Edgware GN,

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Edgware GN,

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:45 pm

Well at least your glue will be drying! It has been below zero hereabouts for the last week and paint a glue are taking an eternity to dry. Keep up the good work

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

manna

Postby manna » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:15 am

G'Day Gents

Thanks for the replies. Yes it would dry 'IF' I could get outside to do anything 47c is as awkward to work in as -7c, The glue dries,You melt :lol:

Ex-Pat, yeah, they've all got a home to go to, (See below) , the tender with 'One' toolbox, goes on the J1, the tender with 'Two' toolboxes, is for the C2 Atlantic, and the D3 4-4-0, gets the tender without a toolbox.

The other two pics are of J4, returning to Kings Cross goods yard with a ballast train.

manna
Attachments
Class J1.JPG
Class C2.JPG
Class D3.JPG
DSCF3618.JPG
J4, 4040 with a ballast train
DSCF3619.JPG
J4, with a ballast train
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 am

Cant wait to see some paint on those manna!

manna

Postby manna » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:23 am

G'Day Gents

Yes 'joshv8' some paint would look good, but not just yet still a bit of work before I can splash the paint around, whilst waiting for some filler to dry, it was back to the backscene behind the station, a board was painted sky blue, the building prints were cut out and stuck onto the board, the whole lot was then jammed up against the wall to see how it'll look, I'm happy with it :D .

Plus a gratuitous shot of the O1 ready for it's next working out of the fiddle yard.

manna
Attachments
DSCF3624.JPG
DSCF3625.JPG
DSCF3626.JPG

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:05 am

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

I'm happy with it :D .

manna

So would I be!

O1 looks the part too.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:45 am

Great progress Manna - keep up the good work

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

manna

Postby manna » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:23 pm

G'Day Gents

As you all know me, I always have my fingers in many pies, it is a case of I think of something, then try it to see if I can do it, and sometimes, it works out, I had such a thought about a month ago, I was looking at a Hornby 0-8-0 chassis, the un-powered one, I was wondering what to do with it, seemed a waste, just to leave it in the draw, did I want to make another Q1, or Q2, and O2, no, just bought one, then with a bit of a bang, I wonder if the cylinders of a D49 (Hornby 4-4-0) would fit, reckon so,, with a trailing bogie, a front pony, I'd have a 2-8-2 chassis, a Gresley P1, only two built, used between Peterborough and Hornsey, and with plenty of 'Flying Scotsman body shells laying around, lets give it a whirl.

Plenty of hacking, so removed the running plate, and replaced it with a new one lower down, I filled in the underside of the boiler, (this one will be tender drive), giving me at the moment this.

manna
Attachments
DSCF3629.JPG
DSCF3628.JPG
DSCF3627.JPG

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:45 pm

Possibly your biggest pie to date, and it's much more recognisable at such an early stage than others have been. Should be a real belter when finished.

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:50 pm

I love the low relief, often they are small, and you can only photograph them at a very narrow angle to make them look ok, but at your size you should be able to get all sorts of angles, if necessary to avoid the side of the building being noticeable pop a vehicle or something in the way. Looking good.

manna

Postby manna » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:49 pm

G'Day Gents

Thanks for the comments, I have been doing a little bit on the P1, building up the cylinders and making the stretcher between them, but not a lot is going to happen for the next few days, the wife's in hospital having a cancer cut out of her leg, I'll be spending a bit of time there telling the nurses, they need a train set. :lol: :lol:

Ditto, with the backscene, but I have finally worked out what the large building is behind the old station, went on Google Earth, the view from the roof of the car, they are still there, they are shops, with double story 'Flats' above, the shops look quite tall, which give's them a dominant look.

manna

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:22 pm

A very interesting project.
I like unusual locos, especially might have beens which can puzzle enthusiasts as they look like something but they can't put their finger on what the loco is! :D
I once made such a loco which ended up being a tank engine version of the B1. It looked close to another class of loco but wasn't the same. A bit of fun.
Yours is a model of an actual loco. A rewarding way of using bits and pieces. :)

manna

Postby manna » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:39 am

G'Day Gents

The wife's coming home, everything's good. But I've only done a little bit on the P1, cleaned up the cylinders and made up the pony truck, but every little helps :D

manna
Attachments
DSCF3632.JPG
DSCF3633.JPG

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:53 am

Wot - no booster on the rear axle :shock: :lol: To be fair the boosters didn't last long! Fantastic conversion, or should I say retro engineering, as you are converting an A3 to a P1, but in reality the boilers from the two locomotives were used on A3s after the locos were scrapped!

Great work

Jim

manna

Postby manna » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:58 am

G'Day Gents

Oh, it'll have a booster, I have the air pump, it's the little brass glint on the tender.

manna

manna

Postby manna » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:36 am

G'day Gents

Lucky for me the wife is mending, still have the District Nurse coming in twice a week to dress the wife's wounds, so modelling time is increasing. I've been out in the shed while the wife was resting, so the back of Mill Hill has been filled with polystyrene, then covered with plaster and paper wipes, bit of a rub down and it'll be ready for a coat of paint.

My Brother has come over from the UK for a couple of weeks holiday, and bought me a box of 'Goodies' chassis, loco's bit's and bobs, including a new tender for the B1, the rear pony for the P1, so they can be restarted.

But the part that has got me all fired up, is a 0-8-2 chassis I pick up from E-Bay a couple of months ago, it seems to be a kit built unit with Hornby wheels and complete with a XO4 motor, I've started the body already, it will be a LNER R1 0-8-2T. Piccy time.

manna
Attachments
DSCF3655.JPG
DSCF3658.JPG
DSCF3659.JPG
DSCF3660.JPG
DSCF3664.JPG

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”