Cramdin Yard

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ElDavo

Cramdin Yard - Ploughing on

Postby ElDavo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:12 pm

As per usual instead of tackling the things that actually need doing on the layout I've been distracted by other toys. This is the latest acquisition that screamed "buy me" at Ally Pally. No idea why I need another 37 but I've got one. Rather than turn it out as Bachmann intended with the Ty Hafan nameplates I thought I would tweak it about a bit. In 2004 this beast inherited the name from 37413 and became "The Scottish Railway Preservation Society", sounds much grander and so some Fox's plates were duly acquired. The shot here shows the loco largely as she came out of the box apart from the new nameplates and a touch of paint on the headcode boxes, horns and buffers. She will be weathered eventually so this is just a start.

Looking at pictures the loco sported snow ploughs during this period but Bachmann don't supply them with this model. So being my normal impatient self rather than waiting and getting some Baccy bits I dug out some scrap brass and thought I would have a go at fashioning some myself. Here's a "sort of" completed one alongside a blank shape. There are a surprising number of bends in these things when you look closely. I could have done a better job with the bending! The photographs I have seen of the loco show the middle plough missing (on one end at least) so I have omitted to make that bit.

Some odd bits of brass wire were soldered to the back and the whole kit and kaboodle fixed to the bogey with trusty super glue. Slop on a bit of primer then on with some yellow paint and let's see what we have.

The yellow is not the right shade and is also still wet in the last shot but given that pretty much every shot I have seen of a 37 with ploughs shows them being a filthy brown colour, I don't think this will matter once they are weathered. Seeing them on the loco they are a little too small but the upside of that is they give a little more track clearance and don't foul anything on the layout which is an improvement over the standard baccy fittings. The jury is still out but we'll wait and see what they look like with some muck on before any decisions to bin them are taken. :)

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Cramdin Yard - Packing it in

Postby ElDavo » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:27 pm

No I'm not, just packing the layout into to the car for its first time away from home. The layout is having a little excursion to the RMWeb SWAG day in Taunton tomorrow which will be a good test of whether it's actually up to being exhibited.

It all fits in the car although there seems an awful lot for a small layout. Now will it work when it's all unpacked at the other end? :?

Cheers
Dave

sheep21

Re: Cramdin Yard

Postby sheep21 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:23 pm

Good luck with the exhibition mate, hope it all works at the other end!

davek

Postby davek » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:29 pm

How did the exhibition go Dave?

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:33 pm

LOL, beat me to it ;)

It's OK Dave, just answer the question once :lol:

It does look frigging excellent all packed up there by the way mate 8)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

ElDavo

Cramdin Yard - Home again

Postby ElDavo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:40 am

Well I have to say I am quite chuffed. Having loaded the layout into the car on Saturday with a certain amount of trepidation, Sunday trurned out to be an excellent day. I had the assistance of my mate PhilH from RMWeb who is also a fellow member of the Winchester Railway Modellers and we had a nice smooth run down to Taunton and had the layout unloaded, up and running in under 40 minutes. Plenty of time for several cups of coffee before viewers arrived.

The outing was to an RMWeb South West Area Group (SWAG) members day so there were no paying punters but just a large bunch of like-minded folks. These days are real fun and much more relaxed than a normal exhibition. Folks muck in and are welcome to have a go driving the trains or running their own pride an joy on other folks layouts. During the day Cramdin was visited by a sound equipped Bullied pacific and several sound equipped American diesels complete with box cars and caboose! The relaxed atmosphere was an ideal testbed for an untried layout and of course there were no shortage of experts available to help if I had run into problems.

Overall the layout operated almost perfectly. Had to clear out a stubborn particle of ballast that had got its way between some point blades and one loco decided to have an off day so that was relegated to the stock box. Other than that everything worked for 6 hours! At the end of the day we had the layout torn down and packed in the car in 20 minutes and were on our way home in less than half an hour.

I reassembled the layout on my own at home on Monday evening and it's all still working faultlessly. I have one or two little things to improve on the transport and packing front but otherwise I am a very happy bunny. I think it might be time to look for shows to attend. :)

Cheers
Dave

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon May 04, 2009 9:54 am

good to hear it worked well once reassembled!

its bound to be a bit of a worry when transporting it,

love this layout, i get so much inspiration from it!

hammy

philgor

Re: Cramdin Yard in model rail (future) 132

Postby philgor » Wed May 27, 2009 10:44 pm

congradulations on getting this amazing layout in to the next issue of model rail (no132 on sale 18th june) it'll be the first artical i read when i get the issue :D

philgor

Thunderbird

Postby Thunderbird » Thu May 28, 2009 8:25 am

I'll second the congrats.

I've just read (well skimmed really) through the whole tread and from Oct 07 when the first bits of track got laid to getting published in May 09, is some serious work. especially when you've done so much detail work. I have to say that some of the pictures I had to look at more than once to find the "tell tails" of a model.

Thank you for sharing one of the best layouts i've ever seen with us, and thank you for all the inspiration that Cramdin Yard has provided us with. With luck I will get to see it in the flesh.

cheers

Thunderbird
aka
John
Manager of the Famous under-achieving Lawton Rovers (NRM xperteleven div2)

Plans are now afoot for the 2nd relocation and resumtion for my N gauge layout Lawton Road..

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Thu May 28, 2009 10:28 am

:oops: :oops: Thanks for the kind words folks. I knew that Cramdin was pencilled in for the July issue but I guess that's been confirmed now. :D

Cheers
Dave

mmurnin900

Postby mmurnin900 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:47 am

Well Done on the model rail inclusion.

Did you really name it after "crammed in"?

Or have they got it all wrong.
Matthew
LFC We've still got 5

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:02 pm

mmurnin900 wrote:...Did you really name it after "crammed in"?

Or have they got it all wrong.

Well it was originally designed to fit in a fairly small space and there is quite a lot of track and stuff on a small baseboard, so.....

Cheers
Dave

mmurnin900

Postby mmurnin900 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:07 am

Some RMwebbers will tear you to threads on that. I didn't notice untill i read it in the mag.
Matthew

LFC We've still got 5

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:45 am

mmurnin900 wrote:Some RMwebbers will tear you to threads on that. I didn't notice untill i read it in the mag.

Nah, I think you are unfairly tarring them all with the same brush. There are a lot of great folks over on RMWeb and nobody who is worth listening to will tear anyone to shreds, especially over something like a layout name. Besides, Cramdin has been on RMWeb for a long time now and I have had nothing but constructive criticism and ideas. Believe me they are not all out to get you. :)

Cheers
Dave

mmurnin900

Postby mmurnin900 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:11 pm

Not a bad slant at Rmweb that one. Read through the
10 things that annoyme about a layout... or words to that effect.

A number of people didn't like the names like that. Some of the examples were comical!
Matthew

LFC We've still got 5

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”