Talfryn Hill Railway OO gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
redline41190

Talfryn Hill Railway OO gauge

Postby redline41190 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:14 am

Ive always wanted an OO gauge layout, simply because those British steamers just have wayyy more personality than our big clunky things. the plan is simple and was inspired by a few layouts here, mainly TomWebber's "Machynlleth" and thebuisnessman's "North Clipperby". the track plan is very much like Machynlleth and yet different. My layout runs around my bed, which is a loft, so its kind of under it...
that is the track plan, its really basic, and i dont even have any of the rolling stock yet, unless you count Bachmann's thomas stuff...

anyway i have to go eat. Let me know what you think! :D

Thanks
Jeremy

p.s.- could someone draw this up in Xtrackcad (is that how you spell it?) im no good at this computer drawing up stuff, even though im in web design classes... :P
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:15 am

sorry for the double post but, if you cant see the image let me know. I cant even see it! :P

DARN WINDOWS VISTA PARENTAL CONTROLS!!! :evil:

Raider

Postby Raider » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:27 am

Can see the picture fine - I have changed it to the larger photo as well so that you don't need to click to see it.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:43 am

thank you Raider :D

Now that dinner is over, and was delicious... not so much. Anyway those of you who have been into narrow gauge might remember my old layout, the Talfryn Hill Railway. It was getting much too costly, with the price of a coach kit above $30 (USA) and locomotives costing me around $250 a piece. I decided to box the stuff up and wait until I actually had the money to build it. It was during this time that I was inspired to build an OO gauge layout. This new layout uses the 4'x8' base board (though cut up into smaller sizes) and so I thought it would be fitting to name this layout after the old one, my first dream... So it evolved on paper the Talfryn Hill Railway, which is part of the BR somewhere in Wales. It has four stations 1) The main terminal Newbury, 2) a smaller country station Aberglasslyn, 3) The town where the name comes from Talfryn, and finally 4) the interchange with the narrow gauge railway (which may be modelled) Talfryn Hill. The track plan (above) is the result of about 2 weeks of drawings, and is the final one. when i get the time i will create the back of the layout... which should be next weekend. so until then, I'll keep busy with school, and such, and day dreaming.

Jeremy

comments and criticisms welcome, as well as questions! :D

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:25 am

Hi Jeremy.. nice drawing was it freehand?
Regards
Rob

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:24 pm

Ironduke wrote:Hi Jeremy.. nice drawing was it freehand?

yea :P... i got bored in my 4th hour class last week and doodled it out a few times.

I've also created a nice wish list of rolling stock :D, it really isnt that long, but its a dream! well for now...
All of these locomotives are Bachmann:
2MT 2-6-0
Manor Class "Freshford Manor" 4-6-0 BR
Crab 2-6-0
Hall Class "Saint Edmund Hall" 4-6-0 BR
All of these are in the $120 - $150 range, which is two weeks work for me! I might end up with the Bachmann "Royal Scot" set though, which is $200 but has 1 loco, 2 coaches, and track, the only thind I'd be worried about is the shipping. I would be outrageous for a box set! :o

The only Hornby locomotive I want is the SR 746 "Pendragon" N15 King Arthur Class 4-6-0.

Since the layout is set in Wales, much of the rolling stock will be EX- G.W.R, and I just really happen to like a lot of the G.W.R locomotives :D Now ive just got to work more, and stop buying silly video games :wink:

-Jeremy

EDIT: Notice how the locomotive sizes don't go over 4-6-0... hmm... :? i dunno why, but I doubt 8F & 9Fs showed up much on little branchlines :D

davidpk212

Postby davidpk212 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:32 pm

Castles, Manors, and such wouldn't have been seen much either... we're not like you in America who'd put a UP Big Boy on branchline passenger.

TomWebber

Postby TomWebber » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:05 pm

Hey Jeremy, nice plan and choice of area! The Manors would have run on your branchline - what they were designed for, aswell as the 2MT
Look forward to seeing it develop - if you need any help on the area please ask

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:16 pm

Thats a nice track plan there Jeremy, will look forward to seing that being developed!

On the loco front, Basically what you have said any also a 2-6-2t Prairie Tank was very popular up in the valleys- especially where i live!
Also a few saddle tanks etc.

I would have a 8F or 9F on a layout like that - especially for the coal trains and heavy mixed frieght Trains! Although i think either the Castle Class or Manor Class used to do the same job.

A couple of 4F's will do nicely as well :P

Best of luck

Adam

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:17 pm

TomWebber wrote:Hey Jeremy, nice plan and choice of area! The Manors would have run on your branchline - what they were designed for, aswell as the 2MT
Look forward to seeing it develop - if you need any help on the area please ask

Hi Tom! you should remember the reason for choosing the locale (small obsession with small trains) :D. I thought that the Manors ran the branchlines alongside 2MTs and such, and yes I will ask for help (trust me there will come a point when I will need help) :wink:

Class 60 wrote: Thats a nice track plan there Jeremy, will look forward to seing that being developed!

On the loco front, Basically what you have said any also a 2-6-2t Prairie Tank was very popular up in the valleys- especially where i live!
Also a few saddle tanks etc.

I would have a 8F or 9F on a layout like that - especially for the coal trains and heavy mixed frieght Trains! Although i think either the Castle Class or Manor Class used to do the same job.

A couple of 4F's will do nicely as well :P

Hmmm a 2-6-2T? what about 4MT tanks 2-6-4Ts :D?

The only reason I wouldn't put an 8F or 9F on the layout is space concerns and corner concerns, though I don't think the curves will be too tight. My space concern is that it would look silly pulling only about 10-15 small wagons or vans, a huge 2-8-0/ 2-10-0 and 10 wagons :?

Yes I did plan on atleast one 4F and I should be getting a "Jinty" to accompany it, I'm just trying to find the space for an engine shed big enough to accommodate all of them as well as be space smart, maybe a shed and a few sidings :o

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:27 pm

Sorry bout double post, but

Just drew this up in my 2nd hour web design class, The red lines are the mainline and the brown block is the shed. I think its a good starter idea. Comments and criticisms welcome! :D

Jeremy

EDIT: Oops forgot to ask...

Does anyone know if Bachmann's Castles, Manors, 2MTs, and some of the larger tanks have a DCC plug or am i going to have to do some fiddly work?

redline41190

3D room/ plan thing

Postby redline41190 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:43 pm

last week we had to make a 3D room in my digital design class, so today i opted to change it a bit to reflect my room!

The red is the train layout, and that big thing is my loft bed :?. I will be starting work this weekend and I will be getting real pictures (mom just got a new digital camera! :D) so watch this space!

enjoy!

Jeremy

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:17 pm

Just a quick update:

1) I asked Raider to change name of the thread, and he did! Thank you Raider!!

2) I've organized the wood needed to start making the layout! its sitting in the garage, and Ive started to measure and cut it! :D

3) Ive decided to purchase my first locomotive! Bachmann's Hall Class "Saint Edmund Hall" 4-6-0 from eHattons! Yay! :D
I expect to be actually buying it... uhh.. in about 3 weeks, seeing as I only have $20, and i need around $120 :roll:

4) And I've only got one more thing to do on my "massive list of things to do for the layout", and that would be, cleaning my room :wink:

Jeremy

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:05 am

Some new real pics! the are of the room and the wood supply. Hopefully (since the money fairy visited me last night) I will be able to buy Saint Edmund hall sometime this week!
[img=http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/81/dsc00050mm9.th.jpg]
a main image of my room (messy floor :roll:)
[img=http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/81/dsc00050mm9.th.jpg]
front side
[img=http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/421/dsc00053hd1.th.jpg]
Wood supply

im almost ready to start building! just gotta clean up first
:wink:

Jeremy

redline41190

Rollingstock Changes

Postby redline41190 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:22 pm

Although I got some money (enough to buy my Hall class), Ive decided to buy a Manor instead, 7825 "Lechlade Manor", at £49 (from ehattons) its a little less expensive than the Hall class at £56, and according to hattons a "bargain" :wink:

Heres where I need help, what kind of coaches ran behind the Cambrian Coast Express? were the Collett types :? or a mix of BR MK1s and Colletts? and what was the consist of the Cambrian Coast Express? as well as consists for everyday branchline passenger trains. So anyone who knows could you let me know?

Thanks! :D

Jeremy

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”