Cramdin Yard

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Fifey

Re: Cramdin Yard

Postby Fifey » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:33 am

ElDavo wrote:
Fifey wrote:Erm, Sea foam?

It's a plant twigs of which look very much like miniature trees and you can use them as the basic branch structure.

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=692

Cheers
Dave

Yes, a plant. Of course it is! :lol:

The new module's construction is confidence inspiring. I must give it a go!

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Dave, this thread is truely inspiring, (I've just spent 3 hrs reading through it all,) for someone who hadn't done any railway modelling for 30 years before this I'm really fired up to have a go myself now.

I love that traverser, have you considered making and selling them at all? I'm sure that it could be made worthwhile if you knocked them out to work on a 3 way switch, (up to go to the back, centre for stop and down to go forward). They wouldn't need to be decorated, just the mechanism and basic bridge would be sufficient, leaving the buyer to add scenic details.

I think that final board should maybe house a proper TMD as the repair shed isn't really being used as intended with all those locos in the way. :lol:

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:48 pm

I wish I have more room for another board...
All the possibilities of scenic modelling :P :lol:

Regards
Lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Yesterdays progress. The extension only has 3 turnouts but it seemed to take most of the day to build 'em. First up the tedious bit, stick the template to a bit of board then layout the timbers. I've used Pritt stick to tack the sleepers to the template. It was only after I had finished this that the wife helpfully pointed out that I was using extra strong glue!

The template is not an exotic affair being created using Trax2 rather than the more sophisticated Templot. The are this all fits in is pretty small so they are not quite bog standard turnouts. All three are A5.5 geometry which I hope equates to a tad over 3 foot radius. As I had to make 3 I knocked together a crossing vee jig from a couple of bits of cardboard.

Two of the turnouts have sort of been interlaced/squashed together to save space. They are not quite a Barry slip but close. No idea whether this is prototypical but it seems to work in OO! Half past nine in the evening and the rails are finally all in place.

Thankfully the track lifted off the template quite easily with the application of a wallpaper scraper. Today I managed to get all the track laid on the new baseboard. Next up will be tiebars, point motors and wiring. Here's a general view.

I didn't have quite as much SMP flexi as I thought, must have used it at the other end, so I had to knock up a bit of plain track to fill in. All whacked down with Evostick to hold it until the ballasting locks it down for good.

There's quite a lot of track in this small space so I will avoid putting in too many buildings and try and give it an open siding area feel. I know what I mean even if nobody else does! The TTA tanker is sat on a short kick-back siding where I plan to have a fuel off loading point with a couple of storage tanks separating it from the line behind (probably). Not a very original concept but it's what is in mind at the moment.

Looking the other way there are a couple of basic sidings which will be used for loco or wagon stabling. Currently there is nowhere to store a loco apart from the fueling point so this will provide more options and allow more of the toys to be on display.

The line at the back is an extension to the arrivals/departure road and will probably be fairly overgrown with a few battered engineers wagons dumped in it (maybe).

Plenty to do yet.

Cheers
Dave

hiray

Postby hiray » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:06 am

ElDavo wrote: the first outing for the layout is in March so plenty of time.
Dave

i hope that this outing in march is ally pally so i can get a chance to see this in all its wonder, i have had many double take moments looking through this thread, if i can acheive results half as good as yours when i finaly start building my layout i will be extatic.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:57 am

hiray wrote:i hope that this outing in march is ally pally so i can get a chance to see this in all its wonder...

Nothing as grand as Ally Pally I'm afraid. The short version of the layout will be at Alresford goods shed on the MidHants Railway on 6/7th February then the whole shooting match will be at Basingstoke exhibition on 13/14th March. After that it will be at the Kernow/YMR exhibition in September.

Cheers
Dave

sishades

Postby sishades » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:18 am

How does home made track compare to ready made track in terms of cost and running quality?
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 am

sishades wrote:How does home made track compare to ready made track in terms of cost and running quality?

I can't give you a definitive answer in terms of cost but the raw materials aren't expensive. The track will run as well as you make it run. If you take a little care you should have no problems with running. Given that you are building it yourself you also have the option of using whatever standards you like and can make minor adjustments along the way. In my case the pointwork is not created to exactly OO standards but has the gauge slightly squeezed to less than 16.5mm to allow me to reduce the flangeway gaps for improved appearance. You can't do that with Peco points.

Cheers
Dave

josh993

Postby josh993 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:03 pm

sishades wrote:How does home made track compare to ready made track in terms of cost and running quality?

A copperclad turnout, including a tie bar will cost you around £3 per point - This is if you are making your own V and switch blades.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:01 pm

Bit more progress. All 3 points are now wired and operational, or at least they were before I attacked the board with some spray cans this afternoon! The black paint has been splashed about a bit to start to finish things off while paint on the track is drying.

The track has been given a spray of Halfords red oxide acrylic primer followed by a hefty squirt of Halfords Rover Russet brown to give the sleepers some colour. Getting a good coverage of the copperclad can be a challenge.

Prior to painting the copperclad gaps were given a thin scrape of Yellow/Grey Milliput. I didn't take too much care with this as all you need to do (IMHO) is disguise the gaps. They only really stand out to the eye if they are obviously regular. Here's a fairly close up shot so you can see the effect. It's a bit of a toffee colour mess as the paint is still wet and a bit glossy. The gloss will disappear with a bit of ballast and weathering (I hope).

The gaps are still visible in places if you care to look hard enough. You need to leave something for the anorak and backpack expert brigade to comment on otherwise they'll feel deprived.

Here's a shot of the interleaved turnouts. Now which pillock was sanding down some primed timber "after" spray painting the track? It just adds to the texture.

Amazing how the proportions of the track are suddenly enhanced when you paint the side of the rails. After ballasting I will slop some different rust colours on the rails and pseudo chairs but this should be a good solid base when it dries.

Should be up for assembling the beast and a bit of "testing" tomorrow.

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:32 pm

More progress today. Track is down and wired so it has to be tested! All appears to run pretty much OK. One class 66 took offence to one of the points but I think that is a loco problem that needs investigating. Here's a shot of some of the fleet checking out the new stabling area. Not a lot of space.

No time to waste so I cracked on with the ballasting. Tedious job as we all know but a couple of hours work and quite a lot of Klear floor polish later and it's all done. Cleaning up to be done when all is good and set along with the inevitable unsticking of the points.

Day off to play trains at Bristol tomorrow so no progress.

Cheers
Dave

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:02 am

I love the new trackwork Dave. Tell me, do you make your own point blades too? And if so, how do you go about it?

Cheers,
Gavin

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:16 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:... Tell me, do you make your own point blades too? And if so, how do you go about it? ...

Sure, points and crossings are made from standard rail. No real magic, I just use a small flat file and shape them against a plane block of wood/chipboard,whatever comes to hand. I did make a very basic 1 in 5.5 template out of cardboard for these 3 points as they are all the same. The blades are just formed by eye by filing away the surface that meets the stock rail till it is flat and you are almost through the width of the head of the rail. Then a few strokes on the inside face of the rail head to add the final point and perhaps the slightest touch to round the upper point corner.

Cheers
Dave

Northants PC

Postby Northants PC » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 pm

This layout is fantastic ! Seeing the new board take shape is excellent, Im toying with the idea of building my own track after seeing the excellent standards you've set with Cramdin Yard.

How easy is it for a complete beginnner to contruct track and pointwork? and is it easy to DCC wire points wise?.

Cheers.

Northants PC.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:01 pm

Northants PC wrote:... How easy is it for a complete beginnner to contruct track and pointwork? and is it easy to DCC wire points wise? ...

Building pointwork for OO really isn't difficult though it may take a bit of practice to get a uniformity of standards. Some patience, a few small files, a soldering iron and some multicore electrical solder is all you really need. If you search on somewhere like RMWeb (I know it's a scary place!) you will find several examples of illustrated tutorials of pointwork construction using copperclad sleepers. This is probably the easiest route though you can also use C&L plastic chairs and plastic/wood sleepers. Most people start with an SMP point kit or two (Google is your friend) which gives you all the rail and sleepers you need plus a paper template, instructions and a basic rail/flangeway gauge.

Wiring these things is really no different from a standard live frog point. You wire wire one stock rail to each DC/DCC cable and switch the supply to the frog using a separate switch or one built into the point motor. Just as you would a Peco live frog point. There is no difference between DC and DCC if you wire them as a live frog point.

Cheers
Dave

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”