My Girlfriend Has Been Inspired By AlmightyChuff's Layout !!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:01 pm

DrStroganoff wrote:And to the person who suggested I buy the girlfriend some livestock, yes, she wants some sheep on the hill... :roll:

8) Livestock is always good :)

Like the idea of terraced housing too. Just an idea, but how about a service road behind the station with afew railway items lying around :)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:09 pm

What kind of thing would be lying around? Like maybe a pile of sleepers and some old rails or something ? Sounds good though !!

almightychuff

Postby almightychuff » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:31 am

DrStroganoff wrote:Well, we're gonna stick with the peco underlay..... but we've scattered ballast around the goods yard....

We're thinking of maybe a little row of terrace houses behind the station to fill it up a bit.

And to the person who suggested I buy the girlfriend some livestock, yes, she wants some sheep on the hill... :roll:

wall looks great!!!!! that second shot looks very realistic too!

keep up the good work :)

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:06 am

I have got to agree that second Picture looks great.

critter592

Postby critter592 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:23 pm

That looks pretty impressive! Well done!

If my little project looks half as good as that, I'll be happy!

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:37 pm

A little update.... We havent done an awful lot to this layout recently.... We've come upon a few frustrating problems with the layout...

I'll post some pics in a minute, when my computer decides to sort itself out....

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:54 pm

OK.... well we bought a new Class 04 shunter last weekend, and we noticed it has an awful hard time pulling a few wagons up the gradient... It can handle either 1 coach or about 3 or 4 little wagons... Whereas the J94 saddle tank could hall pretty much whatever you threw at it, so we never noticed there was a problem because it was the only loco we had...

The 04 and its max load :

So today I have just received a new engine, a Grafar class 4p tender engine... My thought was, bigger engine, better traction... How wrong I was... The mrs is gonna be very disapointed when she gets home from work...

The bloody thing starts slipping by here !!!! : -

And it just cant get past this bit :

And thats without towing anything !!!!!!!!!!

So now I'm very annoyed at this whole thing...

If you put a tiny bit of pressure on the roof of the loco with your finger it picks up fine... So do any of you have any tricks for increasing weight/traction on N gauge locos ??? We really dont wanna start the layout from scratch !!!!!!!!!!!!

How long, Oh Lord how long before I do something right.... :?

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:59 pm

Try putting a little weight in the loco. might help it up the inclines.

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:34 pm

Yeah thats what I was thinking, but what could I use for weight ? Its such a small little thing im not sure what I could use that would be very small and pack a good bit of weight.... :? hmmmm

jweighell

Postby jweighell » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:00 pm

Not 100% sure what the best thing would be to use, but perhaps some lead? I used some lead sheeting for the flashing between our house and conservatory, and that was pretty hefty!

I think you've learned the hard way, as I did with my 1st attempt at a layout, that inclines aren't a great idea unless you've got a lot of space...

Anyway, hope it works out for you!

Jonathan

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:03 pm

There's stuff called Liquid Lead. Not actually liquid, it's very small grans so should be good for stuffing the chimney with or something.

Blue_Dalek

Postby Blue_Dalek » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:09 pm

in reference to inclines.. they are fine.. but.. you generally don't want to have them on a curve if at all possible.

If it's on a straight, and gradual enough, any loco should be able to haul a reasonable train up it.

(ie: Hornby 58 hauling 14 hoppers)

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:27 pm

I like that 4P :D i saw one over here in the USA a while ago, erm... before i studied British steam locomotives :oops: , i wondered what it was :P

try lead pellets, or lead putty, that might help weigh it down. and put it in every possible place :D. I like the mini layout it looks really cool! if i was into N gauge i would do something similar, but i cant stand the thought of accidentally stepping on one or something :P
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:01 pm

Are your inclines smooth ?

Looking at these two pictures below, it looks like the track rises from the level crossing to the church, then levels off a bit, then rises again toward the bridge. It could just be the photos make it look like that when it isn't - but if it is - then making the incline smoother would be my starting point.

Another approach would be to make the road dive down a little where it goes under the bridge, so that the bridge is lower and the track doesn't have to rise so high to cross over it.

DrStroganoff wrote:Image

DrStroganoff wrote:How long, Oh Lord how long before I do something right....

Don't worry, it's all part of the learning curve - everyone has some similar frustration when they start out.

The layout is looking good though !

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:32 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys, very very helpful...

However the general concensus is that we are going to take it as a lesson learnt, and change it round a bit.... Maybe with the track all flat, and have the road going up and over a bridge or something.... we're gonna have a look on the weekend.

Oh well, at least we've got 2 nice engines ready now !!! :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”