Cramdin Yard

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
lmsrail

Re: Cramdin Yard

Postby lmsrail » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:05 pm

Amazing point levers youve made up there!
That lazy bugger should hurry up and re-fuel, there could be a huge line of locos waiting behind it :D
Regards, Jed

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Fantastic photo's, always a great pleasure to see your updates, thanks.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:04 pm

lmsrail wrote:Amazing point levers youve made up there!
That lazy bugger should hurry up and re-fuel, there could be a huge line of locos waiting behind it :D

I wouldn't go interupting a union negotiated tea break!

The layout is looking amazing
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

ElDavo

Cramdin Yard - Boxing

Postby ElDavo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:35 pm

Over the past few weeks I have only really tinkered with bits and pieces of scenic work. So, this weekend, as part of the on-going work to make Cramdin transportable I roused myself to get on with some fairly boring necessities. The baseboards are now rigid enough for transportation but one of the big problems of transporting a layout is protecting the scenery, it's all so delicate. Event with the greatest care things get crunched unless you take care to protect them.

I've also noticed that, living in the garage, the layout is getting dusty! I need a way to cover it and uncover it quickly and easily. So my aim was to build a cover that could be used at home when the layout is stored and for transportation. There are many ways of accomplishing this but in my case I decided to try the approach of having a hinged two section cover that also doubles as a facia. I've seen this used on a number of layouts at exhibitions with varying degrees of success (visually that is) so until the job is complete I won't know whether this will be good enough or not.

So after hacking ply and MDF sheets and 21x21mm softwood around I have something that folds to protect the layout. My woodworking (I wouldn't go as far as to say carpentry) skills are basic at best so this is never going to be a work of art! I now get some rather strange looks from passers by if the garage door is open. :shock:

At least SWMBO won't have to spend money if I drop dead tomorrow as Cramdin is 6ft 3in which is more than big enough for me! Unfolded the cover comes to around 2 inches from the floor which is pretty much ideal and things don't look quite so strange.

I aim to do the same for the fiddleyard and to paint them eventually. I'll wait until they are painted to decide whether I am happy with the effect when open. Folded it certainly will do the job.

Cheers
Dave

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:58 pm

I hope you've got a truss ready :lol: it looks heavy
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

ElDavo

Cramdin Yard - Lights, camera, action

Postby ElDavo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:34 pm

Ok, well maybe not action but definitely lights and there is a camera involved. Over the last week I have just about completed the last of the heavy engineering required to make Cramdin exhibitable. A few licks of paint required here and there and some adjustments to how the control panel attachs are still required but otherwise pretty much done.

So this week I have added hinged transport covers to the fiddle yard to match the main board and these and the main board covers have had an initial coat of matt black. They don't look too bad so with the odd bit of filler and another splash of paint they may well do the trick. Also I've added a lighting pelmet to give an even level of lighting across the board. I've seen one or two layouts really suffer when they've been exiled to a hall with poor lighting, or sometimes worse, odd coloured lighting. The pelmet has a couple of B&Q lightweight flourescent fixtures that are actually hanging forward of the baseboard front.

The pelmet is now in pieces and has been give a coat of primer as a start. Before taking everything apart I took a couple of shots of the layout using just its own lighting. Here's a shot of my favourite 37 positioned pretty much right at the front of the board. Not too much shadow at all. :)

These two buildings are literally on the front edge of the board and are really an extreme test for the pelmet lighting. They are only just about illuminated adequately.

Finally a shot across the board. No shadows on the backscene so I think we are in business.

Now to look in the cupbaord and see what paint colours I have for the pelmet. On the other hand I could just slop some black on it like everything else. Very Goth!

Cheers
Dave

Thunderbird

Postby Thunderbird » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:06 am

I like the idea of the funny looks you get when the garage door is open, I can imagine the "curtain twitchers" getting all excited when you are transporting the layout into the back of a van at 6 in the morning. "He's only gone and bumped his wife off!, Is her head in the small coffin?"

for the front. I think it would look good with a few photos of the build process, like the ones you have posted for us.
Manager of the Famous under-achieving Lawton Rovers (NRM xperteleven div2)

Plans are now afoot for the 2nd relocation and resumtion for my N gauge layout Lawton Road..

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:49 am

When's all said and done, I would quite happily pay to look at your layout. Fact.

Great photos, well done.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:46 pm

Loving the lights, the EWS 37 looks so realistic :wink:
Regards, Jed

ElDavo

Cramdin Yard - All dressed up

Postby ElDavo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:50 pm

A lick of paint here and there, well actually several and things are looking a little more shipshape. I'm just about done with sorting out staging, transport and lights so I'm on to messing around cleaning up a few messy bits and sorting some stock out for a photoshoot. Here's the layout as it looks after this weeks efforts.

Cheers
Dave

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:55 am

Looks just...AMAZING!
Is that a vinly sticker you got for the name?
Regards, Jed

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:21 am

lmsrail wrote:...Is that a vinly sticker you got for the name?

Nope, Just paint on a bit of MDF. :)

Cheers
Dave

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:58 pm

That looks well good. looks like it be easy to transport once broken down and easy to put up. you just got to decide where ya going to show it off!!

ElDavo

Cramdin Yard - Messin' up a few wagons

Postby ElDavo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:44 pm

This evening I decided it was far too wet damp and cold to go messing with the layout so definitely a case for meddling with things on the kitchen table. I have a bunch of wagons that I've acquired over the last few months at various shows and from fleabay so this evening I decide to weather 4 of them up. I felt that some serious rust was in order. Being awfully organised I even took before and after shots!

A battered Loadhaul MKA...

A rather abused grey limpet...

Another limpet in Dutch that isn't fairing much better...

FInally an EWS MTA that is in rather better condition.

Cheers
Dave

Thunderbird

Postby Thunderbird » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:05 am

I'm beginning to think that someone is pulling a fast one here.

Photoshopping model railway couplings on to pictures of the real thing.....shame on you

excellent work as usual, would take me about a month to get just one of them looking half as good.

thanks for sharing your work with us
Manager of the Famous under-achieving Lawton Rovers (NRM xperteleven div2)

Plans are now afoot for the 2nd relocation and resumtion for my N gauge layout Lawton Road..

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”