Glenstowe/Port Rosea Layout in N and Nn3 Gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Zunnan

Re: Glenstowe/Port Rosea Layout in N and Nn3 Gauge

Postby Zunnan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:17 pm

kit_friend wrote:Well in my search to find/make a suitable chassis, I purchased a suprisingly cheap HO scale static model to give some better reference for the mechanics. I'm posting stuff here in case anyone wants to suggest how I could construct the chassis (I was going to go the split frame route using 2mm society type parts but I'm not sure how/to what detail to construct it...):

Looking at the wheel spacing, would it not be possible to chop a V2 chassis by removing the leading driver, cutting out the space required to fit a replacement 4 wheel bogie, remove the pony trucks outside frame and modify the valve gear to suit?

kit_friend

Postby kit_friend » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:28 pm

Quite possible... V2 driving wheel spacing looks a little wide though... I think my simplest option might be to cannibalize a tender drive unit from somewhere... I've some spare farish wheels etc that I could cobble into a rolling chassis...

blooregard

Postby blooregard » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:10 pm

Hey dude,

great to see your article in the new N gauge Journal but sadly no mention of your Nn3 loco!
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:48 pm

I have to second blooregards sentiment about the NGS Journal article this issue, it's one thing seeing layouts on the site but seeing them in print is so much more satisfying! :D

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:54 pm

Good article, nice step-by-step progression.
It's quite a jolt to see 14 pages of layout thread distilled into what must be about one A4 side of text (albeit spread over five A5 pages with images).
It's made me think that whilst reading modelling magazines can be a source of inspiration - they only scratch the surface. Following layout threads is a more detailed (and sometimes entertaining) way of learning about layout building and associated activities.

That doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to your follow-up being published :)

kit_friend

Postby kit_friend » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:36 pm

Woohoo just got my copy through. So cool, I can't believe they gave me so much space!

Glad they didn't edit out my thanks to you chaps at NRM also!

Follow up definitely on the cards. Just finished first week of my new job and it's exhausting so I'm not sure how much progress will be made in the coming months. I'm thinking about doing a little side project to plug into Glenstowe on a more manageable scale... Hogsmeade station using the Lyddle End Goatheland buildings!

K

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:51 pm

New job as well :shock:
It's all happening this week ... Good luck!

kit_friend

Postby kit_friend » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:30 pm

Indeed, I have the honour being one of those representing 20,000 of the world's most exciting creatives!:

http://www.suarts.org/

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:11 pm

kit_friend wrote:Indeed, I have the honour being one of those representing 20,000 of the world's most exciting creatives!:
http://www.suarts.org/

Hmmm, just checked the link ... It all looks a bit dodgy to me - the top navigation bar includes HOROSCOPES, SUDOKU, CARTOONS and GAMES.
If I search for 'Kit Friend' the top result is 'Plagiarism' :shock: All-in-all it doesn't exactly have a ring of academia or standards of excellence about it ... :?
(Don't worry - just joking - but is there a sub-link to you on there somewhere?)

kit_friend

Postby kit_friend » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:20 pm

Urgh don't I've spent the past three works trying to negotiate with the web host provider to remove as much of all that business as we can.....

Me at the top here...:http://www.suarts.org/content/index.php?page=13091

Slightly worried about that top search engine result... maybe my employers haven't been telling me something... still the search results further down were correct :-):

http://www.suarts.org/elections/content ... page=21115
http://www.suarts.org/elections/content ... page=21867

Google's finally started to hit me properly as well :D (Well, top 4 links at least)...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sa ... arch&meta=

-

Buoyed up by my publishing debut I'm thinking about what to write about next for the journal! Suggestions welcome...

K

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”