Derek's N gauge shelf layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:32 pm

You are making some good progress! 8) The shelf work for the layout is top class and well done with that!

Great work with the buildings and that bridge! :D
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

Derek

Re: Derek's N gauge shelf layout

Postby Derek » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks Chuffer Chuff.

And talking of the bridge, I've managed to make a bit of progress on the river/estuary:

margao

Postby margao » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:59 pm

Derek wrote:Thanks Chuffer Chuff.

And talking of the bridge, I've managed to make a bit of progress on the river/estuary:

Thats really fantastic. Very jealous. Have you used a water effect (e.g. woodland scenics, or Magic Water) or is it just paint at the moment?

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:36 pm

margao, thanks.

The water effect is a navy paint base with several coats of very old varnish over it. The varnish is supposed to be clear (that's what it says on the tin), but it's about 30 years old and is now a yellowy colour. It gives the river/estuary a muddy effect.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:12 pm

Neat :)

You planned: "trains will be controlled by electronic control (made by Heathcote Electronics) to shuttle back and forth along the single line with two sidings at each end" - did this happen ?

The reason I ask is:-
(1) because it's something I've thought could be interesting to do - have trains run automatically. But...
(2) I also thought it could get quite boring and repetitive ...

So I'm curious if you did this and whether it has enhanced your enjoyment or detracted from it?

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi SouthernBoy. Reference the electronic shuttle movement, I haven't got that far yet :) Unfortunately progress has been slow. The above image of the bridge taken the day before yesterday doesn't have the track down.

(1) I think on a larger layout an automatic part would be quite interesting, giving some movement without needing any 'hands-on' attention.

(2) For me this is just a moving diorama. One of the earlier images shows the shelf layout location above my computer station. The idea is to switch it on when I'm at the pc, just let it run and provide some minor entertainment. (I've got one completed N gauge layout and a 3mm layout under construction for playing trains ;))

Hope that helps :)

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:52 am

Hi Derek! :D

Long time no natter! Must say I do like that wee bridge section. I really like the beachy bits at the sides and around the central pillar too. Will you be doing any other major things to this section or is it just a matter of finishing it off and painting things?

Cheers fella, hope you and the other-half are well :)

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:43 am

Hi Tim, good to see you're still around :)

This beachy section is more or less done, just needs a few people on the sand, maybe a couple of fishermen.

Next I'm on to laying the track, and the electrics ...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”