Cramdin Yard

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
slackbladder

Re: Cramdin Yard

Postby slackbladder » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Great pic Dave from a great layout. I think the 70's will gradually grow on people. I imagine its a good powerful and good running model. Probably pull just about everything you could hang on it.
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

Julia

Postby Julia » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:00 am

Saw this layout in the flesh today at Tonbridge, it looked really impressive, and much bigger in real life than I thought it was from the pictures here.

Cracking layout.

J

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:51 pm

We had a good, if long, day out to Tonbridge yesterday. Cramdin behaved itself most of the time though there was a problem with the track alignment at baseboard joints that I need to investigate. One or two items of stock misbehaved (par for the course) including the 70. It has a homebrew sound project on a Digitrax SDH164 chip and sounds OK but for some reason it decides not to move from time to time. If I reset the chip to defaults or reprogram a CV it wakes up again and is fine. Take it off the track and replace it and it won't move. Grrr!

The 70 was sat in a siding ticking over all day and certainly sparked plenty of interest and discussion. The story was that the only crew passed to drive it were on a meal break so it couldn't be moved! I'm surprised its intermittent farty noises as the brake pressure released didn't drive folks on the next layout barmy. Interestingly although the thing had been sat there from 9.30 till 5 it was still cool as a cucumber compared to the locos with Loksound chips which were their normal bloomin' hot.

Ho hum two weeks to get the niggles sorted before two days at the Romsey show.

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:37 pm

Been sorting out a few layout and rollingstock niggles in preparation for an outing to Romsey exhibition next weekend. A bit of testing is a good excuse for a green diesel day. OK maybe not the sort of green diesels that some would appreciate.

The Ugly Betty has had more work done on it's DCC decoder programming and now works quite well. A few more tweaks needed but I am learning how to program the Digitrax decoders mostly through trial and error as there basically isn't any documentation. At least it now moves which is the major thing it wouldn't do at the Tonbridge show! It also has brake release and brake squeal effects programmed in and I've improved the idle and running sounds. Still not happy with the speaker installation so may well order another type to try. Here she is hauling a couple of hoppers into the yard.

After uncoupling from the wagons the 70 is parked up at the far end of the reception road. Perhaps the green will act as camoflage among the weeds...

One of the resident Gronks then ambles in and picks off the wagons and shuffles them around the yard. I've always had problems with these long hopper wagons at shows mostly due to the fact that the bogeys were butchered as part of a coupling experiment. The bogeys and couplings have been replaced today and now they seem to behave themselves better. Whether they behave well enough is yet to be seen. The new bogeys and shiny wheels have subsequently been weathered.

Whatever needed doing to the wagons in the maintenance shed didn't take long as they are soon remarshalled on the departure road and Fred Ned 66532 has been coupled up ready for departure. Even the passenger trains are green as evidenced by a 158 passing by.

With the 66 and wagons gone the 70 is released and can come on to the fueling point. Here she is sharing the oil with one of Freightliner's oldest members. This is a Bachmann 08 I have had laying around in a box for months. I acquired it secondhand and gave it some TLC and a quick(!) weathering job prior to the Tonbridge show to act as a spare. In fact it was used all day and ran pretty well.

Back up in the stabling point is an ageing Body Snatcher. The driver seems ready to go but as there is no work to do he could have a long wait!

Cheers
Dave

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Fantastic pics, awesome modelling.
Great work Dave

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi Dave

Fantastic pictures as ever. Looks simply stunning with the "Green Diesels: The Next Generation" on show! :lol:

Cheers mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Everard Junction

Postby Everard Junction » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Great stuff, i've followed this thread for a long time and I have to say your work is amazing.

Keep up the good work :)
A model railway is never finished, thats why you start one.

Find me on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/user/EverardJunction

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:57 pm

This one seems to be even more realistic every time I look at it! Even with Ugly Betty this layout looks great!!

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

A piccy just for the heck of it. Cramdin was out this weekend at the Romsey exhibition and happened to be set up by a window. Here a couple of the resident Gronks sit waiting for the next job, or was that waiting to go home, as the afternoon sun drops towards the horizon.

Cheers
Dave

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:36 am

Hi Dave,

I must say that is a stunning photo. It's amazing how realistic a photograph of a layout can look when you have got it in the sunshine. The fact that you have got long shadows cast across the board just adds something to the whole atmosphere of this layout. It certainly gives stock to the idea of getting some sun-lamps up in the loft for The Bridge. Those neons just wont cut it!

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

tuxychuff

Postby tuxychuff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Who said you were allowed to be good at modeling & photography?! :D

Julia

Postby Julia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:45 pm

I am curious about the track you used on Cramdin Yard, I notice from earlier posts that you are using SMP track, are you using the copper clad point kits, or the plastic based kits? What did you use for the plain track?

J

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:53 am

Julia wrote:I am curious about the track you used on Cramdin Yard, I notice from earlier posts that you are using SMP track, are you using the copper clad point kits, or the plastic based kits? What did you use for the plain track?

J

Plain track is SMP code 75 bullhead flexitrack. The pointwork on the main 6ft scenic section was all built from SMP copperclad kits while the 3 points at the extreme right, by the fuel tanks, were built using custom templates generated using Trax2 software.

Cheers
Dave

BluePullman21

Postby BluePullman21 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi Dave,

Love the Class 70 8) :shock:

How big is Cramdin Yard now with the extensions?

Cheers
William

champion

Postby champion » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:22 am

Another layout crammed full of lifelike detail and i must say the model class 70 looks better than the real thing.Well done and look forward to more.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”