Cramdin Yard

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dead Man's Handle

Re: Cramdin Yard - Just a bit of painting

Postby Dead Man's Handle » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:43 pm

ElDavo wrote:...so have been tinkering with the weathering on 37114. Not entirely happy with it yet but it's getting there.

That is looking extremely impressive so far!

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!

Taw Valley

Re: Cramdin Yard

Postby Taw Valley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:33 pm

sanctuary wrote:I was looking quickly for NRM VE pictures and skip the picture thinking it was a photograph of the real thing, you have done a fanstatic job, it'll look odd having what looks like a real engine in a NRM VE :lol: :lol: :lol:

I must admit , i just went passed that photo as well thinking it was the real thing ,,,,Even going back to look after your comment i still had to look at the text to make sure it wasnt real

all i can say is OMG how amazing is that.

ElDavo

Cramdin Yard - Bit of a travesty

Postby ElDavo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:25 pm

Finally the temperature has risen enough to make working in the garage bearable (almost!) so I ventured out to do some more traverser experiments. For those of an engineering bent who appreciate precision and neatness this is the time to abandon this thread. If you appreciate the the work of Heath Robinson, you'll feel right at home! :shock:

I'm trying to build a wagon traverser for the area of board in front of No.1 fiddleyard. It will have one approach track and 3 or 4 exit roads into another works building. Current ideas are based on using a screw thread and captive nut as the drive mechanism. After rummaging around I came up with an old Triang 0-4-0 chassis, a fence wire tensioner, a couple of brackets and some MDF. From this, with judicious use of the hot glue gun, I was able to mock up something to test the idea.

Here's the first experiment.

It 'aint pretty but the motor turns the threaded shaft OK and with a bit of running (this motor hasn't turned for 35 years!) and some lubrication it will run quite slowly. The motor is coupled to the shaft by engaging the coupling rod securing screw in the loco wheel with a slot in a nut on the end of the shaft. The nut is the wrong thread so I simply tightened it onto the thread till it jammed! High tech or what?

Given that this seems to work I disassembled it all and got out the epoxy to make the assembly rather more permanent. I also broke out the plasticard to build an actuator slider to hold the nut captive. Onto this was epoxied a length of old rail to act as the actuator rod to drive the traverser bridge itself.

This mess was then built into a sub-assembly with the floor of the traverser pit and side walls which is then bolted to the baseboard. It needs to be removable as it is bound to break down! Here's a view of the thing fitted to the underside of the baseboard.

Finally a view from the top (unfortunately out of focus) that shows how the actuator rod (over long at present) emerges into the pit. The traverser bridge itself will sit parallel with the actuator and hide it.

Rather a lot still to do before I can see whether the thing will actually work well enough to be usable but I'm having fun. :)

Cheers
Dave

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:20 pm

bloody hell, one heck of a project on your hands there, good luck with it!

peak

Postby peak » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:37 pm

It's amazing what you can do with all them bits and bobs that you didn't throw away!
You have done a great bit of model engineering there.
I am really looking forward to the progress of this traverser.
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

Danny

Postby Danny » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi Dave

Great work on the traverser mechanism, great little bit of ingenuity there. :P

I'm guessing you will have to keep the thread pretty greased up for continued use.

ElDavo

Cramdin Yard - Pause in engineering works

Postby ElDavo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:31 pm

Having got properly started on the traverser I've now found myself short of a few bits so work has stopped. As per usual that meant I had the paintbrushes out again last night. Messed up a couple of Bachmann PNAs

Here's a shot of them outside on a rather misty damp day:

Another shot of them abandoned in the yard on the layout:

Hopefully I can pick up a few essential bits and pieces at the weekend so traverser work can continue.

Cheers
Dave

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:46 pm

Totally Stunning mate!.

This model never fails to amaze me.

Excellent.

DRS.
Pontypool Road (Western Region) Model Railway - 2009

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:34 pm

Ditto it looks real, even the guy in overalls, this realy does show your how good your modeling skills are.
Last edited by sanctuary on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

TheFreightMaster123

Postby TheFreightMaster123 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:52 pm

sanctuary wrote:Ditto it looks real, even the guy in overalls this realy does show your how good your modeling skills are.

Seconded.
ElDavo you never cease to amaze me! Your trackwork is excellent, your scenery exquisitely constructed and rolling stock beautifuly weathered.
Black-Marlin wrote:My word that looks good!

Seriously, is there any part of this hobby you're not good at?
*jealousy*

Gavin
:D

Yep, constantly ruining his layout and doing things that aren't perfect :wink: :roll:
I want this layout! Give it to meeeeee!!!!! :x :x :lol: :wink:
Cam
Official Wagonaholic
Davidm wrote:Remember, that at our scale of 2mm/ft, 0.1mm is approximately equal to 2”, and a Super Voyager would fly if it hit that at 90 mph.

One of NRM's 2 official Freight masters PM if interested in joining the Freight Crew.

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:27 am

Totally outstanding "WORK OF ART" So much attention applied to detail & artistically applied , Great camera shots of this too.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:48 am

Absolutely amazing work! The traverser is a great idea.

Liam.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5360&p=215267#p215267

Danny

Postby Danny » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:03 pm

Great work.

I like the left over stone which left in the bottom of them, a nice detail to add.

ElDavo

Cramdin Yard - Bricking it

Postby ElDavo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:31 am

I don't seem to have got very much done over the last few weeks. I've been tinkering with a number of detail bits on the main baseboard but haven't really got down to any major works on the traverser. I did have a flurry of activity the other day and managed to get some brick surrounds fitted to the pit and started sorting out the transverse rails. Not a lot to show really. :(

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Been far too cold to venture out into the garage and do any serious engineering on the traverser so have been doing odd bits and pieces and generally titivating the scenics. Knocked up a few point levers of varying types and installed them...

Also been playing with some static grass and other things of which I haven't taken pictures. Doesn't seem to be any rush to re-fuel 37114 judging by the lack of activity in this shot.

Cheers
Dave

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”