The layout - a start

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:05 am

joshing_man wrote:Very nice work - the details are excellent and make it very realistic. Now I know what I need to buy!

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

Andrew

If you do buy. Can I repeat what I mentioned earlier.

IMHO you need to put curtains on the ground floor as well.

I think the kit comes with enough material. If not let me know I seem to have loads left.

Avoid the white doors provided they look like card in the finished article.

Bryan

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:43 am

mumbles wrote:
Bryan Gundry wrote:Hi Michael

I added the gutters and drain pipes.

The gutters are Plastruct Channel, the drainpipes are steel wire rods from a magazine binder.

They were all sprayed grey.

Now the photos were taken I have noticed that I need to block the end of the gutters and paint them grey

Another job to add to the list.

Bryan

ah, good work
does that mean you staged the picture of the houses in the box? coz it looks like the houses have the drainpipes on them in there! :D
first blue peter fake a naming competetion, now pics on nrm are staged.. whatever next!! :lol:
michael

No Michael

Look carefully at the original state photographs.

What you can see are modern lights. Each terrace has 3 gutters one at each end and in the middle. There is only 2 lights attached to the 14 properties you can see in the preliminary idea. (See photographs 3 and 4)

The actual kit shown on its own (photo 2) is sitting on my shelf at my home/office as I type this.

Its minus its inappropriate light but with guttering added only. It has had its white door removed, an open door positioned in its place with a home owner answering/leaving. Curtains have been placed in the ground floor window, a couple of faces in the windows and an open window on the ground floor.

Once the down pipes are in place and chimneys added I always planned to photograph it again.

A sort of before and after.

What I will do is photograph the terrace off the layout and before I deal with the slight damaged caused by removal of the light.

Or, I can photograph it as is today?

Eventually along with another possible 6 properties (1 and a 1/2 kits) it will make an extension of Church Road (working name Shed Street) at right angles to the existing line of properties, the corner nearest the camera in photographs 3 and 4.

I will save you the Maths. Its 6 kits in total or just over 1.5 metres of terraced property.

Bryan

P S There is no sticky back plastic used in the renovation of these kits :wink:.

No animal was mistreated in taking the photographs. :shock:

Blue Peter indeed ... :twisted: ..... :twisted:

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:36 am

I'm not sure things have to be finished before you can post ictures of them. All I meant was a backscene would complete it, wherether that's today, next week, next year, it doesn't matter, so long as your happy with it.

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:58 am

I am happy with it so far. :)

And, yes I did realise what you meant.

I was just trying to put over my take on these things.

Because of the slope on the roof a backscene is going to be a tricky one.

It will depend whether the eye is drawn to note its absence.

Photographs show a distorted image when compared to what one would see in real life.
Errors of scale, colour, omissions will show up on photographs which you cannot "see" with the naked eye.

Have a good Sunday Dave.

Because its Sunday, this afternoon I will take some pictures of the Church area and post them.

Bryan

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:23 am

Cheers Bryan. Do you have any track down, or even a track plan?

Oh, by the way. I sent Paypal last night, have you received it?

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:03 am

I must admit I always add curtains to all the windows on the terraced house kits I make - I don't know of many homes that wouldn't have them in all windows.

Your street scene looks great - I hope I can do something approaching that quality when I get round to my street scene in the loft.

Chris

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:15 am

I have a track plan :? Not in digital form usable for a forum posting at present.

The inspiration for the current station area is Pontrilas. The junction station for the Golden Valley.

I have used a plan produced by Barry Norman as the basis (see MRJ 84).

The following amendments have been made:

A three way point has been used for the junction with the branch line/loco shunt/mainline to reduce the length by the necessary 10 inches needed for the space available.

A head shunt has been included for use with the goods area to increase the "play" value.

I have completed changed the landscape :shock: :shock:

I am contemplating changing the single industrial siding into a more complex industrial/factory/commercial branch network.

I don't like publishing plans as I tend to make changes as I start modelling. I find that as I go along the physical demands of landscape/building/road usage requires modifications for it to "look right"

A case in point is I have moved one point in the goods area, as by doing so it is possible to deal with a restriction due to the physical characteristics of the loft and hopefully produce an interesting modelling solution. More in time.

I am a great believer in the maxim that rules were made for the guidance of wise men and the observation of fools. At this point I will duck and put my helmet on.

I also have a temporary track laid in the throat area :? :?

This is going to be lifted this afternoon so that I can start painting the cork base before permanent laying the track and ballasting over the next 3/4 weeks. So images of this in a few weeks.

Yes, Thanks I have just checked Paypal.

Paypal emails are sent direct to my office email address. Try not to look at the office email over the weekends. :twisted:
'Er downstairs will put your magazines in the post. Have you sourced the 3 magazine by the way?

Bryan

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:17 am

What do you mean, the three magazines?

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:20 am

Raider wrote:I must admit I always add curtains to all the windows on the terraced house kits I make - I don't know of many homes that wouldn't have them in all windows.
Chris

Thanks Chris

Metcalfe certainly provide sufficient curtains to do the whole property based on what I have received but don't include them on the models made for advertising.

I have seen quite a few layouts without the lower floor being curtained.

As my terraces were 2nd hand and prebuilt. Do they give instructions to curtain downstairs?

Bryan

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:24 am

PTmodeller wrote:What do you mean, the three magazines?

:oops: Sorry should have typed 3rd magazine.

Model Rail No 37

Bryan

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:26 am

Oh, no. The things in it were wanted for something very far in the future.

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:36 am

O K Dave

But if I come across an edition being available I will bear your possible need in mind.

Bryan

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:59 am

Bryan Gundry wrote:As my terraces were 2nd hand and prebuilt. Do they give instructions to curtain downstairs?

Bryan

I can't remember to be honest - I follow the instructions and when it says 'Add curtains' I just added curtains to all the windows available, trying to make them look natural.

For me cutting the curtains out was a real pain, but as you say, they give enough for all of the windows in the kit, plus some spares.

Chris

waz

Postby waz » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:16 pm

Hi Bryan !!!!

Great work with the terrace. Looks a real treat. I have a sloping back scene at the back of my station. It doesn't look too bad. But then you see it face on and not from the side. Good luck with that one. I'll keep my eye out when you do it to see if you get round it.

My Best regards

BILL.

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:02 pm

Following on from yesterdays photos of Church Road today being Sunday I thought I would post the images of the Church this afternoon.

Note I am still working on the retaining wall before comments are made...

The location in context:

The preliminary idea from the south:

The current view:

The preliminary idea from the south east:

The current view:

A series of shots around the building:

Some detailed shots

I need to make some more headstones for the south side graves plus to place along the north wall.
Being the ones cleared from the open space to the east side where the ladies are having a gossip.... :)

Bryan

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”