesclar » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:18 am

awesome update :) loving the cross overs :)

allesclar

Postby allesclar » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:20 am

oh just noticed :P double post and im not talking about me ;)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”