Cramdin Yard

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ElDavo

Cramdin Yard - NOT appearing at the MidHants 6th/7th Februar

Postby ElDavo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:13 am

My apologies to anyone who was thinking of venturing to the MidHants Railway (Watercress Line) this weekend, 6th and 7th of February. Due to changes in venues and arrangements Cramdin Yard will not be on display.

Cheers
Dave

m.levin

Re: Cramdin Yard

Postby m.levin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:50 pm

ElDavo wrote:
Northants PC wrote:... How easy is it for a complete beginnner to contruct track and pointwork? and is it easy to DCC wire points wise? ...

Building pointwork for OO really isn't difficult though it may take a bit of practice to get a uniformity of standards. Some patience, a few small files, a soldering iron and some multicore electrical solder is all you really need. If you search on somewhere like RMWeb (I know it's a scary place!) you will find several examples of illustrated tutorials of pointwork construction using copperclad sleepers. This is probably the easiest route though you can also use C&L plastic chairs and plastic/wood sleepers. Most people start with an SMP point kit or two (Google is your friend) which gives you all the rail and sleepers you need plus a paper template, instructions and a basic rail/flangeway gauge.

Wiring these things is really no different from a standard live frog point. You wire wire one stock rail to each DC/DCC cable and switch the supply to the frog using a separate switch or one built into the point motor. Just as you would a Peco live frog point. There is no difference between DC and DCC if you wire them as a live frog point.

Cheers
Dave

I agree with Dave, 100%.
It is idea to know the fundamentals of a points and how they work, also get the right tools for the job.
I use the C&L finescale plastic chairs with point kits and maybe some scratch built points. this route A soldering iron is only needed for droppers.
I would recommend next time down at the local model shop or show look out for a point kit and give it a go. from this you can deicide if you wish to take the hand built track route.

ElDavo

Cramdin Yard - North fiddleyard progress

Postby ElDavo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:22 pm

Finding myself with a free weekend and no SWMBO at home I thought I better get on with something. A short break to go and look at trains and drink beer in Alton with the gang of five but otherwise pretty much undisturbed modelling time.

A few things have changed in teh new extension. Backscene has had a dab of paint, track has been weathered and rusted (a couple of times), Chinchilla grit has been liberally sprinkled on to PVA to give some ground texture, bufferstops have been installed, hanging basket liner has been glued on in places to give some rough foliage ground cover, static grass has been puffed about and a hedge has been created using lichen. That's probably about it. Oh and a couple of fuel storage tanks have been built from a Knightwing kit. That's the first structure on the layout that hasn't been scratch built but I couldn't face faffing with the railings and pipework required.

Here's an overview shot. It's not really very big at all.

The storage tanks are a bit bigger than I really intended but I think I can make them fit. They've just been stuck together with solvent and then given a blast of Halfords grey primer so far and are just plonked down to get a feel for things. Unfortunately that bufferstop is going to have to be lifted and moved further back as the siding is now too short to comfortably fit two TTAs.

Looking the other way you can see a fair bit of wet PVA in evidence and it's becoming clear that the weedkilling train doesn't get near these sidings. The bufferstops are all Peco jobbies messed about with.

It's unfortunate the sidings aren't longer as they look fine when they are empty but not so good when things are parked up. Here's a shot of a Gronk pushing a TTA around, it's in the headshunt having pulled the tanker out of the kick-back fuel offload siding.

Can't resist playing to see what photo opportunities are opened up by this extension. Here's a different angle.

That Gronk again!

Finally one of the mucky tractors that inhabit Cramdin yard parked up in the stabling sidings.

I now need to summon up the courage to take a saw to the backscene of the original section to open up the view down the layout!

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:24 pm

OK a bunch of folks yesterday visited Cramdin and gave me useful advice like "have you got a circular saw", "hand me that jigsaw", "it's only a bit of MDF" and other gems. So I finally summoned up the courage and performed surgery on the backscene of the original part of the layout to open up the view onto the new extension. Five minutes with a pad saw and a craft knife and...

... it seems OK. No damage done and everything cleaned up. Scary bit overwith I took a couple more shots of the new view and am now off for a lie down in a darkened room. It's quite pleasing that you can see over the fueling point, across the bridge and just see the end of the new sidings. The telephoto doesn't flatter my track laying!

It does rather leave the road overbridge hanging in mid-air but I guess you can't have everything. From a slightly different angle....

Finally the view from the extension back clearly showing the next challenge on the list.

I've also ripped up the fuel unloading siding bufferstop and dropped in 3 more sleepers and a couple of small bits of rail. Hopefully this will give a more usable length siding.

I think it's time for a sit down with a glass of something now. The sun must be below the yardarm somewhere by now.

Cheers
Dave

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:24 pm

Looking good as always, I'm wondering what the next project will be, but I guess thoughts of that nature should wait until at least the end of the show season, eh? :wink:

Graham Warren

Postby Graham Warren » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:43 am

How the heck do you get everything to look so real ? :lol:

Fantastic layout ! The latest extension is great !

I always look forward to your updates !

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Been working most of the weekend on the trainset though there is not an awful lot of visible progress. Boring things like painting the cover panels and lighting gantry had to be done. Over the week the fuel storage tanks and gubbins have been weathered and installed in a brick and concrete burm. The environment folks wouldn't let me just slap down a couple of tanks with no leak protection!

Still need to sort out the discharge pipework and gear which I'll have to scratchbuild. Already on version two of how this will be arranged having ripped up version 1!

The other significant piee of work that had to be tackled was modeling the second side of the scenic break bridge. As this was originally the end of the layout I didn't model both sides surprisingly enough. The original side was built with Linka plaster castings but I couldn't be faffed with that again so bodged something up with plasticard. Much quicker and for me better results. On the assumption that no one can see both sides of the bridge at the same time I think I'll get away with the differences. This has all been given a slop of paint since the photo was taken.

I've also sorted the entry road tracks to the fiddleyard and cassettes that sit behind this area, twice! Again a mark I version bit the dust as it didn't work!

Also can't resist the temptation to take shots of locos in the overgrown sidings. These should probably be under the gratuitous loco shot thread but...

Here's Windsor Castle abandoned in the yard.

Pleasingly even though the rearmost track is only a smidge away from the backscene the lighting copes with it and I don't get any significant shadows. Here's a shed to show what I mean. This one is actually a bit of a pain and will be stripped down and checked out as it is misbehaving over pointwork. I spent an hour or two adjusting track to try and make it happy but no go.

Lots more to do yet.

Cheers
Dave

Graham Warren

Postby Graham Warren » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:10 pm

I like the way you call this a trainset :lol:

Trainset.....no !

Masterpiece......yes !

Great pictures once again :wink:

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:33 pm

More progress. The fuel storage point has had a bit more titivation and now is starting to look a little more "planted" ...

... the overbridge has a had a bit more paint applied...

.. and the approach tracks into the fiddleyard have been laid and wired.

The above shot shows something of an experiment fitted into the cassette slots. This is a Superbodgeamation MK I up/down cassette-o-matic. Basically a 2 entry road cassette with a crude Y point with one switch feeding some aluminium tracks.

This is Cramdin's answer to the bored operator syndrome that occurs at 2 o'clock on a Sunday afternoon when nobody can be bothered to run more than one train because it requires changing cassettes. With this a passenger train can run on the up line into the fiddleyard, here's a 153 with the little-known broken snowplow option...

The operator waits for the gentle thud as it hits the end of the fiddleyard then zeros the controls. At some point in the future the operator reverses the control and lo and behold the train reappears heading along the down line. No point switching required as the Y point in the up/down cassette-o-matic is sprung to the outgoing position.

Lazy or what. Saves the hike to the end of the layout (10 feet) and a change of cassette. The cassette can take up to a 2 car unit, such as a 158, or a loco and the 153.

Cheers
Dave

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:46 pm

Brilliant work Dave!
I still get excited when i see an update on this thread :wink:
Regards, Jed

rebeltrucker

Postby rebeltrucker » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Dammit dammit dammit.

Here's me, quite happy in my own little world, and part way through building my first layout in years. Nice lil continuous run with fiddly bits to keep it interesting. Simples.
Erm No. Ive now found this thread and become inspired. Back to the drawing board it is then!

Damn you!

(PS...STUNNING work. Love it).
Occasional Crank

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:07 pm

I've certainly missed a lot Dave, it's been great catching up with the thread. This layout really is a masterpiece, there's something special about the run down derelict feel this layout has. I look forward to future updates.

Kindest Regards.

villan

Postby villan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:50 pm

The grass around the tracks looks great. Some real good scenery work.

I may have missed somewhere in the thread, but what did use for the grass and how did you lay it?
Life is good; live it to the full :wink:

See my layout at http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13205 - comments welcomed

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:16 am

villan wrote:... I may have missed somewhere in the thread, but what did use for the grass and how did you lay it?

The grass is a variety of stuff. The rougher areas are hanging basket liner teased out and stuck down using PVA. Lighter grass areas, such as the front area of the most recent extension, are static grass applied with a "puffer" bottle to wet PVA glue. Most areas are a mixture of at least two kinds of something and I have used old fashioned flock in places to give a different texture.

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Cramdin sits fully rigged but stock-free after a mega cleaning session prior to loading into the car for the trip up the road to Basingstoke and it's maiden outing.

I could be loading it in the car now rather than fiddling on the forums except that it's currently pouring with rain and the paint is still wet!

Ho hum, time to clean some wheels.

Cheers
Dave

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”