Cramdin Yard

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
MiniMichael

Postby MiniMichael » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:43 pm

What did you use for the grass?

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:54 pm

I was thinking that too! :wink:

Also what ballast do you use?

Thanks
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:25 pm

As previously mentioned the ballast is Woodland Scenics medium grey blend stuck down in the time honoured way with PVA and weathered. The vegetation is hanging basket liner.

I really tried to keep the control box and wiring neat and tidy but somehow it has got into the normal spaghetti mess. May have to do some more work here. :(

Here's a before and after comparison, well at least a comparison of an HEA in original condition with one that has been messed up. This was a bit more of my practicing this weekend. The Bachmann model is none to special so it definitely needs weathering but I'm not yet convinced. I need to find something workable as I appear to have acquired a largish rake of these. Reminder to self, block ebay from my web browser!

The last pic is of an OBA that I have truly messed up. This is another Bachmann model but this time it's a much sharper and detailed job. Got another one of these in EWS livery somewhere I think!

The layout is set pretty much present day so I need to disguise this RailFreight wagon. It's looking reasonably faded, chipped and rusty. May need a little more fading/general grime yet and the interior doesn't work which is why it's not on display. :)

Cheers
Dave

tinsleytmd

Postby tinsleytmd » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:52 pm

Jesus i totally forgot about this layout. Its looking great a tip for the gap when cutting copperclad use milput on the cut & it makes the pointwork look alote better.

Simon.

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:53 pm

Dave that is superb weathering on those wagons! Well done!

Look forward to more progress! :wink:

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:10 pm

Managed to find a couple of hours spare today and it was too bloomin' cold to work out in the garage on the layout for long so got the paintbrushes came out again. There have been some stunning weathering jobs on RMweb recently including a couple of Class 08s so I had to have a go at one of mine and also mess up my other OBA. :)

Here they are innocently waiting on the yard reception road blissfully unaware of ther impending fate.
:twisted:

After a couple of hours on the kitchen table things have changed a bit. Not entirely sure it's all beneficial...

I had intended that Cramdin Yard would be a wagon repair facility so I can only assume this wagon is inbound to the works or there are no cleaning facilities!. I intended this to be a light weathering but...

Here is the truly messed up 08630 sitting on one of the loco refueling roads. This is a work in progress as I'm not happy with it yet.

Cheers
Dave

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:43 pm

That EWS 08 looks fantastic and very realistic! :wink:

Many hours well spent on it I'd say!

Look forward to more progress!

tinsleytmd

Postby tinsleytmd » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:49 pm

beautiful work i love this layout its brilliant well made & well thought out.

Cheers Simon.

Old Tom

Postby Old Tom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Your layout is OK, I suppose, but it could be better, it's not all that realistic....

Translation:

"What a terrific layout! I wish it was mine!"

Some lovely modelling... well done ElDavo :D

Tom
I've seen everything now... I've even seen a bus going along the M4 bus lane!
My train vids
http://youtube.com/profile?user=Tomlan2007
Website
http://tomlancaster.weebly.com/

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:59 pm

...compared to this layout, mine seems more like a train set! When you look at the realism! :wink:

peak

Postby peak » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:54 pm

Have to say I'm impressed with your weathering!
I think it takes a lot of guts to potentially ruin a perfectly good (new) loco!
As for your wiring it is very neat compared to mine! I wont photograph mine!!
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:00 pm

A bit more progress over the weekend. Nothing like a bit of bad weather to inspire you. :)

Oh no more wiring! Just for the heck of it I though I'd bung on a signal or two, well one so far. To allow trains to exit the yard I've installed a colour light signal on the down main. Not yet sure how to signal the exit control from the yard but I'm pretty sure it involves at least one ground signal. Here's a view of 08630 held on the down main at a red.

In the right you can just see a hint of what else I've been up to. Started on the half/low relief buildings I'd planned along the back. This is another Linka experiment and is part of a factory/warehouse complex. Unfortunately this shows up how mnay more bits and pieces I need to build! This is the reverse view of the previous shot.

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:23 pm

Forgive me father it is 2 weeks since my last confession. In fact it seems to have taken ages to make any progress worth reporting but had a bit of a push to get something visible this week.

Layout time over the last couple of weeks has mainly been spent on getting some substance into the backscene. The previous post showed the skeleton of a factory building and it's this and an extension to it that I've been working on. These two buildings will be "Bent and Twisted Springs Ltd." (I think!).

Here's some shots showing the buildings in place. I spent most of yesterday trying desperately to get a reasonably convincing 5 foot run on chainlink fencing in place. Now I understand why so few layouts have truly convincing fences. Arghhhh!!!!!!

First up a view of the factory complex from the road overbridge behind the fueling point.

A view from the other direction which shows how a "nice" flat roof extension has been added to the slightly more grand original building. Pretty strange architecture I have to say...

This shot shows just how narrow the actual area these buildings sit on is. Really not much scope for anything great. Originally I hadn't planned on running a double-track through line so there would have been more space a consequently the buildings could have been more impressive.

You can see I've been playing with scenery materials to try and get an overgrown feel to this with ivy running up the walls and along the fencing and plenty of scrubby bushes etc. The white blobs visible are PVA that hasn't dried yet so I'll have to wait to see how it looks when things have set. I have a feeling the colours are too strong and may have to be toned down somehow.

Just for the heck of it here is a trio of shots with a 56 and a couple of hoppers sat at the down main signal to get some idea of the scale of things. Still far too much to do. :(

Cheers
Dave

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Superb work once again Dave! I love the back scene with the buildings! :wink:

I love the fencing and the bushes!

waldron

Postby waldron » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:33 pm

this is really starting to look good! cant wait to see the finished item!

A++ from ME

G

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”